1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is the G9 the biz?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Acraftman, May 15, 2019.

1. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    I have been communicating with this traveler and mentioned I shoot oly as he said he is hoping to purchase a G9 for his travels he replied , I absolutely loved my olympus OMDEM10 and if you know of an olympus model similar to G9 in features I would definitely have a look.
    Since I just shoot stills I cannot give any knowledgable advice but if there ever was someone whom really, really can justify the need for light, dependable ,weatherproof,dustproof, good battery life gear it is Iohan.
    So any thoughts or ideas are welcome. He doesn't upload often so his videos are on the longer side but are really awesome so if you have the time you might enjoy.

The Video Project — Bike Wanderer

2. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    For video a Lumix GH5 would be better. It has a broader range of video functions. The G9 is a stills based camera that does a bit video
    The G9’s is restricted when regarding video, sublime for stills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The G9 does a bit of video?

I would hardly classify 60fps 4K and 180fps 1080p as "a bit of video". Other than the GH5, what cameras on the market today will shoot at those specs?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Veteran

It obviously depends on what specs the users needs. Note the G9 is limited to 10 minutes at 60fps 4K and 180fps at 1080p.

For me, the big issue with the G9 and all Olympus cameras is a single video is limited to under 30 minutes. If you are filming scripted sequences where you shoot small segments and combine them later in editing or only do short videos, then that doesn't matter. But if you are recording live events like a wedding, a lecture, or a show, things might not fit into convenient 30 minute slots. The length issue comes from a European tariff that imposed a higher import duty on video cameras than still cameras. From what I've read, either the tariff has already expired or it will expire next month.

There are Panasonic cameras that don't have the video length issue. The G90/G95, GH5 and GH5s cameras don't have the issue at all. The non-european versions of some of the cameras also don't have limits, such as the G85 that I have.

Now, if you are willing to run unofficial firmware on your camera, you can bypass these limits in some cameras:
    Next up in terms of video issues is whether the camera supports 4K video, and if it does, whether it has a crop when shooting 4K. I don't shoot 4K presently, so it is only a theoretical issue for me at present. Most Olympus cameras don't support 4K until the latest generation (E-m1x, E-m1 mark II, E-m10 mark III, and Pen E-PL9). With the exception of the G9, GH5, and GH5s most of the Panasonic cameras that shoot 4k have a crop factor of 1.1 on 16MP sensors like the G85, and 1.25 on 20MP sensors like the G95. I don't know if the E-m1x, E-m1 mark II have 4K crop factors, but the E-m10 mark III doesn't seem to.

The G9, GH5, and GH5s recently got a firmware update that improves video focusing, but the other Panasonic bodies did not. I don't know if the G95 included that support or not. On my G85, I find it is similar if I don't enable continuous auto focus, but instead use the touch screen to set the focus point when shooting 1080p. The conventional wisdom is you want to use a Panasonic lens with the Panasonic body to enable the DFD (depth from defocus) capability that speeds up continuous focusing. Also the conventional wisdom is auto focusing is much slower on most Panasonic bodies at 4K compared to 1080p.

<edit>
    In addition, the GH5 and GH5s have a lot more support for other video features (10 bit recording, higher bitrate codecs, waveform, etc.). If you are serious about video, the GH5 is probably the best solution, unless you are filming in low light situations on a tripod/gimble, where the GH5s becomes the best camera.

Another feature to consider is whether the camera has an external microphone. Many of the low end and mid-range cameras (like the E-m10 mark III) don't have support for an external microphone.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    While the Gh5/Gh5s are the kings of video, the G9 is certainly no slouch. For documentary you are going to be shooting probably at the most 30 minutes segments, most are done in shorter segments. Commercials, serials, and even full length features are shot in smaller segments. Most slow motion sequences are short. sound in is good , sound out is better. G9 is a really fine camera, best I've ever used.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mike G

Mike G Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I quite agree with all of the above and the G9 is absolutely not slouching around! I’m going to marry mine and have its babies. :flowers_2: When I get down from :cloud-9-039:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Acraftman

Acraftman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    I hope people continue to chime in I will forward this to Iohan whom is out there somewhere. Please take a look at any of his videos and you will understand his particulars as far as equipment goes.

8. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I've just watched the first half hour video - absolutely incredible!! What a man!

9. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012

As others have noted, the G9 is more stills oriented and the reason is that it has a 30 min video restriction. If the latter is not an issue, and it isn't for many folks like Vloggers, then the G9 is probably just fine. You might also check out the new G90 which is more video oriented - no 30 min restriction and built-in vlog (which you have to pay extra for if you buy the GH5).

10. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    It's the G9 the real deal? Nothing like some long term usage, a year at least, to get the real picture. Pun intended.
    I've shot mine for about 17 months now, and like it more and more as time passes. It's my favourite camera of all time, and I really liked my Canon crop and full frame DSLR's.
    Here's a one year review from someone who's used it along side other current crop and full frame cameras, for a year, and seems to have similar thoughts. A bit more video oriented, of which I personally have no interest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.