1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the sensor gone?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tardegardo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Hi guys,
    check out this image (very much cropped)

do you see those three dots, two white and one red?
    Well, they appear on every shot of my e-p3?
    is it gone?
    is it the sensor?
    they appear at any condition, fast, slow, high or low iso, good light, dark room… anywhere.

2. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Dead pixels, do a pixel remapping (look in the manual how) and they will be gone.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    i cannot find it!

4. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    found it

5. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    yeah! great! that worked!
    thanks a lot

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I had them for one afternoon, then they disappeared. I finally decided it was dust on the sensor, but who knows . . . they disappeared. Have you tried turning the camera off and on again, to see if the shaker removes them?

7. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    No, I made them go doing exactly as henk said!

8. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    You're welcome! Have fun, enjoy your camera.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually they're called "stuck" pixels as they are always on...dead pixels would be black, always off.

10. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    I have the same on my Lumix G3, but I only see white dots in the RAW files, not in JPEG OOC.

What does a pixel remapping do? Does it activate spare pixels on the sensor?

11. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    My E-P3 arrived yesterday, and I've noticed this too. I read this on the manual...

... and it helped. Definitely seeing a lot less of these.

Want to try the remapping. Wasn't aware of that yet.

12. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It maps out the defective pixels so they aren't used for the image. Instead the camera uses data from the surrounding pixels to fill in the missing information.

The sensor is an analog device, so it can never be 100% perfect. Offering pixel mapping in the menus allows the end user to do it themself, rather than having to return the camera to the factory to do the exact same thing.

13. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    From what I understand pixel mapping is sort of electronic photoshopping of the stuck pixel. It basically takes the stuck ones out and uses the ones around it to figure out what it would look like in the photo taken and simply dubs in the colors. Anyway, I read about it briefly on Olympus's site. It does bother me that expensive electronics that is well cared for has these issues. I've read everywhere that it is normal and at least Olympus allows you to fix them in the field while other manufacturers require you to ship it in for service.

14. danieru

danieru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Netherlands
    Daniel
    Thanks for the info, that explains why I don't see it in the ooc jpeg files and only in RAW, it doesn't happen all the time, I think, so it could be the sensor is running hot, I'll test whether this is the case.

15. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    I ran pixel mapping last night after reading this thread and that did the job. No more dots.

Thanks for the information. Very useful.

16. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I had them a few weeks ago, began panicking but was promptly calmed down by friend who said to do the pixel mapping. Apparently, it's recommended to do it every few months.

But i'm also worried that we basically have the camera "imagine" what's there instead of actually capturing it. It's just a pixel but still.

17. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    One pixel out of 16,000,000, or 0.0000000625% of the total image. It's a ridiculously small piece of data to be worried about. The alternative is to have an out of place speck of light in the image! It's either fix it in the camera, or manually have to fix it afterwards in Photoshop! At least with Olympus we can fix the issue ourselves!

I once met someone in a forum who got a new camera and had a stuck pixel...everyone including myself told them to run pixel mapping, but the person absolutely refused because they demanded a perfect camera; explaining that sensors aren't perfect devices (analog) and require pixel mapping to mask out mistakes right when the camera is manufactured and periodically thereafter, and that's all would be done to the camera if they returned it didn't help. Never heard back from them after that.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Odd. DxO (my raw processor of choice) takes care of any hot pixels automatically. Haven't bothered to check if Lightroom does, to be honest.

19. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Adobe Camera Raw (part of LR and also Photoshop) automagically takes them out as well. Pixel mapping and software processing are great. I haven't even thought about stuck pixels for several years now.