is the Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm pretty much the best native lens you can get on MFT?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by edubz, Sep 9, 2015.

1. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    I have money to spend and want a great new lens. Look around and researching I cant seem to find a better lens. on paper.

But I love the look of my canon fd 50mm lens on my gh2. it has a look that makes most people go WOW. its an old lens from the 70s and it cost me like $80 but it beats out the 50mm on any canon line up I have tested with other video editors
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    'Best' is a loaded word.

If you have a poke around the Native Lens Sample Image forums you'll see lots of samples from a variety of lenses - you'll get a feel for rendering, focal length and framing.

If you can, you might want to see if you can try some sample lenses in that focal length out - see how they shoot for your needs - as well as the Voigtlander, there are a couple of Olympus 17mm's (an older, slow f2.8 and a newer f1.8) and a Panasonic 15mm.

Size, speed, AF, rendering will all be considerations for you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, agree that "best" is really a difficult question. I'd rather have my 20mm/1.7 than the Voigtlander. One can fit in my pocket, has AF, and is sharp wide-open corner to corner...and it isn't the Voigtlander.

Entirely depends on what you want.
  4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I'm not sure I understand the Canon 50 comparison, but I'll assume you mean that you're considering the Voigtlander because there's no such thing as an ultra-fast legacy 17-18mm. Anyway, the CV 17.5 and Nocticron 42.5 are by far my favorite MFT primes. I'm not sure what else to say except that you should look in the CV 17.5 images thread and then see if you can resist buying it.
  5. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    Well its true it will fit in your pocket but the Voigtlander is wider, and is better in low light.

I guess Im looking to make my video look as cinameric as possible.

I did have a chance to rent the Voigtlander. I really like it and I want to get it....I am just wondering if there is anything else out there, that might be better.

.. I for some reason, like the look of my canon FD 50mm on the gh2. I dont know if its cinematic lens, its old, and from the 1970s but everyone says that lens makes them look like they are in a movie. Someone told me once that they dont make lens like they use to. But then I have a canon FD 28mm 2.8 and it doesnt look that good, its not as wide as I would like.

Ill check them out! I was looking at the slr magic 17 mm also...its half the price and its hard to tell the difference in this test

but yeah, I dont know maybe the older lens have a certain look. even the Voigtlander looked flat in some scenes. It did have its moments, and in low light, I really dont think anything can beat it.

but it didnt have the....creamy look like my FD 50 mm did..and everyone else agreed, although it is an amazing lens, its built like a tank, which isnt a bad thing, even though some people might pfff at its weight (and price), I wanted to check out if there is anything out there wide, and gives a movie look.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Olympus ZD 150mm f/2.0...........enough said
  7. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Yeah, I agree. There is a Canon FD 17mm f4. Could you use that in good light and keep a faster lens for low light?

edit: To clarify, I agree that the colors and look of the Voigtlander probably won't easily match with the Canon 50's colors and look, not that the Voigtlander isn't as good.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  8. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    the 17mm have a problem. I guess if your shooting music videos this sound wouldnt matter, but I want to be quiet to. sound can also be a factor

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Best resolution native primes should be:
    Oly 75
    Nokton 25
    Pana 42.5/1.2
    Sigma 60/2.8

In no specific order IMO.

And some cine lenses I suppose (Zeiss compact, etc.)
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    For a wide angle with the cinematic look, you could also see if you like the Panaleica 15mm/1.7. It will be contrastier than your Canon, though.

"Cinematic" is usually shorthand for slightly soft, muted contrast, film-like colours, and shallow depth of field.
  11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    In response to the OP's question.

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    For a wide-standard lens that is not too wide, the Panasonic 15mm should definitely be on your shortlist.