Is the GX8 significantly better than the G7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Will Karstens, May 27, 2016.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    I've come to wonder if the larger pixel count is the only difference between the GX8 and the G7? Is there more to it?

2. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

GX8 also has image stabilisation for stills and a much bigger EVF that tilts. I've personally just sold my GX8 and went back to a GX7. I couldn't get on with the fully articulating screen!

3. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    And I've just sold my GX8 and bought a GX85 and e-m5 Mrk ii, there must be something in the air?

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Well, for me the articulated LCD is a major deal. When I went to GX7s from G1s I knew I was losing that, but I didn't realize how much I would miss it for low angle portrait format shots. I sold one of my GX7s and bought a GX8 primarily for that feature. The GX8's battery is bigger, giving a better grip, and hopefully more shooting time than the GX7s. I will know about that after our next trip. The 4K "burst" mode of the GX8 is also quite neat; I am still learning about it. I was playing with it last night shooting two puppies playing. One made a leap, I pressed the shutter, and had a recording of the full leap (from 1 sec before the shutter release!) from which to select frames. Amazing! There are other feature differences I'm sure but those are the ones that are of interest to me.

But the GX8 is BIG. I am very unhappy about this and it may keep me from replacing my GX7 with another GX8. I bought M43 for small size and this is a real step backwards. Just MHO. I want a GX8 in the GX7's size.

People will tell you that the EVF is a major improvement. I am a glasses-wearer and, truthfully, I do not see a lot of difference between the two. I use the EVF only for composition so I am not very demanding. It could be B&W and still meet my needs.

Pixel count is a don't care for me. I rarely crop heavily and the GX7 images are good enough for anything I might do with them.

5. Palmguy

Palmguy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    NW Florida
    Brian
    I went the other way....I tried out the GX85 intending it to get one for a second body, decided I'd rather pick up a second GX8 which just arrived today.

I do prefer the simple tilt screen of the GX7/GX85 though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    To be clear: I mean the G7, not the GX7.

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oops. Sorry to lead the parade in the wrong direction. That is not the comparison I am used to seeing.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GX8 adds:

Magnesium alloy body (vs plastic G7)
    Larger, tilting viewfinder
    Weather sealing
    20MP (vs 16)
    1/8000 max shutter speed
    higher 1/250 flash sync (vs 1/160)
    10fps burst (vs 7)

The G7 is a fantastic value and is very high-spec, but the GX8 is a little better across the board.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    I was recently debating between the GX8 and the GX85 and chose to purchase the GX8

What was your reasoning for going with a second GX8 instead of getting a GX85? I was contemplating the same thing and decided to go with the GX8 for the better build, articulating screen, and the better EVF. Is there any chance of getting 4K stabilization through a firmware update for the GX8?

10. Palmguy

Palmguy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    NW Florida
    Brian
    There were a few different factors for me; battery commonality (particularly on the road), control similarity (for one, it annoys me that Panasonic moved the review and display buttons from where they were on the GX7/GX8), the viewfinder, and also the price. I expect I'll have a GX85 that'll serve as a smaller go everywhere camera when I can pick one up used at a bit of a discount.

11. For me it's really about two things -

The first is the EVF which is, in a word, fantastic - easily the best on any digital camera I have ever used - and more than a rival for those on the better DSLR's that I used to lug around before converting to mirrorless.

The second is the construction - not merely weather-sealed but rock-solid - or tank-solid --- it has to be one of the most solid and well-built modern cameras I have ever handled.

Those two aspects alone set the GX8 apart - not only from the G7 - but from pretty much everything else in Panasonic's line - and apart from most other mirrorless cameras I have handled or used. The one exception, construction-wise, being Fuji's XPRO-2 - which also has that beautifully built rock-solid feel - and in its own way, a fantastic combination EVF/OVF. But I'm straying off-topic here -

It definitely is in a different league than the G7 - which by the way I have only handled - and which, let it be said, is a very fine camera and photographic tool in its own right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. The G7 is well liked for its grip, how does the GX8 fit those who have held both? I tried the G7 briefly but several bills arrived about 2 weeks later :(

13. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    - I'll also add something I remember hearing: The G7 electronic shutter shoots in 10 bit as opposed to the GX8's 12 bit?
    - G7 has a built-in Flash , the GX8 doesn't neither does it come with one as an accessory

Along with all of these technical differences I'll add my own experiences as I initially had a G7 but lost it under unfortunate circumstances. I replaced it with a GX8.

- The G7's ergonomics were amazing, the grip especially just melted in your hand. All the controls were in sensible locations and easy to reach. It was my first 'real' camera so I didn't know how good it really was till I got the GX8.
    - I liked having the physical mode dial on the G7 since I could immediately tell what mode I was in without looking at the screen. You have to press a separate button to switch modes on the GX8.
    - I don't like the fn 7 is placed on the GX8, by the lens, and the grip on the GX8 usually means u end up pressing the disp button by accident a lot.
    - I liked the size of the G7, it felt compact. I was afraid , based on all the complaining , that the GX8 was going to be too big but in reality it's not that much bigger, it's just distributed differently
    upload_2017-6-11_16-24-57.

After all that though I still wouldn't go back to a G7.
    - I LOVE the large tilting EVF of the GX8
    - The weathersealing definitely adds piece of mind. Even moreso now that I have one of the weathersealed f2.8 zooms
    - The ergonomics of the GX8 are improved somewhat by adding the leather half-case. It fills out the grip so I have more to hold onto and gives me somewhere to rest my little finger other than under the camera. It also makes the fn7 button more easily accessible since the case positions my finger right over it but not resting on it.
    - The extra 4MP is not a HUGE difference but every little bit helps if you have to crop a lot.
    - The DUAL IS capabilities definitely helps when using compatible lenses and the IBIS adds a bit when using unstabilized lenses.

If the G85 had a 20MP sensor and a tilting EVF and a 1/250th flash sync speed I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. chaconi

chaconi Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 13, 2016
    Very South Florida
    GX8 all the way for me. The GX7 was never more than a passing interest to me. The GX8 hits all the switches for me.

15. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    He was actually referring to the G7 not the GX7

16. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I have 2 Gx8 and a Gx85. Gx8 is a better camera but the Gx85 for the price is a really nice camera. Gx8 would be my choice if I had to choose as I think it is a special camera. See the Gx8 thread.

17. chaconi

chaconi Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 13, 2016
    Very South Florida
    Whoops, madness trying to keep up with camera model names these days/

18. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason

Yep, i keep an eye on the Gx8 Image thread and the level of detail in some shots is remarkable. I dont subscribe to the "20mp doesnt give much more than the 16mp" theory. I think that it can with the right lenses. And that applies even to the AA-less G85 (which i love), let alone the older G7.

19. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The maths is pretty simple - 20MP gives a 12% improvement in linear resolution over 16MP. If the 16MP camera has no AA filter then it really can't be any more than that. I believe the GX8 does have an AA filter, though? If so, the improvement will be less vs a 16MP camera without one. The significance of that is, of course, down to the individual. If I look at a site that compares cameras under identical conditions (such as this one) I can't see any difference, but I'd be interested if there's a comparison that does show a difference.