Is the Panasonic Lumix G 14-45 lens really a good lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ramirez, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I just got a Panasonic Lumix G 14-45 f3.5-5.6 lens for 99€ second hand (in great condition).
    I read somewhere on the Internet (in different places) that this lens was quite good / amongst the best of kit lenses. It came with the Panasonic Lumix G1 I believe.
    It has got a metal mount. Feels quite good.

Do any of you know if it's true that this lens is great? I of course have to test it out personally, and I will. But I'm just wondering if any of you have any experience with this lens?
    Why did Panasonic stop to make it?

Attached Files:

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    It's an excellent lens IMHO, particularly by the standards of kit lenses. It's not just the sharpness - it's the colour/contrast/'pop' that puts it ahead of most other kit lenses. As far as I know Panasonic are still making it. I suspect it doesn't show up in kits now because it's bigger than more recent lenses and perhaps more expensive to make.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    That sounds great, especially when I got it for 99€ :smile:

4. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I think it's pretty good, I've been happy with it. Sharp enough and produces likeable results.

It's quite durable, but the zoom rubber band can loosen over time (that can be remidied). That's about it.

Sizewise, it's basically the same as the other 14-42 P lenses (except the II model).

5. emmef2

emmef2 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Italia
    I've got one in almost mint condition last week and I have carefully compared it against the Olympus 14-42 II R kit lens and found that at 100% enlargement it is increasingly sharper from the center to the corners at any focal lenght and aperture from f/3.5 to f/8, I knew it was good but I didnt expect such a difference!
    The only focal length where it is difficult to tell the two apart is around 18mm where the Olympus is very good too

I see you have the fuji X-E1 with the 18-55, it would be really interesting to understand how it compares with

6. emmef2

emmef2 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Italia
    I've got one in almost mint condition last week and I have carefully compared it against the Olympus 14-42 II R kit lens and found that at 100% enlargement it is increasingly sharper from the center to the corners at any focal lenght and aperture from f/3.5 to f/8, I knew it was good but I didnt expect such a difference!
    The only focal length where it is difficult to tell the two apart is around 18mm where the Olympus is very good too

I see you have the fuji X-E1 with the 18-55, it would be really interesting to understand how it compares with

7. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    I've used mine with great pleasure on my GF1 and GX1 on a couple of travels with a fair amount of walking in Rome, Siena, Amsterdam, Brussels and London. It's fast enough in AF and its image stabilization was good enough to obviate any need for me to use my 20mm f/1.7 in church and museum interiors. I'm probably moving this summer to a GX7 or an Oly E-M1, but the 14-45 will remain in residence mounted as my default glass.