Is there a hack for the G3 firmware?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RickyLee, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Hi,

Got a G3, fairly happy with it. Just little disappointed that Panasonic has limited the video recording to 30mins.

Is there a hack to remove this limit?

2. Giant bubble guy

Giant bubble guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    There isn't a hack yet. The guy that developed the GH2 hack says he will be coming out with a hack for the G3 eventually. It may be a long time 'till it's available. His forum with news regarding his hacks and their progress is here: Hacks News and Development

Dustin

3. RickyLee

RickyLee Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks for the link! awesome, I can't wait!

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    According to Panasonic's website:
    "The time available for recording varies depending on the environment, the interval between recordings, and the manner of use. Actual recordable time is the time available for recording when repeating actions such as switching the power supply [ON]/[OFF], starting/stopping recording, zoom operation etc. For Europe, motion pictures can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds. The maximum continuous recording time (up to 29 minutes 59 seconds) is displayed on the screen. Motion picture recorded continuously in Motion JPEG is up to 2 GB. Only the maximum recordable time for 2 GB is displayed on the screen. AVCHD can be recorded to the capacity of the card. (The recording may stop even if there is more space left in the card depending on the life of the battery.)"

DMC-G3 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

Why do you suppose they only put this restriction in place in Europe only? I suppose a solution would be to buy a US-model G3, although you might as well by then just step up to the GH2. I just looked at the G2's and the GH2's websites as well, and they also have the 29m59s shooting time restriction *for Europe only.* So, maybe you want to deal with someone trustworthy on this forum to ship you over a GH2. They can unpack it for you so that it looks used and won't be subject to VAT, and ship it over. The GH2 has improved battery life anyway for shooting such long video.

5. Giant bubble guy

Sep 11, 2011
    You're welcome. I hope it gets here sooner than later. I really love my G3, but Panasonic really limited its video capabilities to prevent cannibalizing GH2 sales. It's too bad about the European versions of the G3 being even more limited (regarding video recording time length restrictions).

I'll be sure to post here when the hack appears.

6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    In the EU, "camcorders" are capable of recording 30+ minutes of video, and are taxed an extra 4.9%. To avoid the tax, videos are capped at 29min59sec. Info provided here: The Panasonic LUMIX GH1 30 minutes EU recording issue and firmware petition | Philip Bloom

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    So then, in what sense did Panasonic cripple the G3, as asserted above? In the US, unless I'm missing something on the specs page, the G3 only seems limited by its inadequately-sized battery, to about an hour of 17 Mbps, full 1080/60i AVCHD.

8. Giant bubble guy

Sep 11, 2011
    Shnitz,

Panasonic has limited the ability of the G3 user to control shutter speed, aperture and many other parameters while recording video. It's my understanding that the G3 would be every bit as capable with video as the GH2 is if Panasonic had written the firmware to allow it. I don't knock Panasonic for it, as it makes good financial sense. I will however hack my G3's firmware when the hack becomes available (assuming that the hack enables the increased control of video that I wish my G3 had been given).