Is the Oly 14-150mm really this good??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by verbatimium, Sep 21, 2013.

1. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Today, ephotozine has released their review of the Oly 14-150mm lens:
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-m-zuiko-digital-ed-14-150mm-f-4-5-6-lens-review-22983

Sharpness appears to be amazing throughout the entire zoom range, from edge to edge, even at minimum aperture settings. Is this lens really a hidden gem I was not aware of? If this is true, then this totally blows the Oly 14-42mm + 40-150mm kit lens combo out of the water. Anyone has this lens that can comment on the review?

• Like Like x 1
  2. neofx19

neofx19 Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2012
    Vancouver
    I have this lens, its a wonderful piece of glass. Very convenient focal range. I brought it with me on vacation, and it's really nice to not have to switch lenses all the time. If there's one lens that can sort of do it all, its this one. Its fairly sharp throughout the zoom range. I've never had any optical issues with this lens. My only gripe is I wish it was slightly wider than 28mm, and slightly longer. But hey you can't have it all right...I for one, highly recommend this lens...

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas

Attached Files:

4. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    DP Review conclusion from 2010

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I like mine. I briefly had the original Pany 14-140. The Pany was slightly sharper at all focal lengths IMO. But it was also bulkier and heavier. So I went with the Oly instead.

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Mine performs admirably and is my goto travel lens. I do have one gripe: I somehow managed to get a bit of dust under the front element. Does not affect image quality at all but it is a bit annoying.

7. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

I'm in two minds about my 14-150. It certainly is convenient not to have to change lenses, and the image quality is decent ... at least until I look at pictures taken with the P20. And it's not a small lens, at least by M43 standards.

Decades ago, I remember going through the same thought process with my OM1/28-70 zoom. I ended up just using the 50 1.8. Maybe I'll end up joining the prime-only club!

8. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    I don't agree with this review. I also don't completely agree with the DPR review either. Mine is sharper than the 14-42 II that came with my E-PL3 at every focal length they overlap. The issue I have with mine is that CA gets more and more noticeable the longer the focal length. Past about 70mm the CA gives fuzziness to every edge. Sure, its quite straightforward to fix in post, and once you do the images still look nicely sharp.

I really doubt it is sharper than the 40-150mm though, which is renowned for being great on that front.

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Ive had a couple of these lenses and rated them very highly for versatility, light weight and compactness. I was happy with the performance.
    However the lens has usually come out a little worse in tests than this one and I would tend to agree with the more usual findings which are very good but not quite so outstanding as this test
    I would recommend the lens to anyone who s looking for a 10 x zoom with the caveat that there is of course a compromise to be made with image quality compared to zooms with less range and primes
    Regards
    Rob

10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I would disagree about your impression of the size of this lens and would say that it is one of the best examples of the M43 lens with regard to the ethos of the format. It is not much bigger than a Panasonic 14 - 45 or 14 - 42(Mk1)
    I would say that it is particularly compact and light for a 10 x zoom that goes from wide angle to 150mm telephoto (equivalent FOV of 300mm in 35mm terms)
    Regards
    Rob

11. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    This is a fine lens,especially for traveling . Here's a shot from NZ, from a moving train!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I have the 14-150, I tend to use if on my EPM-1 instead of a small sensor travel zoom type camera rather than on my OMD but having said that.

As super zooms go it compares well with my Nikon 18-200 in day to day use but it's got more CA than my 40-150 and 75-300 in the overlapping ranges and it's not as sharp as my 75-300 where it overlaps. At the other end of the range it's not as good as the primes are but it compares well with my 12-50 although I believe my 14-42 shades it a little.

I'm not keeping mine, I don't use it enough and it doesn't really do anything other lenses I've got so it's one of the lenses that I'm selling to fund my EM-1.

13. I agree with your assertion of the relative size of this lens. It is certainly far from the smallest lens in the system but as an example of a lens which is small considering what it offers, this is right up there. For example, comparing Micro 4/3 pancake lenses with Samsung NX there is no size advantage compared to the larger APS-C sensor, yet any mirrorless APS-C superzoom lens is much larger than the Olympus 14-150mm.

I had a chance to test a copy of the 14-150mm back-to-back with my Panasonic 14-140mm and I too found the same issues with CA but also a general lack of sharpness on the edges of the frame. I had to make the call between size and IQ and since my main motivator for moving to Micro 4/3 was never based purely on size I am still a happy user of the Panasonic superzoom.

Link to my comparison below:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52925

14. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Incredibly useful lens that's pretty good under 100mm, over that I often feel the images aren't reliably sharp enough, but some of that may well be IS or shutter speed issues.
    I'm still waiting for a mythical mid-price not-quite f2.8 zoom lens in ยต43 format! Eventally I'll crack and get a 35-100 when the price comes down a bit.

15. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    I too have somehow gotten a very visible white dust fleck under the front element. No effect on the image, so I try not to look at the lens from the front :happy-084:

Happy with this lens, especially paired with a fast prime on a vacation!