is the oly 12-50 considered "weather sealed" on GH3?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TucsonLawrence, Oct 25, 2013.

1. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Lawrence Richards
    I have the weather sealed Olympus 12-50 with macro and a Panasonic GH3- I have an upcoming event where there will be quite a bit of water splashing around (a water balloon fight with 300+ folks) and I wanted to ensure that I could get pictures safely with my camera/lens setup. This is the only weather sealed lens that I have...

Thanks in advance for your responses,

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The seal is just a gasket around the 12-50 lens mount. I can't see anything extra on my E-M5 to further seal it, so your GH3 should be just as good. Same story with Panasonic's sealed X zooms on the weather sealed Olympus bodies I suspect. Just remember to check all the seals beforehand and to wipe it clean and dry it afterwards.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I spoke with some Olympus reps/trainers last night and happened to ask if the weatherproof rating of the 12-50mm is any less than that of the new E-M1 and 12-40mm f2.8 lens and they told me that all of their weatherproof Micro 4/3 gear is rated to the same level, be it the 12-50mm, 12-40mm, and 60mm lenses, and both the E-M5 and E-M1 bodies. The only difference being that the E-M1 has been given an additional rating against freezing. I've never seen the weatherproofing of the GH3 demonstrated so I can't say how well it would cope, but the lens should be fine*.

* Usual caveats attached that weatherproofing does not cover submersion.