1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the GX8 significantly better than the G7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Will Karstens, May 27, 2016.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    I've come to wonder if the larger pixel count is the only difference between the GX8 and the G7? Is there more to it?

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

GX8 also has image stabilisation for stills and a much bigger EVF that tilts. I've personally just sold my GX8 and went back to a GX7. I couldn't get on with the fully articulating screen!

3. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    And I've just sold my GX8 and bought a GX85 and e-m5 Mrk ii, there must be something in the air?

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, for me the articulated LCD is a major deal. When I went to GX7s from G1s I knew I was losing that, but I didn't realize how much I would miss it for low angle portrait format shots. I sold one of my GX7s and bought a GX8 primarily for that feature. The GX8's battery is bigger, giving a better grip, and hopefully more shooting time than the GX7s. I will know about that after our next trip. The 4K "burst" mode of the GX8 is also quite neat; I am still learning about it. I was playing with it last night shooting two puppies playing. One made a leap, I pressed the shutter, and had a recording of the full leap (from 1 sec before the shutter release!) from which to select frames. Amazing! There are other feature differences I'm sure but those are the ones that are of interest to me.

But the GX8 is BIG. I am very unhappy about this and it may keep me from replacing my GX7 with another GX8. I bought M43 for small size and this is a real step backwards. Just MHO. I want a GX8 in the GX7's size.

People will tell you that the EVF is a major improvement. I am a glasses-wearer and, truthfully, I do not see a lot of difference between the two. I use the EVF only for composition so I am not very demanding. It could be B&W and still meet my needs.

Pixel count is a don't care for me. I rarely crop heavily and the GX7 images are good enough for anything I might do with them.

5. Palmguy

Palmguy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I went the other way....I tried out the GX85 intending it to get one for a second body, decided I'd rather pick up a second GX8 which just arrived today.

I do prefer the simple tilt screen of the GX7/GX85 though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    To be clear: I mean the G7, not the GX7.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oops. Sorry to lead the parade in the wrong direction. That is not the comparison I am used to seeing.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GX8 adds:

Magnesium alloy body (vs plastic G7)
    Larger, tilting viewfinder
    Weather sealing
    20MP (vs 16)
    1/8000 max shutter speed
    higher 1/250 flash sync (vs 1/160)
    10fps burst (vs 7)

The G7 is a fantastic value and is very high-spec, but the GX8 is a little better across the board.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    I was recently debating between the GX8 and the GX85 and chose to purchase the GX8

What was your reasoning for going with a second GX8 instead of getting a GX85? I was contemplating the same thing and decided to go with the GX8 for the better build, articulating screen, and the better EVF. Is there any chance of getting 4K stabilization through a firmware update for the GX8?

10. Palmguy

Palmguy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    There were a few different factors for me; battery commonality (particularly on the road), control similarity (for one, it annoys me that Panasonic moved the review and display buttons from where they were on the GX7/GX8), the viewfinder, and also the price. I expect I'll have a GX85 that'll serve as a smaller go everywhere camera when I can pick one up used at a bit of a discount.