Is there a consensus favorite filter adapter for a Lumix 7-14?

Real Name
Ovidiu
If you are interested in a more manageable filter system for the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f 4 ASPH you can have a look at this, BUT it's not going to be cheap (and most of the blame can be put on the economy of scale: there is not enough demand to have a production massive enough to lower the cost):
(I have not personally used this product so I can't give any useful information on quality or effectiveness)

https://shop.stcoptics.com/product/screwinlens_panasonic/

1617882436078.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And for those wary of clicking on links here's the highlights according to the manufacturer: at 100 $ it's not the cheapest solution either.
  • Screw-in 105mm Slim filter (the thickness of rim under 2.5mm) is available without vignetting.
  • This adapter is made by 6061 aluminium which is ultra light and corrosion resistance with precise CNC machinery.
  • Providing extra protection to the front lens element for easy portability.
  • The tenon on adapter is designed for fully integrating with the tulip lens hood, and prevented loosening and displacement.
  • Sandblasting the adapter surface of interior side can significantly reduce reflection and flare, and improve the image quality.
  • Installation Cautions: Do not remove the UV, CPL or ND filter before loosening the lockring and lens adapter. The interior side of glass would be scratched by the petal shaped hood.
  • Using Cautions: While attaching on the lens adapter, the vignetting situation caused by the lens optical condition would exist.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Back in the day, I got a similar system as the one shown above 3d printed. I took a 105mm (or 95mm, can't remember) UV filter and broke out the glass to get the thread and glued that into place. The system worked, but 105mm ND filters (I wanted a 10 stop) are very hard to find in high quality and for an acceptable price. The System had an uneven colour cast and required extensive post work. The moment the PL8-18 came out I bought that and never looked back. I still have the old system as my wife got the 7-14mm.

Real Name
Ovidiu
I wouldn't expect anything smaller than 100mm to work too well given the very wide-angle to avoid vignetting. It does come at a very high cost to buy 105mm filters so it needs to be balanced between the cost of filters per needs and choosing a lens that offers a filter thread like Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f 2.8-4 ASPH or Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f 4-5.6, or 3rd party manual lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom