1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is the Olympus MF-2 worth it when . . .

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jorge Ledesma, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Compared to other 3 rd party adapters? Am I gaining a reduction in width or it's about the same as other adapters? Yup basically wondering what if anything I gain from using it. Thanks folks

JL

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You gain the security of knowing you have a genuine Olympus product. Who can put a price on that? ;)

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Precision made versus third party knock offs, depends on what you want/need. Also, the cheapest, lowest quality of the three made by panny and oly, not saying it isn't any good, just the least quality of the three mentioned.

4. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I take it that you mean the Olympus 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. It's $167 at bhphoto.com, but the Panasonic DMW-MA1 has the exact same functionality for $114. I have that one as I didn't need to spend $53 more.

I have read about a third party Chinese knock off selling for around $60-80. I'd worry about the quality of construction, in particular the pads and pins used for the electrical pass thru. They're gold plated on the Panasonic and Olympus adapters. Cutting corners there, as some knock offs might do, will lead to eventual contact problems.

5. Also worth knowing that a weatherproof 4/3 to m4/3 adapter is about to come out with the OM-D. Worth waiting perhaps to see what that costs...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Apologies, thanks for the current replies, all this m's here, I mean this adapter:
    MF-2 OM Adapter (OM to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter)

7. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Apologies, thanks for the current replies, all this m's here, I mean this adapter:
    MF-2 OM Adapter (OM to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter)

8. The MF-2 has proper spring-loaded bayonet mount, just like you'd find on an Olympus OM camera. Most cheaper adapters use split bayonet tabs with one half bent out slightly to simulate the spring effect, which can often lead to the lens not fitting very snugly although this is very easily fixed. See this thread for an example of what I mean. The MF-2 should also be manufactured to a tight enough tolerance that the focal flange distance is correct and the infinity setting on the lens IS actually infinity. Most cheaper adapters are designed to be slightly too short to ensure infinity focus can be achieved, but it does mean that the lens can actually focus "beyond infinity".

• Like Like x 1
  9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I had an aftermarket version. With a OM 50mm 1.8 attached, it did wiggle a bit more than I would have liked. If I bought one again, I'd buy the Olympus version, but I'd hit the 'bay or look for a used one somewhere first. Piece of mind is worth a few bucks I guess...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jorge Ledesma

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks guys, my current OM adapter fits nice and tight but I thought that perhaps the Oly original would be smaller. My thing with legacy lenses is always to have the smaller setup as possible but I must say I do love my Oly OM lenses, very sharp especially the much underrated 28mm f3.5.

11. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

I used OM gear from 1976 to 1983 when I changed to Nikon.

The OM Zuiko 28mm f/3.5 was not underrated in its early days. It was widely appreciated as a better performer than the f/2.8. I recall the f/2 was also a good performer, but the f/3.5 version was the best of the three.

12. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

Om lens china afapter om to 4/3 is cool but to the body? There is only mmf2 or 1 if you lucky to found it

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    They can't make the adapter any thinner as the register distance must remain the same. They can't really make it any narrower either, as the inside diameter remains the same as well.

I have a Fotodiox adapter which uses the split bayonet like Nic describes, and it was indeed loose until I opened it with a jeweler's screwdriver like in the thread Nic linked, and it has been perfectly snug and tight since. My Four-Thirds mount adapter (Panasonic brand, with the real springs just like the camera itself) is the only one with play in it now. ;)

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    He made a mistake and meant to say MF-2 (OM-to-4/3) rather than MMF-2 (4/3-to-m4/3).

However, you bring up a good point... I personally prefer to adapt my OM lenses first to Four-Thirds using an OM-to-4/3 adapter like the MF-1 or Chinese version, then use the 4/3-to-m4/3 (ie, like MMF-1 or MMF-2) adapter to mount it to my PEN. This allows me the use of all the Four-Thirds lens accessories like the excellent EC-14 1.4x or EC-20 2.0x teleconverters, or the EX-25 25mm extension tube. Since Four-Thirds has the shortest register distance of all the SLR mounts, this same adapter and accessories combo can be used with any SLR lens I adapt to Four-Thirds. I only adapt directly to Micro Four-Thirds for lenses with a shorter register distance like Rangefinder, Cine, or Pen F lenses.

15. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

Yes indeed ned, that is why I always bought lens with an om mount adapter so there might be use if someday I'll back to 4/3dslr (still amaze with the stunning e3)

I only had tamron lens which the adapter is directly to my epl mount which is to big

ForumRunner_20120201_102354.

ForumRunner_20120201_102732.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Epl1-zuiko