Is the Olympus fish eye converter worth it?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gusnyc, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York

I just got the E-P3 with the new M.Zuiko 14-42 lens. I wonder if the Olympus Fish Eye Converter (FCON-P01) is worth it. I know it won't have the quality of a real fish eye, but I am not sure how good it is. Anybody with experience in the matter?

Thanks for your opinions.

2. cmk325i

cmk325i Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    Wondering the same thing bump
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Depends on what you are looking for.

F-CON pros and cons:

cheap ($127 from Adorama two weeks ago. Not sure of price now)
    Compact for an FE converter
    Attaches to the existing kit lens (no swapping lenses needed) via bayonet mount (better than screw mount)
    Reasonable image quality (given the kit lens it's attached to)
    120 degree view

Not quite as good image quality as a dedicated FE, but is fine for fun/family use.
    Not 180 degree like many fisheyes

Here's a picture I took using the kit + FCON

• Like Like x 2
  4. blurpasta

blurpasta New to Mu-43

Sep 17, 2011
    i find it acceptable and a converter that is worth buying if u have budget constraint... here's a pic that i took during the wkend...

<a href="" title="PA150267 by pasta83, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="333" alt="PA150267"></a>
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I bought and wish I hadn't. It's much bigger than I thought if would be--not much smaller than the Samyang. Also, the FCON camera mode they recommend doesn't allow manual focus. In short, it's fine, buy I'd recommend paying slightly more and getting the Samyang.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    What do you use MF on the fisheye for? I also forgot to turn on the "FCON" setting, and it still worked fine, so maybe you could just do that, and get MF.
  7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    With the huge DOF, I find it's usually easier to mf either as close as possible or to the hyperfocal length and leave it. I don't have a 3 series with it's amazing focus speed...