1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the price of the Panasonic Leica DG SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4 finally coming down or

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jumbotron, May 20, 2014.

1. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    is not the "it" lens anymore? I check the deals sections on this site almost daily looking for those deals that I can't refuse but found out after the fact that 25mm 1.4 was as low as $399 to $419 Cdn at two retailers / online stores (Futureshop, Bestbuy and London Drugs) - but the deal flew under the radar here @ Mu43. Is it a lens that people already have now and don't care about it anymore - or was the $200 discount not a big deal. Do you think these were one off discounts or maybe sign of the price of that lens coming down?

I snapped up the Zuiko 17mm 1.8 when I saw it for $379 but the new price point for that lens seems to have stabilized to $400 from $499. If any of you Vancouver mirror less folks see a deal on the 25mm - please PM me!

Jim

2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Perhaps those who care about price have already turned their attention to the smaller, lighter, $350-$399 Olympus 25mm.

3. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good point. I haven't been following the Olympus 25mm - maybe I should be. I've been eyeing the Panny for such a longtime though, but yeah it's a fairly chunky lens.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The size has kept me from pulling the trigger on the PL25 for a long time...but hot diggety, $399 is a very good deal on it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    This lens is currently sitting at $628 at both B&H and Adorama while $599 at Amazon. I think these are as close to "official" prices as you'll see for any product. If you're finding prices significantly different than these retails, I would say its a sale specific to that store (probably to clear excess stock), or perhaps a gray-market import from Japan, and not indicative of Panasonic's official pricing. If Panasonic drops their pricing, the big 3 will show it.

I paid about $520 used for my 25/1.4, and I thought that was a fine price to pay for it, at $400 it I think it would be a no brainer to pick up, being 2/3rds stop faster than the 25/1.8 and not *that* much larger (the 25/1.4 is only 200g after all). But lenses the size of the 25/1.4 and smaller all feel about the same to me (eg, small and light enough to throw in my messenger bag which I always take when I have camera gear, and on the camera the size diff between the 20/1.7 and 25/1.4 for instance is of no consequence, on my EM5/EM1 at least).

6. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    This lens was $499 at B&H back in Feb. 2013. Wish I had bought one then!

7. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just picked up the 25mm 1.8 for $299 - so I guess I'll stop eyeing the Panny for now. The build quality of the Zuiko isn't great, but it is fast - the one thing I don't like is that it looks like my 45mm. Thanks for the input everyone - it was really helpful and in 24 hours after my post - I ended up with a lens that I wasn't even eyeing :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Say whaaaat? Why don't you like the build quality? And what's wrong with the 45's looks?

9. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    There's nothing wrong with the looks of the 45mm - it's a great lens! But it looks just like the 25 and feels about the same size. So reaching into the bag to swap lenses - both will feel about the same. I'm not an expert by any means but the 25 feels a bit light and not all that solid - secondary to how well it performs.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If anything I think the 45 feels cheaper than the 25 (it's marginally lighter, but I think it's the slimmer body that makes it feel cheaper to me). Having said that, I have no issues what-so-ever with the build quality of the 45 or the 25. The "plastic" build doesn't bother me one bit, and the optical performance for the price is simply astounding.

I don't use them that much outdoors (I have the 12-35 and 14-140 II that I use more), however I do use them indoors and the performance is simply sublime.