Is the ThinkTank Retrospective 7 Too Big for Daily Bag?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by aukirk, Aug 11, 2013.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    For over a year I would either carry all of my Micro43 gear in one small bag (Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home) or on a shoulder strap with extra lenses in my pockets. That's because I typically only carried the OM-D E-M5 plus the 14m, 25m and 45m, with sometimes the 75m in the mix.

Since getting the Pany 35-100 (which I love), my life has gotten a lot more complex.

First, I started using my old Crumpler 4 Million Dollar home that I had from my Nikon D90 days. While that bag could fit the Pany 35-100, plus all the rest, it required me to reverse the lens hood before putting it away. This was not a problem when storing it, but when out shooting with a bag and wrist strap (as opposed to shoulder strap), this was a real pain when I wanted to put the camera and lens away between shots.

Recently bought the Retrospective 7, which is plenty deep enough to keep the hood on the 35-100. I can also take all the above equipment plus the Pany 100-300 if needed.

However, now I feel like I am carrying way too much and the Retro 7 feels huge when out and about for the day.

As much as I love the 35-100 (especially for events with my kids where I was constantly swapping lenses before), I feel like my overall kit is getting too big.

Do those of you with a Retro 7 use it as your day-to-day carry bag while out shooting, or is it more of a storage bag that is only used when you need a lot of equipment or to store the lenses you are not going to carry when out on a shoot?

Probably giving this way too much thought, but interested in how much others carry and if they think the 7 is a bit big for such a small camera.

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I had the Retro 7 for a day or so, and felt it too big for my use, and most likely would end up stuffing more sutffs inside thus increasing the overall weight. I think the Retro 5 will be more fitting for what you listed. I can put in a GH3 mounted with 12-35, and 7-14 + 35-100 inside the Retro 5.

OTOH, you can include an iPad into the Retro 7.

Here's a review I made a while back...
    Think Tank Retrospective 5 Bag Review - dave martinez photography

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've got the 5.

4. Adstars

Adstars Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    I have both the retro 7 and the 5. I find myself using the 5 more as my daily photog bag. I use the 7 when flying as I can put all my m43 gear in and mac air then take on as hand luggage, and put the empty retro 5 in my main suitcase. I swap bits in and out from 7 to 5 as I need.

5. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Yeah, I think I may order the 5 again for day-to-day use, as I really do like the "set up" and pockets available on the Retrospective more than the Crumpler. However, carrying the 7 seems unnecessarily big.

Can the Retro 5 hold the OM-D face-down with the 35-100+lens hood mounted? That is the main problem with the Crumpler, as the camera has to be placed on its side or the hood needs to be removed.

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    My GH3 mounted with 35-100 fits face-down, so I presume the EM5 will also do.

7. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Owning both the TT 5 and the 7...

I do exactly the same thing. I use the 5 as a standard walk around bag and Use the 7 as my carry on bag when flying. The 7 allows me to carry my Ipad along with my camera gear. I actually take a smaller Ona Bowery along on some trips so I have a smaller bag for daily use to carry just my camera a and a couple of lenses and accessories.

I'll be seeing my therapist later this afternoon to discuss this bag issue I am working through. My problem is kind of like in the movie "Up" when someone says the word "squirrel" and the dogs go a little crazy...I have a similar response when I see the word "bag" in a subject line here in the forum.:dash2:

Dan

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Dave
    LOL, so what bag/s are you into these days? :biggrin:

9. Highgrovemanor

Highgrovemanor Mu-43 Regular

Sep 12, 2011
    I have a 7, but also think its too big as a day-bag. I bought it thinking the tablet slot was a nice to have, but never take a tablet when shooting. So its more of a part-time transport bag for me.

My 35-100 arrives wed, so I'll start to re-evaluate my bag situation then. :)

10. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I just got the Retro 5 and it is SUBSTANTIALLY smaller... it is going to be much better as a day-to-day bag.

The Pany 35-100 definitely fits in with the lens hood attached... It extends slightly above the top of the bag, but the flap definitely covers and closely easily. That would really only be done when out shooting and temporarily putting the camera in the bag, but when stowing it for longer periods I will likely reverse the hood.

The internal side pockets are actually a lot bigger on the 5, which I find odd. However, that will be good for throwing an Oly 45 or Pany 14m into.

I definitely think the Retro 5 will get most of the use, but will keep the Retro 7 for those times when I am going to be out for extended periods of time and want to have lots of options...

11. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    I have both the 5 and 7. I started with the 7 when I had a FF camera (D600). Then used it with my NEX cameras. Got a RX1 shortly after and the 7 was too huge, so bought a 5. Now that I'm in the m4/3 camp I'm trying to decide which to keep. It actually MIT be neither because my wife surprised me with a Gariz leather satchel which I'm greatly anticipating.