1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a way to "fake" minimum shutter speed with auto ISO?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by agentlossing, May 30, 2016.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think not having the ability to set a minimum shutter speed with auto ISO is one of the maddening oversights about our format. Hadn't been much of a problem until last week when I did some street shooting in Seattle's Pike Place market. Due to the wildly changeable lighting I used A mode with auto ISO and dialed exposure comp up and down as needed. Problem was, the camera usually used 1/60 sec and a lot of those shots were motion blurred. I solved that by fixing the ISO, but it would have been really nice to do what I was doing at first, but limit the shutter to, say, 1/160 sec or more.

I remember reading that there is a "cheat" to set a minimum shutter speed in some m4/3 cameras, related in some way to the flash. However, I never took notice when I came across that trick and can't remember where I saw it.

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Flash slow limit setting (Olympus menu). Works only with mechanical shutter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    (on Olympus bodies)

4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Does anyone know whether Panasonic bodies have an equivalent setting?

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @agentlossing@agentlossing I ususally use A mode/auto ISO, too, but in a situation such as this, I'd switch to S mode or M mode, both with auto ISO. Allows me to dial in the decisive values (shutter speed, maybe aperture for some DoF control), auto ISO takes care of the rest. I usually prefer A mode because I don't shoot a lot of action (if you don't count street) because it gives me all the creative control I need, but for fast moving subjects, it's not the best approach. On the Olympus bodies, the method budeny outlined works well enough, but it's limited to the highest flash sync speed.

I'm not aware of a possibility to set a minimum shutter speed on Panasonic bodies (my GX80 is still very new to me anyway). So I'd appreciate some information on that as well - if the option exists, that is.

M.

6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Supposedly, iISO on Panasonic bodies should take care of detecting movement in frame and adjust ISO vs. shutter. Not sure how well that works in real life.

• Like Like x 1
  7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I should've used S mode in this instance, in retrospect. Auto ISO in M would have tried to go for a "balanced" exposure and the light definitely wasn't balanced.

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I should use that setting some more and see if it works, I've often wondered why it was even there! Thanks!

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    True, true! I usually ignore anything Panasonic labels "i-" anything, although I should embrace the level of technological magic they build into their cameras these days and stop being so archaic.

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use i-ISO sometimes, but it has limited use. If the subject stops moving for even a second the shutter speed drops right down again...

12. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It's possible, but may also be just a LCD/EVF refresh rate issue. The camera may be choosing a different iso/shutter speed even after each sensor refresh (like 60 times per seconds) or after a few ones. But it would not make sense to update the values on the screen at this same rate as it would make it just unreadable and useless anyway. So it may update the screen value once per second for example with the current average or just the last computed value.

It's just an hypothesis but it seems strange to me that a feature that deals with fast moving subject might fail right there. But of course it's possible.