Is there a problem with Depth of Field on Four Thirds Cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by goldenlight, Feb 7, 2013.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I keep hearing that the :43: format isn't very good for depth of field. Can't see a problem myself, I find it's got loads!

• Like Like x 11
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It is all depending on what you want. Personally, I find the "only one eyelash in focus" shots distracting. Kind of like the new Les Miserables movie, when Fantine is crying/singing. She keeps moving her head a couple of inches back and forth, and ends up constantly going in and out of focus. Why they didn't shoot it with enough DoF to keep her focused in the shot, even with small movements, I don't know.
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    In reality, so-called Full Frame has a DOF problem: you have to sometimes close the aperture to f/8 or smaller, starting to risk diffraction with some modern cameras and having much lower light transmission (i.e. having to probably up the ISO). :tongue:

This DOF discussion is mostly boring, IMHO.

Seriously now, I suggested to some photography friends boasting about shallow DOF in their FF cameras, to check what percentage of their "keeper" images are in the f/1.4 to f/2.0 zone. Because if the number is, say, 5% or lower, they don't really need FF for that reason alone.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Beautiful composition and lovely colours. Great to see you were able to cope so well with that DOF problem :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    I think you're misunderstanding ... the smaller sensor of MFT gives deeper depth of focus (think pinhole camera). Some people prefer the shallower DoF that full-frame sensors give for bokeh etc on fast lenses. Or maybe I'm missing an attempt at irony.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Supposedly that action adds to the emotional state she was in. There's all sorts of tricks to add emotion. That movie went to that well a little too often for my taste with all the tonsil shots and so on.. but I like that they tried.
  7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    OP wrote a photography book. Dude is being facetious.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaahaah Ya ... :eek::eek:
    I dont see any major issues with DOF which is over used and the most boring term in photography along with IQ . On the contrary MFT gives you best compromise .
  9. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Ah, now be careful when confusing depth of field and depth of focus. Depth of focus refers to the distance between the lens and the film/sensor plane. Maybe I was just making the point that a wide depth of field is an advantage for some subjects. :smile:
  10. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sardonic, me thinks.
  11. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Oh dear, I'm sorry if I appear facetious and I certainly didn't mean to be sardonic, more light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek whilst trying to make the point that a shallow DOF is not always desired, quite the opposite in fact. :redface: :smile:
  12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    A greater depth of field compared to some other systems is a real bonus for Macro photography
    'Swings and Roundabouts' as they say
  13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The field in his picture has lots of depth, and ruts, and furrows... :rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some people have gone shallow DOF nuts!!! If used properly it can be very beautiful but can be butt ugly if you use it wrong.

M4/3 has a deeper DOF than APS or FF but it only a small amount. A deeper DOF can be used to an advantage too! Handy for tele shooting or macro work where the long lend or extreme close focusing makes the DOF super slim.
  15. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    MFT format will never be the equal of 135 format for depth of field...Let's see what other golden quotes I can find....going to dpreview forums and comments. BRB :p