Is the HLD-8 Grip a 'must have'?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nzdigital, Aug 19, 2015.

1. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    Greetings all.

I'm about to make my first purchase for my EM-5 Mk2 kit, and am seriously considering the HLD-8 before a lens (I have the 12-50mm kit lens).

I find the size of the EM-5 II 'ok', and I don't have very big hands, but would appreciate the extra purchase it gives (I do like the handling of the EM-1 better for example), and a second battery is always a good thing - right?

But... for the price of the HLD-8, I could get a prime lens instead (I'm thinking maybe the Olympus 45mm f1.8) - as well as the 40-150mm f4/5.6 R?

All of these are lightweight lenses, so I could live with the EM-5 as it is, but I also hope to 'one day' upgrade to the pro series lenses (especially the 12-40mm f2.8).

My final reason for seriously considering the HLD-8 as a first purchase is that I plan on shooting weddings with this kit, and would find the portrait shutter release and extra battery option very handy.

I'm coming from the DLSR world where I 'griped' my cameras no matter what I owned (my last DSLR was a 1D Mk3), and I'm a bit concerned that I'm simply carrying over that mentality to the mirrorless world. I don't think the EM-5 Mk2 is 'too' small, but it's close....

For those who have the grip on their EM-5's, is it worth it? Do you use it all the time? Is it a 'must have' accessory for the EM-5s?

Or am I better looking at lenses instead? And if so, what would be the lens to add first with the 12-50mm?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Wayne

2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    It sounds to me like you would find it useful. I have the grip for the E-M1 as well as the E-M5 mkI, and while I don't use them all the time, I usually have either the grip or an L-plate. For bigger lenses, especially on the E-M5, it's helpful. If you are in the middle of a wedding, the extra battery would also be important.

That said, I also think you will want to upgrade your lense. The 12-50 is good for people just starting out because it's versatile and has a lot of features, but it's slow, not very sharp and won't get you as much background blur - all potential concerns for weddings. I imagine the 12-40 Pro, or one of the high end Panny zooms, would be good for wedding photography. A prime would help you get closer to the background blur you were probably used to with your DSLR, but for that you might want to look at one of the fast 42.5 options, or the 75 1.8.

Sorry. I guess I'm suggesting you spend a lot of money and buy both. :whistling:

3. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    If you don't need the full grip just get the HLD-8G, which is $114 at B&H. Or the ECG-2, which is $132.

4. cd23murray

cd23murray Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    North Carolina
    I use the grip section all the time, and the battery part when shooting an event or if I need portrait orientation alot. BTW.. if you keep an eye out and not in any hurry, you can get them cheaper on ebay. I got mine for 190 in like new shape.

5. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    another option is to get an affordable metal grip like the fotodiox pro discussed here:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/78689/

then what you save from buying the hld-8 will allow you to get better lenses, either of the f2.8 zooms or the f1.8 primes. ;)

6. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    Wayne
    [QUOTE="That said, I also think you will want to upgrade your lense. The 12-50 is good for people just starting out because it's versatile and has a lot of features, but it's slow, not very sharp and won't get you as much background blur - all potential concerns for weddings. I imagine the 12-40 Pro, or one of the high end Panny zooms, would be good for wedding photography. A prime would help you get closer to the background blur you were probably used to with your DSLR, but for that you might want to look at one of the fast 42.5 options, or the 75 1.8.

Sorry. I guess I'm suggesting you spend a lot of money and buy both. :whistling:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Lcrunyon - I certainly have my eye on the 12-40mm f2.8 as my main wedding lens - but not at the moment :-(
    Hence my interest in the 45mm f1.8, although I don't think I could shoot an entire wedding with just that lens? Thinking that just the grip option, with a fast prime, might be my best bet at this stage?

Until I can get it ALL ;)

7. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Although the grip extension is necessary for my hands, I find I don't REALLY need the extra battery much for my type of shooting. Nice but not worth the extra weight and expense. If that describes you, you might be better served by one of the far less expensive grip extensions and saving the extra money for lens(es.) A quick check on Amazon shows that Olympus offers the HLD-8G and Fotodiox has one for about $40.00 US.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It's worth it. Works great, and if you get into doing any video, the audio monitor jack is in the HLD-8G part of the grip.

9. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    When I tried it I actually found it a bit annoying - I too have small hands and it just didn't sit properly so I eould try one first if possible.

On the other hand, the grip on the EM1 improves the feel no end for me - gives me somewhere to rest my pinkie.

10. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I have the two-piece grip for my E-M5 (Mk I), and I never use it. I prefer my kit to be as small/light as possible...I *MIGHT* start using it for the 75 and I'd definitely use it for the 100-300 (whenever I actually get one of those), but I don't find it necessary for anything else.

Especially since you're only shooting with the kit lens, I would concentrate on getting different lenses first...that'll help you get way more out of your camera than a grip.

11. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I have the grip and battery grip. It is worth it. I use them both all of the time. I have larger hands and larger lenses (Nocticron) and its feels natural with the grips on.
    Try EBAY I bought the battery grip on there with the grip for the EM5 (not II) and sold the grip I wasn't using and it practically paid for itself. I did buy the grip for the EM5 II
    brand new and its fantastic!

12. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If all I had was the 12-50mm, a grip would be very, very low on my priority list compared to a new lens.

The "grip" that I have added to both my GX1 and GX7 is a $10-15 aluminum hot-shoe thumb grip. Actually works remarkably well at improving the security of the grip, and I'm no strobist so I don't mind that my hot-shoe is occupied.