1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the X 14-42 sharp enough?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Bill, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    There will be plenty of detailed reviews later, but I wanted to see if the pancake X 14-42mm does a good job beyond 14mm. So, I did a a quick and dirty comparison of the X14-42mm and the 14-140mm. The Lightroom crops on my blog are at 2 to 1. Serious pixel-peeping. The crops are from the near-centres of the frames.

Both are at about 35mm, hand-held, f5.6, 1/1250, ISO160, and with stabilisation.

Bill Danby

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If you don't have the double-image problem at the long end that has been reported, it looks like a decent lens. Not too surprising that it would equal the 14-140 in the center. Given the convenient package, I hope they resolve the other problem quickly...

DH

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the double image problem is the 45-175X, not the little pancake

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  5. haigaw

haigaw Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    interesting, my 14-42X was actually sharper after firmware update. compared to my kit 14-42 at wide and tele end both were pretty much the same (RAW, untouched). Before the firmware update the X lens was pretty blurry no matter what i did

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I have yet to see a review or samples that give me good confidence to buy the pancake. While Panasonic markets this lens as being better optically than their regular kit lens, I haven't seen any samples proving that.

Looking at Bill's sample, it appears that the 14-140 might be sharper at that focal length. But then again, typically superzooms usually are sharper in the middle ranges.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    A test at 35mm doesn't really demonstrate much. The people reporting problems with the 14-42X see it mostly at 42mm.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Irregardless of this being only one focal length, I see a lot more contrast in the 14-140mm... xP Just sayin'.

9. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    That's right about the middle range being sharper. I picked that length becasue I knew the 14-140 to be very sharp at that point and I wanted something with high quaity for the comparison. Clearly, the 14-140 has a bit more resolution and contrast; but the X 14-42 comes off okay.

I had seen a lot of samples at 14mm and I wanted to move into the longer end. I'm really looking forward to a dpreview test.

By the way, the comparison was post-firmware upgrade.