Is the next OMD going to be an EM1 IV, not an EM1X II?

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
It's going to be a full frame, fixed lens compact with a 35mm f/2 lens (with optimized 1.5x and 2x crop modes), the most advanced IBIS in the business, OLED EVF, flip down LCD, Fuji style dials for SS, Aperture and EC, weather sealing, global shutter, 50mp, made from milled magnesium and real leather all with physical specs within a millimeter of the original film Olympus OM-1. It will also debut a new partnership with Kodak and Ilford for branded presets of classic films. Including Ilford Delta and Kodak Kodachrome.

It will simply be call the OM-1.

:biggrin:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It'll be promoted by Bell & Howell's Wow! Dept. along with their TacLight, TacGlasses, Pathway Lights, Humidifier, Bug Repeller, and whatever else they push on TV and infomercials.

;)

Mountain_Man_79

Enjoying Cameraderie
Real Name
Chris
It's going to be a full frame, fixed lens compact with a 35mm f/2 lens (with optimized 1.5x and 2x crop modes), the most advanced IBIS in the business, OLED EVF, flip down LCD, Fuji style dials for SS, Aperture and EC, weather sealing, global shutter, 50mp, made from milled magnesium and real leather all with physical specs within a millimeter of the original film Olympus OM-1. It will also debut a new partnership with Kodak and Ilford for branded presets of classic films. Including Ilford Delta and Kodak Kodachrome.

It will simply be call the OM-1.

:biggrin:
Sounds like Hassleblad and Fuji hooked up and had a lovechild. I’d buy it.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
It is going to be the E-M1.100M with the infamous "any year now" 100mm macro lens permanently fixed to the body.
Coming soon to a road map (only) near you!

tiago.ereira

Mu-43 Regular
If it comes with excellent AF capabilities (mainly animal eye AF tracking), similar to what Canon and Sony have for a couple of years now, then my wallet will cry.

(Yes, I am not good enough so I need amazing AF for my wildlife pictures.)

- 24MP could be great for a little more crop, but I am ok with the actual 20MP on my EM1mk2.

- Some improvement on high ISO is always welcome as well.

- Keep the joystick from the mk3. (Almost guaranteed I would say)

-Bigger grip as my mk2 does not seat perfectly on my hand it gets uncomfortable after a while. (I believe the mk3 already had some improvement on this)

I think I‘m not asking too much for a 2022 camera.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I think the bigger story is that it won‘t be out till 2022, when they originally said this year for the ‘wow’ product.
They can fulfill that by announcing it this year, but not shipping until next year. And December 31st is still "this year" too. Just look at the GH6--it's been announced, in that we know it's coming, but beyond that, pretty much nothing.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
And you guys bitch about Panny's naming conventions.

Good grief.
I think the bigger story is that it won‘t be out till 2022, when they originally said this year for the ‘wow’ product.
Microchip shortage. Sony is having problems too. A lot of things are being delayed.

Real Name
Chris
The more mainstream (I assume higher sales volume) EM1 form factor makes sense for a new release with a new sensor. I will personally be very happy if they release either new model with some WOW factor attached to it. I don't plan on buying it but it is nice to know that the brand is making some waves and trying to stay relevant.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
I hope that it is true. When I feel the need to upgrade, it would make my decision a lot easier then :). Better yet, I hope they make it into EM5 series one day in the future.

doady

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm still guessing an EM1X Mark II with same processor as the one recently introduced in E-M1 Mark III, dial processors for extra processing power to add new features and enhancements. E-M1 Mark IV won't come until there is new and more powerful processor, which might not be until years from now.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
I suspect the E-M1 Mk.IV will be announced in 2022 and the E-M1X will not have a successor. The added bulk plus hefty price put a lot of people off the E-M1X despite the improved AF analytics capabilities. The focus will be on OMD Solutions making and selling as much of single camera designs as possible. The E-M1 Mk.IV will probably be bigger than the E-M1 Mk.III to accommodate a heat sink and a more powerful processor, or dual processors from the Mk.III camera.
I expect the Mk.IV to be a helluva camera but not cheap, probably between the E-M1 Mk.III and E-M1X initial prices.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
What ever it is, it MUST have a new processor. If sensors are the heart of the cameras, CPUs are the brains. They both (cpu + sensor) need to evolve in order to give MFT a chance of surviving. Hanging on to the past is no way to compete in the current market.

New CPU would make it possible to e.g. implement way faster HHHR & state-of-the-art animal eye AF. Those two are what my E-M5III is lacking most.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
While a new E-M1 seems odd, since the Mark III only has been released in spring 2020, I wouldn't be too surprised about it either. In my opinion the E-M1 series is pretty much the bread and butter camera since the very first version, with Mark I and II very well regarded and Mark III only eyed with some critics about not having changed too much in terms of hardware. So starting a new era, as dramatic as it sounds, with a completely new E-M1 version for me sounds reasonable. Also keep in mind it was said OM Digital might revise the known Olympus naming scheme of cameras, so even if it looks and feels like an E-M1, it might be called completely different.;)

I am alsp pretty sure they might still announce it later this year, which allows them to stick to their words, while doing the release next year.

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
Also keep in mind it was said OM Digital might revise the known Olympus naming scheme of cameras, so even if it looks and feels like an E-M1, it might be called completely different.;)
An OM 1D.
I am alsp pretty sure they might still announce it later this year, which allows them to stick to their words, while doing the release next year.
I am sure OM will not let Panasonic to steal the show with the GH6. I am expecting an OMD body development announcement this Autumn (Oct-Nov), which will hit market somewhere in Feb/Mar. This body will be a highlight product for CP+ show.
I really hope that we will see a rumoured 20mm F1.4 prime. That would be fantastic.

Steveinslc

Mu-43 Regular
The comments on that 4/3 rumors site are bordering on ridiculous. Most of them are arguing about 5Ghz vs. 2.4 Ghz wifi speed. If wifi speed is really the thing we care about most on a new camera, then Olympus/OMD is indeed doomed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom