1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

is the Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm a cinamatic lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by edubz, Sep 9, 2015.

1. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    I want to get this lens because its good low light, but is it a cinamatic lens?

2. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    Mattimus
    Define "cinematic" please.

3. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    one that doesnt look home videoish. For example my 14-42 lens from panasonic that came with my gh2, its nice, but it looks to....digital.

my canon FD 50mm, on the other hand, makes everyone look like they are in a movie.

I even ask them, people who dont know about video. which clip looks more like your in a movie, they always pic they canon fd 50 mm

cin·e·mat·ic = having qualities characteristic of motion pictures.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would say yes.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Many good documentaries and indie films have been shot with Voigtlander lenses. They have been the standard for quite a while although there are more choices now.

Try changing your video settings to MOV FHD 1080p, 24fps and see if that is more pleasing to you. The other difference is that home videos are often shot by people who are walking around as they record and motion pictures are shot from a tripod, slider, etc.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That really has very little to do with the lens itself, unless you are referring to shallow depth-of-field. Otherwise the "cinematic" quality of your videos really comes down to your grading and editing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Rum Maximus

Rum Maximus Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2013
    LV, NV
    Mattimus
    Ah, gotcha. So you're looking for an older film look instead of the crisp digital look that is so common in today's movies.

I've never used the Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm that you're asking about, but most (if not all) of the older manual focus lenses are going to give you that classic film look moreso than the modern digital lenses will. Just my humble .02 worth.

8. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    no, my canon fd 50mm lens from the 1970s looks cinematic right on the camera no color grading needed...

it looks better then my nokton 17.5 mm...but its not wide enough

but for close up shots, I cant see myself buying abother lens for closeups. I love the way my old lens looks.

most people thought I was crazy buying a lens from the 1970s, but this lens on my gh2 has CRUSHED the new 50 mm lenes on canon top of the line cameras.

we did a low light test, and my set up won against a 7d.

9. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I think most people here that are responding don't know much about video or the look you are talking about although they have been helpful.

The Noktons are the best lenses for MFT for video bc of the MF and providing that special look - more like film vs digital. You can achieve even more filmic look with vintage lenses.

I had a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 which was magic. I now use my Nocticron and 25mm Pany 1.4, not as filmic/majestic, but good enough for what I do and AF helps a ton with little childrens.

Post production helps alot to add to that film look with filters (magic bullet), frame rate (24p) etc.