1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the Olympus update server down?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jonr, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jonr

jonr New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2016
    I'm trying to update my fathers E-M5. I've tried two computers, in two places (work and home) Turned off firewalls and virus scanners, but I always get the "Could not communicate with the server". Olympus hasn't been very helpful, only give boilerplate answers.

Could somebody verify this for me?

2. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    Welcome to the forums!

Are you trying the Olympus updater software? I haven't had much luck with it. I ended up using the update feature in the Olympus Viewer 3 which seems to work well. Just tested and it seems to be able to connect and see firmware updates for my E-M10.

[Edit] Here is a screenshot
    upload_2016-10-7_8-12-50.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    As SVQuant suggests,
    i can only update my E-M10 and E-M1 by using the update feature in OV3. The standalone updater software hasn't worked for me for over a year.

4. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    It's a bit of a song & dance...the Olympus Digital Camera Updater is now on v1.2.1 although if you have an earlier version it doesn't prompt you to download the latest version(?!).

I updated my E-M5 MKII this week but got the same message as you until I performed the update to the updater!

Here's the link to v1.2.1, hope it works out for you. :)

Software Download | OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater | Olympus Corporation

5. jonr

jonr New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2016
    Ok, it seems that the updater isn't working for whatever reasons. But the viewer 3 does.