is the oly 12-50 considered "weather sealed" on GH3?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TucsonLawrence, Oct 25, 2013.

1. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    I have the weather sealed Olympus 12-50 with macro and a Panasonic GH3- I have an upcoming event where there will be quite a bit of water splashing around (a water balloon fight with 300+ folks) and I wanted to ensure that I could get pictures safely with my camera/lens setup. This is the only weather sealed lens that I have...

Thanks in advance for your responses,

V/r
    Lawrence

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The seal is just a gasket around the 12-50 lens mount. I can't see anything extra on my E-M5 to further seal it, so your GH3 should be just as good. Same story with Panasonic's sealed X zooms on the weather sealed Olympus bodies I suspect. Just remember to check all the seals beforehand and to wipe it clean and dry it afterwards.

3. I spoke with some Olympus reps/trainers last night and happened to ask if the weatherproof rating of the 12-50mm is any less than that of the new E-M1 and 12-40mm f2.8 lens and they told me that all of their weatherproof Micro 4/3 gear is rated to the same level, be it the 12-50mm, 12-40mm, and 60mm lenses, and both the E-M5 and E-M1 bodies. The only difference being that the E-M1 has been given an additional rating against freezing. I've never seen the weatherproofing of the GH3 demonstrated so I can't say how well it would cope, but the lens should be fine*.

* Usual caveats attached that weatherproofing does not cover submersion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.