Is there a backup camera for ep5 with same battery?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I'd like to have a small Olympus camera as backup for my ep5. But I'd like it to have the same battery system. Is there such a model?
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think the E-P5 is the smallest camera that uses that battery. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the smaller bodies all use a different battery.
  3. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    BLN 1 only works in Olympus OM-D E-M5 , EM1, & PEN E-P5 (currently). You might look into a GM1 if you want small
  4. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Heck, my E-M5 feels smaller than my E-P5.
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Shared battery/charger is usually a determining factor when selecting a backup body. E-M10/E-PM2 combo works great for me. E-P5 is an oddball, the only PEN with BN-1 battery
  6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    Sadly no.

Though after spending a week in and around NYC I'm considering adding a Sony RX100III to my collection. The E-P5 and E-M1 were great most of the time but there were times when I really would have liked having a pocket camera.
  7. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking a pl5 might be my best solution for a small backup. I like Oly jpgs, it has a tilt lcd, and I'm familiar with the operating system. Prices should drop once the pl7 starts shipping.
  8. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    In the B&S section there's a used e-pl5 (10k actuations) for 225. 3rd party batteries are cheap, don't let the battery incompatability hold you down...

sent from my Xperia Z