Is the next OMD going to be an EM1 IV, not an EM1X II?

Robstar1963

Mad on Motorsports
Real Name
Rob
If there is a new 26mp sensor coming on the GH6 then I will be looking forward to a new chapter in M43 equipment and that is what is needed to reinvigorate the M43 market imo
If Olympus can come up with a high end camera of their own that uses this sensor then I for one will be looking closely at what it offers and would almost certainly buy into a new generation of M43 sensor technology
Improved low light response even if only incremental would be progress but also the ability to crop more with a higher mp sensor would be very much appreciated
The 26mp on my Fuji makes an appreciable difference to the ability to crop when your lens doesn’t fill the frame

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
The comments on that 4/3 rumors site are bordering on ridiculous. Most of them are arguing about 5Ghz vs. 2.4 Ghz wifi speed. If wifi speed is really the thing we care about most on a new camera, then Olympus/OMD is indeed doomed.
Comments on rumors sites are always like that. Can't see the forest for the trees.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
If there is a new 26mp sensor coming on the GH6 then I will be looking forward to a new chapter in M43 equipment and that is what is needed to reinvigorate the M43 market imo
If Olympus can come up with a high end camera of their own that uses this sensor then I for one will be looking closely at what it offers and would almost certainly buy into a new generation of M43 sensor technology
Improved low light response even if only incremental would be progress but also the ability to crop more with a higher mp sensor would be very much appreciated
The 26mp on my Fuji makes an appreciable difference to the ability to crop when your lens doesn’t fill the frame
Panasonic is rumoring 42MP. Going to be some mighty tiny pickles. Nonetheless, while I would like a bit more resolution (maybe 24-30? Plenty.) and a touch more DR, my sticking point is the focus. Now the rumor is that the new GH6 will have a hybrid focus similar to Sony's. If they do that, convincing me to look at another brand is going to be tough.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The comments on that 4/3 rumors site are bordering on ridiculous. Most of them are arguing about 5Ghz vs. 2.4 Ghz wifi speed. If wifi speed is really the thing we care about most on a new camera, then Olympus/OMD is indeed doomed.
While I would agree that 2.4 vs 5 GHz might seem minor compare to other aspects of a camera, there is something to be said for a high tech company to be putting out devices with outdated versions of off the shelf technologies. As an example, I complained in the thread about the release of the PEN E-PL10 and how the USB port, nearly a decade after the first devices were released with USB 3.0, was still sporting USB 2. To me that is an embarrassment and I know it wasn't really important to the performance of the camera as a camera per se, but more importantly makes you questions if they can not even program firmware to use an off the shelf USB 3 chipset, what does this mean for anything they have to actually develop and design in house?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
My next camera is going to be a
EM1 mkii.
This is not a rumour, it is a fact.
I am always late to the party, but I will get there.

doxa750

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Narin
Well, here's a bit more grist for the rumor mill. The "Wow" camera may well be an EM1 IV.
https://www.43rumors.com/om-digital...a-new-camera-in-asia-is-it-the-new-wow-model/
I like that sound of that if it is going to be true :). I much prefer smaller size to the size of EM1-X. I definitely would buy one when the price is right as EM1 III still serves me really well.

I hope that they would still make EM5 IV and port EM1 III features with EVF capable of high refresh rate. The issue with EM5 III to me is that I have eyes strain badly with that OLED EVF. When I use it almost non-stop just half a day, I get headache every single time. Also, it can use high refresh rate capability. No issue when using EM1 III even when I use it all day.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My next camera is going to be a
EM1 mkii.
This is not a rumour, it is a fact.
I am always late to the party, but I will get there.
I will race you to see which of of us does that upgrade last. ;) Although the recent one, now sold, in our Buy & Sale gave me pause. But gone now so still rocking the Mark 1 (we're number 1, we're number 1 !!!).

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
While a new E-M1 seems odd, since the Mark III only has been released in spring 2020, I wouldn't be too surprised about it either. In my opinion the E-M1 series is pretty much the bread and butter camera since the very first version, with Mark I and II very well regarded and Mark III only eyed with some critics about not having changed too much in terms of hardware. So starting a new era, as dramatic as it sounds, with a completely new E-M1 version for me sounds reasonable. Also keep in mind it was said OM Digital might revise the known Olympus naming scheme of cameras, so even if it looks and feels like an E-M1, it might be called completely different.;)

I am alsp pretty sure they might still announce it later this year, which allows them to stick to their words, while doing the release next year.
If it indeed is E-M1IV it better have the "wow"-factor since yet another tiny incremental update won't cut it. The next flagship HAS TO take a leap forward - not baby steps. It will be the make it or break it moment for them. No one will take OMDS seriously if E-M1IV is just another camera with recycled parts and just a v1.02 instead v2.0.

What I fear is that they release the E-M1IV too soon without any WOW!!! -features. That would mean the end of Olympus/OMDS. Therefore I wish the next camera would be a PEN-FII instead. And with NEW parts (e.g. EVF, CPU) to send out a message that OMDS is indeed going forward and thinking about the future as well instead of just trying to milk the cow before vanishing.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Perhaps the new "wow" camera will be a m43 sensor equipped TG7. That would certainly be enough to make me go wow :)

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Perhaps the new "wow" camera will be a m43 sensor equipped TG7. That would certainly be enough to make me go wow :)
Oh I would love that! And to be able to travel with it to some country where you can actually see further than 50 cm underwater... :D

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Problem is if you did that then the current 4x optical zoom would now have to be a 12-50mm for the same field of view range. How do you fit that into roughly the same sized pocketable body?

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I will race you to see which of of us does that upgrade last. ;) Although the recent one, now sold, in our Buy & Sale gave me pause. But gone now so still rocking the Mark 1 (we're number 1, we're number 1 !!!).
Mark 1 to Mark 2 was a big upgrade. I picked one up at a show and made a decision to buy in about one minute.

Mark 2 to Mark 3 isn't a big enough upgrade to make me want to part with £££s, and I'm less than optimistic that the Mark 4 will be either unless it comes bundled with a Swedish blonde assistant.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Mark 1 to Mark 2 was a big upgrade.
Ya and I just remembered that I have my first grandchild coming early next year so considering I am likely to utilize the video feature a lot more, I am in hindsight kicking myself for not jumping on that 4k capable E-M1.2 (less than 5k shutter activations and 3 OEM batteries included) when it was posted Saturday. I will dearly miss the Tilt LCD screen of the Mark 1 though. For what I typically shoot tilt is much more useful to me than articulated. But practically everything else on the Mk2 is an upgrade.

Edited to add: Just looked at the GetOlympus web site in the refurb store. Again, the new OMDS is supposed to be a leaner company able to respond quicker without the overhead of the Olympus corporation, yet this is still showing up on the website...

Get 20% off with code PHOTODAY20 through 11:59:59 PM ET on August 20. Only $799.99 with coupon. Save $200.​

Red text emphasis mine. Kind of like my comment above about USB 2 this is another embarrassing bush league error that kind makes you question this new company and if they are competent to continue the imaging brand.

Last edited:

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
E-M1 series was already recently updated, and with a new processor too. "Wow" camera with new features would probably have to be introduced in the E-M1X series with dual processors, or in a series that has not been updated in a long time like a Pen F II, or an entirely new series. A weather-sealed Pen F II would coincide nicely with 40-150mm F4 Pro. Or maybe they can fit two processors in a body smaller than E-M1X series but bigger than E-M1 series.

E-M1 III seems like an underrated camera, with HHHR, 1.0 to 1.5 stops extra IS, and other features of E-M1X in a smaller body. As someone who bought the Mark II version a couple of months before III was announced, I am envious.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
E-M1 series was already recently updated, and with a new processor too. "Wow" camera with new features would probably have to be introduced in the E-M1X series with dual processors, or in a series that has not been updated in a long time like a Pen F II, or an entirely new series. A weather-sealed Pen F II would coincide nicely with 40-150mm F4 Pro. Or maybe they can fit two processors in a body smaller than E-M1X series but bigger than E-M1 series.

E-M1 III seems like an underrated camera, with HHHR, 1.0 to 1.5 stops extra IS, and other features of E-M1X in a smaller body. As someone who bought the Mark II version a couple of months before III was announced, I am envious.
No need for dual processors. Just introduce a new one with enough power and stop recycling old tech. Just look at the processors in mobile devices. They're making all the camera CPUs embarrassed.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don’t recall anyone talking about this, but it might have been mentioned.
I’ve been in and out of this thread the last days so it’s kind of blurry.
I fear that they (OMD) will release minor upgrades more often.
It’s a way to show “we’re releasing cameras”, and it’s a way for those who need the newest product react on their GAS.
I think it’s a possibility that em1’s will be released faster then we’re used to.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I don’t recall anyone talking about this, but it might have been mentioned.
I’ve been in and out of this thread the last days so it’s kind of blurry.
I fear that they (OMD) will release minor upgrades more often.
It’s a way to show “we’re releasing cameras”, and it’s a way for those who need the newest product react on their GAS.
I think it’s a possibility that em1’s will be released faster then we’re used to.
Actually I wouldn't mind this approach IF it meant more/better features to E-M5 series. Nowadays they are disgracefully neglecting the whole E-M5 series with zero development. The only fw-updates it gets are fixes for new lenses and that's it. I'd be willing to pay for the fw-updates or getting a new CPU, HHHR implemented or especially animal eye AF. Just give me something FFS. But no. Only "the update fixes the incompatibility issue with the 8-25mm f/4 lens"-type of updates and that's it. Have to wait 3-4 years until the next minor update. And even then they just take the inner parts of previous generation E-M1 and forget it the camera again.

So yeah... I'd be willing to buy a new E-M5x every year if it meant I'd get something new. It would ease my GAS and it would make OMDS sell more cameras.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No need for dual processors. Just introduce a new one with enough power and stop recycling old tech. Just look at the processors in mobile devices. They're making all the camera CPUs embarrassed.
So you are saying that the processor in the E-M1 III is old? Not any more powerful than the one in the mark II? Okay.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's going to be a full frame, fixed lens compact with a 35mm f/2 lens (with optimized 1.5x and 2x crop modes), the most advanced IBIS in the business, OLED EVF, flip down LCD, Fuji style dials for SS, Aperture and EC, weather sealing, global shutter, 50mp, made from milled magnesium and real leather all with physical specs within a millimeter of the original film Olympus OM-1. It will also debut a new partnership with Kodak and Ilford for branded presets of classic films. Including Ilford Delta and Kodak Kodachrome.

It will simply be call the OM-1.

:biggrin:

Ilford FP4 and HP5 are the classics. Delta is just a young pretender.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom