Is the GX7 designed by Olympus?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ulfric M Douglas, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Could the GX7 be a mainly Olympus design? *ducks* :)

Nice retro styling with touchable metal.

In-body stabilisation.

Wireless flash control.

"want it!" appeal.

High starting price.

Anyone with any more 'Olympic' trends to add, feel free.

Heck if they nail auto-WB and Jpeg colours I'll rest my case. Guilty.
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    No....because it comes with a free grip.
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Don't the newer Pens (at least the E-PL5) come with grips? It would be a NO if the lens came with a hood. :smile:
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    ...looks like they're copying Panasonic now.
    What next ?.....lens hoods that come with the lens :eek:

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I was going to say No due not having to spend another $400 on the EVF (*ducks and runs*).
  6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    All Panasonic cameras I have owned had lens hoods included as a part of the kit.
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    GX7 is designed by Olympus, and Panasonic starts designing separate batteries for every Olympus camera! :wink:
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX1 looks pretty similar to the GX7, I think the shinier metal bits are just an attempt to garner the flashy appeal that Olympus already has. Unnecessary, if you ask me.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
  10. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I've always thought Olympus drew inspiration from their older cameras where as Panasonic was more modern. I prefer Olympus's retro/modern design over Panasonic's. It seems like Panasonic is also jumping on the retro/modern bandwagon but ends up looking like the rest (Fuji?).
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've always thought Olympus focused on retro design to the detriment of ergonomics and functionality, while Panasonic focused more on usability to a photographer than on style. With the GX-7, they may have managed to combine a bit of both. :wink:
  12. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Now I think the OP is right. It explains why the EPL5 feels not quite finished. Panasonic stole the design before Olympus could get the EPL5 into production :wink:
  13. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    My sentiments exactly...
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    All Olympus camera lenses I've had came with lens hoods until I got into M4/3's. :frown:
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Am I alone in thinking that the words GX7 and style don't go together? Looks like an awesome camera and I'd love to have one based on specs and features but I can't call it stylish nor attractive. For me only the E-P1 to E-P5 remain the true stylemasters in Micro 4/3.
  16. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I was originally indifferent but the more I read about the specs and features in GX-7 and the size of it, the more interested I am. This is REALLY what the GF-2 should have been, or at least it's what I wanted the GF-2 to be. Or the E-P3 or E-P5 for that matter. Geez, now I have to strategerize how I can raise the money to afford one. A second job maybe?
  17. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I tend to favor the Olympus products but I think the GX7 looks great. I would really like to see some reviews about the sensor and see it if has made some big strides. If it is equal to the GH3, I think they have a solid winner - maybe even if it doesn't.
  18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    The straight through top edge of the GX7 means it does not share the Olympus PEN curved and stepped top styling line.
    The GX7 is not a PEN.
  19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think this is like arguing how many angels fit on the head of a pin. You can find similarities, and differences, between all of these cameras.

Seriously, how can you say the E-P5 resembles the original Pen? The division between the metal and leather sections is completely different, and the new one doesn't have a big round dial on the front! And what's with the round shutter release?

Absurd? Yes. But so are most of the other "comparisons" between the GX, the Pen, and any of a hundred other similarly styled phones.
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    They need not be identical. But one of the main style elements is the top curve. Also not identical. Modernised perhaps. But the character of it is important and has been deliberately kept. No another brand has that PEN style element.