1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the GF5 a capable camera?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by elandel, Oct 10, 2013.

1. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Hi all. I'm seeking for something to replace my P7100 in m4/3 territory. I already own m4/3 bodies and lenses, but want something pocketable and affordable. Was thinking about the Epm1 but also looking in Pana's house. The GF5 body only used in mint condition should come at a reasonable price here in Italy.
    Lets say around 150 euros. How is the IQ? And features? Would use it with my 14-42 or 14-150 for more verasatility, but only on rare occasions.

Thanks for you help.

2. norazi

norazi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2013
    as someone who has owned both the GF5 and EPM1.. the differences are:

GF5
    - better ergonomics and arguably better build quality
    - MUCH better screen (both image quality and resolution, plus its touch)
    - more intuitive menu system IMHO
    - slightly better video capability
    - "live preview" is horrendous on all panasonics from my experience
    - built in flash but no hotshoe

EPM1
    - built in IBIS gives you some extra leeway in low light
    - faster performance overall (AF, menus, UI, etc)
    - hotshoe, but no built in flash

both use fairly dated sensors and are good up to about 1600 ISO, the GF5 has slightly better ISO performance but the EPM1 has IBIS so it cancels out... I would say the overall quality of the sensors on both cameras lie somewhere in between that of the Nikon V1/J1's 1" sensor and thew newer 16mp sensors on the GX1 and OMD. i would go with the EPM1 for a no compromises image quality between the two choices or the GF5 for all around performance and comfort

ideally you would save up for a GX1, EPM2, or EPL5

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I already own an E-pl5 and wanted something smaller. My choice was the E-pm1 but read about the ibis issue and stood back and looked for something else. What I'm mainly interested in is IQ.

4. norazi

norazi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2013

epm1 IBIS is fine after enabling antishock, see:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=35127

EPM1 and EPL5 are very similar in size where i dont think its worth grabbing for just the size difference. especially after you add a lens to both

both the EPM1 and GF5 have very similar IQ, definitely a step below the EPL5

5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Gf5 is a cute , capable little camera. My wife uses one with the Oly 14-42 IIr lens, with great results.

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Sure it's capable, just nowhere near as capable as a G5 that costs half as much, not to mention a GX7

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The GX1 is a little bigger but a fantastic camera at a fantastic price.

Sent from my Nexus 7

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    There's a new really tiny Panasonic mu43 body coming out called the GM1. It's very small and is supposed to have the GX7 sensor. It won't be as cheap as the gf5 or epm1 but it looks to be pretty sweet.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's not a micro 4/3 body - it's a fixed lens compact camera. It uses a 4/3 sensor, supposedly, but it's NOT micro 4/3 if it doesn't have the micro 4/3 lens mount.

10. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Indeed, and to be more precise Panasonic is going to be announcing the GM1 next week officially! This would be the camera you're looking for if you desire a truly pocketable Micro 4/3 body. According to the rumor mill, the body is supposed to be as small as the Lumix LF1, and it will be bundled with a 12-32mm lens that's supposed to be even smaller than the current powerzoom kit lens.

I cannot recommend a GF5 for your needs; while I find my GF3 a very respectable camera which has given me great enjoyment and magnificent images, it is not pocketable with anything other than the Olympus Body Cap Lens. Even the 14mm pancake makes it too thick for jeans pockets. It's ok if you're talking cargo pockets, but then in your place I'd wait for this new camera's cost and features to be revealed before making a decision! And unlike the GF5, it wouldn't mean a step backwards in IQ for you!

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve