Is the Oly M1 better than the EM10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnN, Dec 11, 2014.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Well I have a question for those with both the Oly M1 & M10.

I have M10 which is a great camera and in theory the M1 is their top of the line - but other than weather sealing what makes it an upgrade - baring in mind I went m43 to reduce the size of the camera?

Cheers.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    5 axis vs. 3 axis IBIS and Phase detection AF on the chip. It lets you use the older 4/3 lenses and it (supposedly) improves the tracking AF. Better grip,

• Like Like x 1
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I own an E-M1 and I love it, but I went directly to the E-M1, I didn't come from any of the other OM-D cameras.

The E-M1 is a faster camera. It has a higher max shutter speed, a slightly more responsive finder and it's a little less plastic. When I tried the E-M10, I felt like it was a great camera to hold and use. A little nostalgic, for sure, but overall very intuitive and fast.

The E-M10 has a built in flash, which is very useful for fill-flash. The rest of us have tiny little add-on flashes that sit in the hot-shoe or we use a full-sized flash. Even in situations where the little pop up won't give you the power you need, it's still great for putting catch-lights in the eyes of the subject.

I played with the E-M10 yesterday at the local electronics store. It's a gorgeous little camera. The advertising doesn't really do justice to it in showing how small it really is. It's a lovely camera to hold. The E-M1 is just a little bit bigger because of the built in grip and the canted shutter button. I wouldn't say the built in grip of the E-M1 makes it "better", just different.

Enjoy it - take lots of pictures!

• Like Like x 3
  4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The E-M1 is a better camera in a bunch of ways, technical, handling, etc. But the real question is it better "for you"? I had one, I now have an E-M10, why? Didn't need or use most of the features. I went though the menus, set things up, and then kept going back to trying different setups. I realized I didn't need or use almost all the options I was playing with. So I "downgraded" and bought a lens.

dpreview side-by-side oly_em1 oly_em10

• Like Like x 3
  5. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks all - I guess I'm drawn to the AF, but not having (or intending to buy) older lenses would it actually make a difference?

Anyway great so see that theres not a definitive "yes" which is reassuring :)

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    AF tracking is suppose to be better on the E-M1 and maybe it's a little better in AF single. But for my needs I didn't notice the difference the E-M1 and E-P5 I had and shot side by side.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The E-M1's viewfinder is significantly better and a bit bigger : which is only important for those using manual-focus a lot, or with some special vision requirements.
    The stabilisation may or may not be better : still haven't seen a sensible comparative test.

Weathersealing.
    Properly nice big grip.

8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd go E-M1 if you want the best performing Olympus M43 body. E-M10 all the way if size is a priority. It's not much bigger than my E-PM2 and the E-PM2 is tiny!

9. DMLarson

DMLarson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2014
    Dan
    I started with the E-M10 then, a few months later, bought the E-M1 because I really needed weather sealing for a particular hike. I do like the E-M1 better, for all the reasons others have mentioned. However, I still really like the E-M10 and used it from time to time just because. Unless you really need a particular feature that the E-M1 has, like 5 axis ibis or weather sealing, I'd recommend you spend your money on lenses and wait for a new addition to the camera line up before buying another body.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Yes, the PDAF makes a difference in both the S-AF(to a lesser degree) and C-AF(to a more pronounced degree) with m43 lenses. The biggest benefit is for tracking, obviously.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jhnpennington

jhnpennington New to Mu-43

May 7, 2012
    I have both (about to sell my E-M10). The problem I found with the E-M10 was that it was difficult to turn the rear control dial whilst looking through the EVF, and also that I often accidentally moved the front dial leading to a change in setting. The dials on the E-M1 are a lot better placed and firmer. The E-M1 EVF is a joy.
    The reason I went to the E-M1 is that the rear LCD of my E-M10 stopped functioning on a misty day, so I thought I should go for something with better weatherproofing. I'm very happy I made the move.
    Hope this helps, John.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Interesting - about the EVF, I thought the E-M10 had the most up to date responsive one (although not as high a resolution), is the E-M1 better in real world usage?

13. jhnpennington

May 7, 2012
    The EVF on the E-M1 is huge, bigger than the OVF on most full frame DSLRs. The E-M10 EVF isn't bad, and it is responsive, but it is much smaller and less immersive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I actually found it easier to see the corners of the finder image on the E-M10 than my E-M1... I chalk that up to the finder having a much larger image and, well, wearing glasses.

15. jhnpennington

May 7, 2012
    Ah. Very interesting point. I never thought if it would be a problem for people wearing glasses.

16. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I also have my doubts on 5 axis (so called miracle worker)...after firmware upgrade to my ep5...it was still better and more consistant to use mega OIS ON MY 14-45..HAD FAR MORE KEEPERS AND SHARPER SHOTS..than 5 axis...maybe it was just me or my second e p5 was DUFF!
    After playing with nikon D7000 i tried in vain to focus fine tune three different lenses...not one could come close to sharpness of my E M10 OR FOCUS ACCURACY ..My understanding is phase detection is not as accurate..this puts me off..pissing around trying to avoid back/front focussing issues

17. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, you're comparing a system that uses the sensor itself. On a DSLR, the phase dectors are loaded onto another sensor in the mirror box. If that sensor is not aligned properly (and now with our insane megapixel cameras, it's much easier to see that misalignment) then you're going to have issues with getting pixel-perfect pin sharp focus.

On CDAF cameras, the imaging sensor is using software and contrast, so it doesn't have to compensate for anything. It does, however, require a lens with much finer AF steps so it can drive the lens more precisely.

My experiences with OIS vs IBIS have not bee the same as yours. I can edge down to lower shutter speeds more easily with my E-M1 and IBIS than I can using my E-M1, and relying on OIS from my wife's Panasonic lenses. I'm sure some of that comes down to technique.

18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Interesting about your IBIS vs your 14-45 : perhaps the range of shutterspeeds suited the OIS instead of the 5-axis?
    Definitely worth more testing.

As for your D7000 : I'm guessing you got unlucky with manufacturing tolerances, and maybe the body and lenses are at opposite ends of the scale making it hard to get them really accurate. Is there a way to return and replace the body? Maybe another example would be better : it happens a lot looking at the forums.
    Phase detect can certainly be accurate, but depends on perfectly calibrated body with lenses, and how hard is that!?

19. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Yeah..i have owned a few nikon slr's in past...and although i like the output from the nikon I only ever had one super sharp nikon...D5000 BOTTOM OF THE LINE!...All the rest focus always hit n miss...As for 5 axis v OIS dont have means of testing ..but under my crude shooting..same shutter speeds and the like ..OIS was sharper ...every time!