1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is the Pana-Leica 25 1.4 the closest...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xdayv, Dec 20, 2011.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    thing to a real Leica lens?

(Convince Santa to send me one this Christmas, will ya? :biggrin:)

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The 45/2.8 macro is just as close. They both have a similar look and the look is Leica-ish to my eye. They also say Leica on the front and have a red dot. Can't get closer than that ;)

They're both on my long term acquisition list, but alas no help from Santa for me this year.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Hmmm ... not quite sure what closest to a "real" Leica means. Like Fred says, they both say Leica on them. Although I don't see any red "Leica" dot on my PL25/1.4. :)

The 25/1.4 is an excellent lens, even if it's not a "real" Leica. We should be thankful that it's not a real Leica. Otherwise, it would cost about $3500, instead of $550!

If you are in the market for a 50mm EFL lens for your m4/3, this is it. The only other alternative is the Voigtlander 25/.95. Sweet lens, but manual focus only, bigger, and more expensive.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    20mm vs 25mm same image comparison?

I have read many favorable comments about the Pany 25mm and how the images have a "Leica Look".

I currently own the 20mm and would really appreciate a side by comparison of the 20mm vs the 25mm of the same image. That way I might be able to see the "Leica Look" vs something I know.

The 20mm and 25mm are both very similar. I appreciate that the 25mm focuses faster, but it's also a "much" larger lens.

I would need to see a side by side before I sell my beloved 20mm :wink:

Thanks for the assistance. :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

...but that orange 25 sure does look cool ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It doesn't look like this?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Not sure how close it is to the Leica look, but it's the closest lens to the look I like from my years of shooting.

Here's an online comparison between the 20mm pancake and the PL25 if you're interested.

But having had both, the difference in hand is astounding. Don't regret the extra money spent on it in the slightest. Just sold my 20/1.7 off yesterday as there is no doubt that it has served it's time with me and is destined to whet someone else's appetite for the PL25 :wink: Surprisingly, I'm not out of pocket much between the sale of the 20/1.7 (just under $400) and the cost of the PL25 ($550). At this price it is a steal and certainly worth the 30% or so premium.

I still contend that this lens is destined to be a classic down the track. Much like the Pentax FA31 many years ago....and an old Made in Japan model sells more now than when it was new...and more than the current FA31 Assembled in Vietnam version.

Hmmm...maybe I should buy me a few PL25s for investment purposes. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Hahaha. Ok. I do have that red dot and the orange 25. :) Or is that yellow? :D

But I was actually thinking of the red dot with the word Leica in it. I guess I forgot that they don't put those on the lens itself! Just on the bodies. Unless of course it's a MP with no dots. Or the black dot.

I stand humbly corrected about the other red dot! :doh:

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for the link with the comparisons Mark. I haven't taken any side by side between the 20 and 25 yet. I still use the 20 more than the 25 simply because of the size. Makes my GF2 much more pocketable. Sorta.

I think the PL25 will probably hover around the $500-600 USD for a while ($539 currently at BH). Although I think it may have briefly dipped lower under Pany's EPP program. The original PL25 for 4/3 format hasn't dropped in price very much since its release. I'd love to see a head to head comparison of the 4/3 version vs. the m4/3 version.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I just posted this photo on another thread, but this one was from the EP3 + 20/1.7. I took a series of photo inside this ice cream parlor down in Galveston (an hour from Houston), and I labeled the photos "Leica-like" because of the "look" of the photos in that particular lighting condition (after PP in LR3.5). There were lots of glass and reflections there. If I didn't know any better, IMO, I could have confused this photo one from a M9 with an old 35 Cron.

026_-_Leica_like_7.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    At the Getty

I posted several images in the Scenic Photos forum shot using my E-PL2 with a 20mm. I am very pleased with the look and performance of the 20mm during my day inside at the Getty Museum.

I can see from the reviews, that the 25mm has a slightly better Bohek, but comparable IQ to the $200, less expensive 20mm, or at least not enough to make me switch. :wink:

I wish I could see a comparison of the two lens that show that "Leica Look".

• Like Like x 2