1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is there a camcorder that can take m4/3 lenses under £2K?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Sam Care, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Sam Care

Sam Care New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2015
    Hi everyone.

I'm a new member on here so I'm sorry if this has been talked about before. I've searched the threads and didn't find anything.

I shoot short documentaries for businesses and charities. I use a GH4 and have a range of lenses, grip, lights etc. I love my setup and it suits the majority of my purposes. I normally shoot short interviews and lots of short b-roll stuff so the 30 minute limit is rarely a problem.

The only thing the 30 minute limit is a pain for is filming long speeches or performances which I'm sometimes asked to cover. Also the GH4 is a hassle when I need to be up and running immediately. The kind of ENG-esque situations when in the past I've used cameras like Z1, EX1, EX3, XF305 etc etc I can pick up the camera and in a few seconds have it in my hand comfortably against my shoulder and be ready to go.

So I'm thinking about buying another camera along those lines. Ideally I'd like to be able to put my m4/3 lenses on it. 4K would be nice but by no means essential.

Any suggestions / reviews? The issue is, I don't really want to spend more than £1K - £2K.

Something like the AF101 I guess, but it's a bit out of budget and reviews don't seem glowing. I think for my budget I'll probably have to go for something with a fixed lens but thought I'd ask here as a last resort.

Big thanks in advance,

Sam

2. techsplorer

techsplorer Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Blackmagic cameras?

4. Sam Care

Sam Care New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks techsplorer! Am I right in thinking the AF100 is USA version of AF101? That's a great price. The AF101 here is £3000+
    It feels funny buying a camera that came out 5 years ago but I guess if it does the job I need it to, it doesn't matter?

5. Sam Care

Sam Care New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks @Klorenzo@Klorenzo - Maybe Blackmagic but from other shooters I've spoken to you need time to set them up like a DSLR. Anyone got any experience of BM cameras in an ENG situation?

6. Sam Care

Sam Care New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2015
    @Klorenzo@Klorenzo Hmmm the BM Ursa Mini looks like it could work for what I need but no MFT mount. Darn.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    What's missing with the BM Cinema for example?

8. Sam Care

Sam Care New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2015
    @Klorenzo@Klorenzo Not sure as I've not worked with one but I guess general non-ergonomically friendly design for quick operation? I find proper camcorders perfect for working quickly with in fast-moving situations. My gut is that the the BMCC wouldn't be good for that.

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I see, the shape is much different, no EVF, etc. You can add a ton of external grip/supports (for extra money...) but...

An imported GH4 (or similar camera) could be another option, but again ergonomics are the one you already know.

10. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I'd second the idea of an imported camera. The US G7 has no limit on record time for AHCVD. By all accounts, it is a very good video camera. If you only plan to use it for video, it should not hard to keep its settings ready to go. A quick google says no HDMI out in recording mode, but you can always use the tablet software via WiFi.

$750 at B&H. How cheaply can you fly to NYC?

11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    This has puzzled me for some time too - if the UK version had been £1500 or so I would have picked one (or more) up too for the very same reasons you are looking, though I'm tempted to pick up a GH4R now that they are available with unlimited recording in the UK.

12. techsplorer

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    Yes, it looks like the AF100 is the US, NTSC version. So it's just a market name change.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/archive/index.php/t-232569.html

13. techsplorer

May 8, 2015
    Townsend, TN
    Rodion "Rod" Molina
    The BM cinema is more of a filmmakers' camera vs ENG since its usability doesn't lend itself well to the "run-and-gun" style shooting that ENG typically entails. It's more specialized for the kind of workflow that involves more post production work (color grading, etc) vs. being able to use your footage mostly as-is. It's basically shooting in Raw mode for video. There aren't any rules that say you can't try using it for ENG purposes though. It just comes down to the usability and workflow you want.

I think you're on the right track looking for something with the camcorder form factor for your specific purposes. Coming from the days of lugging large Betacam, DVcam and HDCam camcorders, I welcomed the video capabilities in today's smaller DSLR andmirrorless cameras but still appreciate the benefits and applications for dedicated video cameras.

14. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    You can pick up the excellent Canon XF100 on ebay for about £1200 or less. We used three of these on jobs and TBH I regret selling them. Dual XLRs, 10x zoom and dual card recording. Worth a look.

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The G7 can only record 29 minutes 59 seconds, at least here in the USA. The BMCC is going to be more expensive once you add a rig, etc.

This is the only camcorder style camera other the AF100 close to your price, and it is more expensive. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1096581-REG/jvc_gy_ls300_4kcam_handheld_s35mm.html

I think that you might want to reconsider the G4. You mentioned speeches, and being up and running immediately, surely you will need to set up a tripod, etc. However, the G4 is a classic run and gun camera, it gets and up and running immediately. It is certainly more easily carried than a camcorder-style camera. If you want to anchor it against your shoulder, buy a rig.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet. The US G7 has no limit on record time for AHCVD. I just recorded a 52 minute video. Other formats are time limited.

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  18. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Was your 52 minute video one continuous clip or was it broken into two?

19. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    B&H's description is simplistic. There is no time limit on the AHCVD formats; there are limits on other formats. There is a 4GB file size limit, which is close to 30 minutes in some of the better image formats. I'm currently testing how long I can go with a lower quality format. This post talks about recombining split files with a DOC command. I'm not going to test that, but reddit suggests that it works.

http://pcnext.net/2013/08/31/merge-video-files-one-dos-command/94

The 52 minute file did break at 31:15 because of file size limits. I need to go back and see if the camera "sees" it as a split file or seamlessly merges them.

20. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    How does any camera recording to an SD card get around the FAT32 limit on file size?