1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is there a way to get a 12mm equivalent in an adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by perpetualjon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. perpetualjon

perpetualjon Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    I'm currently using a Pany 20mm/1.7 along with a wide-angle adapter:
    adapted-lens-01.

It's a Raynox 37mm 0.66x adapter that effectively brings my collective glass from a 20mm down to a 13mm. However, you can see from the example shot below that it doesn't really handle the edges very well:

disney-2014-01-012.

Anything outside of the center of the lens is out of focus. Now I've actually grown to enjoy and even prefer this effect but I know that this is merely a "hack" and not the optimal arrangement for my plastic-framed 20mm...

So, out of just shear lack of reasonably priced wide-angle glass in the u43 world, maybe I need to go out into another lens ecosystem and find something to adapt? Maybe a vintage 24mm Canon or something like that would get me the same result without blurring the surrounding portions of a shot? I've managed to find vintage Canon 24mm/2.0 but am I missing something? I just don't want to pay $800 for the Oly 12mm/2.0 but I may just not have an option. Autofocus is a nice feature to have... Your thoughts??

2. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Have a read of this thread on here https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=58677
    A cheap 24mm old prime and the cheap focal reducer will get you pretty close to 12mm FL on m43. I think the Metabones version will actually get you back to 24mm i.e. 12mm FL on m43 and although it's more expensive it would still be cheaper than the 12mm f2.0

3. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    My recommendation would be to get the Olympus 12-50 kit lens which can be had used for ~$200 and is actually quite good at 12mm. In addition you get a pretty nice 43mm macro lens and a weather sealed take anywhere zoom.
    Also, it does autofocus rather quickly and has a power zoom feature for video.
    Rudy

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Try and find a Panasonic 12-32 pancake. That lens is extremely good at 12mm, best you can get after the f/2.8 12-X zooms and the O12 prime.

5. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Did you consider the 7.5mm fisheye? You can defish it for really wide shots.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    How about adapting a Tokina 11-16/2.8 or similar?

7. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I'm not sure that you understand focal length. It's a physical property of a lens. A vintage 24mm is not going to be the same as a native 12mm. You'd need a vintage 12mm to be the same (field of view) as a native 12mm. Focal length is focal length; it has nothing to do with the "lens ecosystem."

Your easiest vintage option would be to Speedboost a 17mm lens. That would give you a 12mm FOV. A Lens Turbo for $99 and a 17mm (perhaps Tokina?) for $250 would be about as cheap as it got.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If 12mm is what you want, there are several options that cover that in the m4/3 lineup. Granted some of them are expensive but a couple aren't. There are several kit type zooms that start at 12mm. The Panasonic 12-32mm sells for about $400 and the Olympus 12-50mm is $100 more. A used on on ebay or craigslist should be even less. An adapted 17mm with a lens turbo would give you a 12mm but the lens turbo adaptor may not be the best optically.

9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Panasonic 14mm can be had for $150 and the 11mm wide angle adapter that fits it can be had for $100. That's $250 for what I think is 10.5mm.

Or, you could buy the 12-32 for $300.

The Rokinon/Bauer Fisheye can be had for $200. Shoot 16:9 you might not need to defish.

The new 9mm Olympus body cap lens will be $99.

Or take 3 shots with your 20 and stitch them panorama.

10. euler_spiz

euler_spiz Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Cantabria, Spain
    LP Hoyos
    Have you considered SLR Magic 12mm f1.6. ?
    Not an adapted lens, they produce it for MFT mount.
    Nice looking lens (well, IMO). Only MF, includes DOF scale like old lenses.
    But probably too expensive.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    No it won't. The reduction factor is only 0.71, not 0.5. For either the cheap LensTurbo, or the expensive Speedbooster, you will need a 17mm lens to get an effective 24mm.

To the OP, AF means native lens. If you can live with MF, then the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 mentioned above is a nice option, if you are looking for a landscape or architecture lens. For other uses, you should be able to find a 12mm c mount lens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I also came across this photo by someone using the 20mm lens and Raynox 0.66x filter on a GF-1. They seem to have nice results too. So for those looking for a Cheep Wide angle 12mm alternative. The Raynox 37mm 0.66x seems to be good.
    I seen nothing written to support that it is recommended for the PL 20mm, yet some people apparently use it on that lens anyway with nice results.
    However, Their site lists some compatible Filter converters for the Olympus lenses mainly for the M.Zuiko 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 Mk II. I found this page that explains it.

Also to perpetualjon, I commented on your other post on that thread.. Sorry For not consolidating them but got confused looking at both threads..lol

13. perpetualjon

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Well I THOUGHT I understood focal length... Lenses on the typical u43 platform (like my GH2) are effectively double the equivalent focal length on a full-frame platform (like Canon). That tells me that if I want to find a vintage equivalent of the modern 12mm in u43, I would need a 24mm Canon lens. Correct?

14. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Nope, as edmsnap said, FL is FL. A 24mm on full frame is "wider" than it is on m4/3 because the FF sensor is bigger. Put the 24mm on a m4/3 camera and the smaller sensor crops the image, making it less wide.

If you're on a budget the P14, which can be found on e-bay for ~$170, is probably your best bet. Not as good as lens, but the P14-42 kit zoom goes for $80 or so used. If you really want 12mm then either of the kit zooms that start at 12mm are the way to go.

15. perpetualjon

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Thanks everyone for all your comments so far!! I will mention that I already have and use the 7.5mm fisheye but at an f/3.5 it's just too slow for most of the low-light shots I have to work with. I need to stay at an f/2.0 or faster. This also rules out most kit / zoom lenses too.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Fast and wide is going to cost. Start saving your pennies. :)

17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    SpeedBooster + Sigma 8-16 in Nikon mount will give you 5.7mm real (11.4mm equivalent) focal length.

19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If you need f/2.0 or faster at that kind of width, you have a couple options I'm aware of:

Olympus 12mm f/2.0 - this can be had on the used market for a lot less than $800. Recent prices seem to hover at $600 and below
    SLR Magic 12mm T/1.6 - manual focus, but native mount and available for $499 used or $599 new

You could maybe buy a speedbooster and an old vintage 17mm lens to convert, but in my experience wide fast glass like that isn't easy to find cheap, and adding in the cost of the speedbooster you'll be out a pretty good chunk of change. I'd just as soon go for a used 12mm myself.

If you can live with a little bit slower option at f/2.5, you could use the 14mm w/wide angle adapter as noted above.

20. perpetualjon

Oct 30, 2013
    Southern California
    Thanks but all of these still put me up at the f/3.5 and I need to be at a 2.0 or faster. I think you're right RichDesmond, fast and wide is going to cost me!!