1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is there a difference among different photo upload services?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mercurio, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Mercurio

Mercurio Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Bogotá, Colombia
    Mauricio
    I have been using Photobucket to upload many of my images that I share though the web without a particular reason: maybe it was the first one I tried. Nevertheless, some friends recommended me to move to others such as Flickr but I don´t know if there is a good reason to do it.

I will like to know if there are substantial differences among the different photo sharing upload services in terms of IQ or if any other will work for sharing purposes.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yes.

A lot of services downrez the photos to save space. How they do it impacts image quality quite a bit. I use flickr and for a pro account.

3. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    it all depends upon what you want to do and what quality of service you want to have. if you want simple sharing and not high rez and do not mind all the advertisements then those work. or if you want offsite storage and hosting of your images then you might want to consider a paid site like smugmug.

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Photobucket seems OK. I used to use it exclusively but then noticed that the photo that was at photo bucket wasn't the same photo that I uploaded. It was smaller in byte size . So they do something. I didn't like their layout either. Too many ads and fluff.
    Google picasaweb is very fast but image quality is noticeably worse.
    Flickr looks nice. Even though I think they downsize images their programs for doing so actually make photos look better. I don't care too much for their layout but it has a huge discussion component built-in if you participate in the groups etc.

I use Zenfolio. It does not modify the photo that is uploaded and the layout looks very nice. It does not have a free version though.

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Zenfolio and 500px are tops!

6. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Different people will have different preferences. I'm not a fan of how Flickr processes images, but I do like 500px and Google+.

7. zorancc

zorancc New to Mu-43

Pbucket is excellent.

8. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I think flickr does some great sharpening, and it's community is probably second to none. Yet... flickr has an absolutely terrible interface. I don't understand how a photo dedicated website dedicates so little space to actually showing photos. I use it mostly to share images, but my preferred platform is 500px. Pictures there also average better quality due to the 10 pics max per upload limit.

9. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

What about Picasa how does that compare?

10. Jen726

Jen726 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 18, 2012
    California
    Jen
    I used to use Picasa but I think it's tied to Google+ and notifies all your contacts. The old version used to let you decide who can see the albums first.

I like SmugMug. Uploads full size images and you can download let your friends/family download the whole album at once by choosing the Download entire album option (and they'll email you a link to a ZIP file you can then email out to everyone).

If you go Pro (which I didn't- just got the basic), you can also set up purchasing, watermarking, etc.