1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

is there a move towards m 4/3 in the USA?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chuck Pike, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    First, let me say I am glad to see you here. My latest order from B&H was delived just yesterday.

Different sources talk about how the m 4/3 have seen increased sales in some markets, but that it is lacking in the USA. Are you seeing that Panasonic and Olympus are going to be supporting m 4/3 more in their advertising in the future in this country? Many of us found m 4/3 by accident, I know I did. I was looking for a smaller, lighter, camera and had looked at the Leica X1, when I found the m 4/3 format. I think you could sell a lot of these cameras if people knew about them. My camera club had a speaker who gave an assessment on the m 4/3 that was way out of date. Made me realize that even though he worked for a retail camera outlet, he didn't know much about the product.

Images for books, magazines and calendars | photosbypike

• Like Like x 5
  2. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

Thanks for your kind words, we are glad to be here.

I purchased one of the first 4/3rd's cameras, the Olympus E-300 and enjoyed it for many years. The 4/3rd format was eventually pushed out of the market by cameras with APS-C size sensors becoming affordable.

What revitalized the format was the change over to the Micro 4/3rd or camera designs without reflex mirrors. First and foremost Micro 4/3rd cameras were smaller and this quickly made them very popular. Because of the shorter Flange focal distance, many design innovations and lens adapters became available. Leica rangefinder users could now use their prized M mount lens on an affordable digital camera.

Recently 2 new products have added to the Micro 4/3rd arena;

Panasonic's AG-AF100 Micro Four Thirds Professional HD Camcorder represents an enormous leap forward in affordable, cinema-quality video imaging. The AG-AF100 series is the first professional HD camera recorder to adopt the Micro Four Thirds standards.

The Blackmagic Cinema Camera from Blackmagic Design uses a similar Micro Four Thirds setup and again due to the shorter Flange focal distance allows for the use of many different lens mounts.

• Like Like x 1