1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is the price of the Panasonic Leica DG SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4 finally coming down or

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jumbotron, May 20, 2014.

1. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    is not the "it" lens anymore? I check the deals sections on this site almost daily looking for those deals that I can't refuse but found out after the fact that 25mm 1.4 was as low as $399 to $419 Cdn at two retailers / online stores (Futureshop, Bestbuy and London Drugs) - but the deal flew under the radar here @ Mu43. Is it a lens that people already have now and don't care about it anymore - or was the $200 discount not a big deal. Do you think these were one off discounts or maybe sign of the price of that lens coming down?

I snapped up the Zuiko 17mm 1.8 when I saw it for $379 but the new price point for that lens seems to have stabilized to $400 from $499. If any of you Vancouver mirror less folks see a deal on the 25mm - please PM me!

Jim

2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Perhaps those who care about price have already turned their attention to the smaller, lighter, $350-$399 Olympus 25mm.

3. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Good point. I haven't been following the Olympus 25mm - maybe I should be. I've been eyeing the Panny for such a longtime though, but yeah it's a fairly chunky lens.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The size has kept me from pulling the trigger on the PL25 for a long time...but hot diggety, $399 is a very good deal on it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    This lens is currently sitting at $628 at both B&H and Adorama while $599 at Amazon. I think these are as close to "official" prices as you'll see for any product. If you're finding prices significantly different than these retails, I would say its a sale specific to that store (probably to clear excess stock), or perhaps a gray-market import from Japan, and not indicative of Panasonic's official pricing. If Panasonic drops their pricing, the big 3 will show it.

I paid about $520 used for my 25/1.4, and I thought that was a fine price to pay for it, at $400 it I think it would be a no brainer to pick up, being 2/3rds stop faster than the 25/1.8 and not *that* much larger (the 25/1.4 is only 200g after all). But lenses the size of the 25/1.4 and smaller all feel about the same to me (eg, small and light enough to throw in my messenger bag which I always take when I have camera gear, and on the camera the size diff between the 20/1.7 and 25/1.4 for instance is of no consequence, on my EM5/EM1 at least).

6. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    This lens was $499 at B&H back in Feb. 2013. Wish I had bought one then!

7. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just picked up the 25mm 1.8 for $299 - so I guess I'll stop eyeing the Panny for now. The build quality of the Zuiko isn't great, but it is fast - the one thing I don't like is that it looks like my 45mm. Thanks for the input everyone - it was really helpful and in 24 hours after my post - I ended up with a lens that I wasn't even eyeing :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Say whaaaat? Why don't you like the build quality? And what's wrong with the 45's looks?

9. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    There's nothing wrong with the looks of the 45mm - it's a great lens! But it looks just like the 25 and feels about the same size. So reaching into the bag to swap lenses - both will feel about the same. I'm not an expert by any means but the 25 feels a bit light and not all that solid - secondary to how well it performs.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If anything I think the 45 feels cheaper than the 25 (it's marginally lighter, but I think it's the slimmer body that makes it feel cheaper to me). Having said that, I have no issues what-so-ever with the build quality of the 45 or the 25. The "plastic" build doesn't bother me one bit, and the optical performance for the price is simply astounding.

I don't use them that much outdoors (I have the 12-35 and 14-140 II that I use more), however I do use them indoors and the performance is simply sublime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.