is the Pentax K3 the APS-C E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klee, Oct 7, 2013.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    as the title states.
    the design is retro like the OMD line up.

but the PDAF which focus in -3EV, IBIS, pentaprism, and ultrasonic adjustable AA "filter" make it pretty unique in the market.

Reminds me of the EM1.

Attached Files:

2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    $200 cheaper than EM-1 and it looks like a fantastic camera. Pentax certainly prices their cameras better. But like m.43, Pentax has catching up to do with things like AF (continuous tracking) and both the EM-1 and K3 seem to have taken strides forward.

I found the OM-D to be more consistent with exposure and WB compared to the K5 series (although both are apparently improved in K3) but the K5 images were cleaner and less noisy and I suspect the K3 will move further ahead in that regard. The K5 series (and I imagine K3) feel more robust than the EM-5 and are not much bigger than the EM-1 (from what I've read, I imagine the EM-1 would have a similar build to the K5 series).

All in all, the K3 looks very nice.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Looks nice.

I have to admit to being a bit of an Oly fan-boy but I really appreciate Pentax (first SLR was a K1000!) and would like to see them succeed as a brand. Hopefully they're in safe hands with Ricoh.
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Loved the K5 I used to have, but it did have issues with front/back focusing with some lenses. IQ was awesome on it. UI was awesome as well.
  5. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    I have to admit the sivler K3 looks nicer than the EM-5 to me. But it's a beast, weighing almost 1kg.

Pentax have stuck to the Sony sensor (same one used on the A77 apparently), so it's going to be interesting comparing the D7100 (toshiba) vs K-3 (sony).
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm also a long time Pentax user. I think there is a lot of overlap between Pentax and Olympus users and I've seen confirmation of that on this forum. The K3 looks so nice because I'm used to Pentax designs and its quirks. There is much speculation that the larger prism is indicative of the K3 also being a "prototype" for the FF Pentax body.
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I'd think it's the other way 'round, the EM-5 is a M43 version of the K-5 LOL.

Interesting that the K-3 is about the same size as the GH3 and not much bigger than the EM-5. Sure the mirror adds space, but the grip takes up even more depth. I'd imagine that they'd all fit into the same camera bag, particularly with a trio of primes.
  8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That bag may be about the same size, John, but more brick-like in weight! =D

This does look cool and I love Pentax, but pretty comfortable not having a mirror (I know I may be a minority here, with many people preferring an OVF). When are we going to see a K-02 w/ viewfinder, updated GXR, or maybe a new Pentax/Ricoh CSC?
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, they both are rather ugly :wink:

Looks like an excellent camera. If only Pentax had some versatile high-quality lenses to go with it. Their primes are nice enough, but things are pretty limited when it comes to good zooms.
  10. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Their 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 are good enough, I own a K7 and owned the 16-50 before getting into u4/3, the 16-50 was my all around lens, the draw back was the weight, that's why I got into the u4/3 :)
  11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The weight makes the camera more suitable as a defense weapon when doing street in sketchy neighborhood.

I'd rate the 50-135 F2.8 as more than good enough; it's got the best IQ of any zoom I've owned.

The 16-50 F2.8 is a step below. I'd rate it a hair behind the Panny 12-35 F2.8 for sharpness, but the 16-50 F2.8 does render colors quite nicely. I've taken some of my best photos with it.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
  13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Great point!
  14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I had a K-5 and liked the user interface and feel of the camera. The Limited primes are great.
    But there were so many missed focus shots that I couldn't keep it. Besides the occasional front- and back-focus issues (which could largely be adjusted out), the central focusing area/sensor is so large that whenever a closer subject was included in this circle, the camera focused on it, rather than the subject of interest, behind.
    And it is too heavy.
    Otherwise, I loved it.
  15. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Doesn't really matter does it? That the D400 is late. Pentax has no traction in big box stores and that's where majority of people start off when they go buy a camera.

The D400 would be much more niche than the D7100. I think Nikon simply sees that the D7100 fills their market quite well so they don't feel a need to update the D400 just yet.

The features that Pentax puts in are great for those of us who actually knows cameras. For your average person looking for a better camera though they totally don't understand those features. So even though the Pentax is completely viable for your joe new DSLR buyer who'll only buy 1 kit lens or super zoom they will not see value in the extra features.
  16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think it does. People who are the target market for a DX camera that's more rugged and better-featured than a D7100 are a pretty sophisticated target niche. The probably know what primes that they want, and they are much more likely to buy at a place like B&H or some other serious photography gear store, than a big box store. Thom Hogan pointed out that what makes Nikon vulnerable in that space is not JUST the fact that there hasn't been a D300 update in 5 years, but rather, that Nikon has neglected it's lineup of DX format prime lenses for years, and that the Pentax lens lineup is actually much more compelling than Nikons.

And really, this niche is an important one, because it's the target segment of sophisticated shooters who do sports, and wildlife etc, and who recognize that they get a multiplier effect relative to full frame, when using big fast telephotos. These are serious amateurs, semi-pros, and even pros who don't feel the need to go full frame, who even see the lens advantages of a smaller format, but who are not yet convinced that the follow-focus capabilities of mirrorless is up to snuff for serious, even pro-level action shooting.
  17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    So Nikon actually HAS a lineup of DX primes? Someone should've told Canon that...
  18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    None are wide angles, though. The widest good DX prime they've got is 35mm. Their 28mm, 24mm and 20mm lenses are full frame, and pretty lousy older designs that don't outperform the Nikon kit zooms on the DX frame.
  19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I'm also a former Pentax user with K-5 and K-30 and find Pentax a very good camera so if the K-3 comes up to promises and I'll ever need an APS-C body, I think Pentax will be the one.