1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the G3 and 45 1.8 a good combination?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Amrak, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Amrak

Amrak Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    Seattle, Washington
    I'm looking to get a nice portrait lens. I read the 45mm 1.8 from Olympus is a good lens, but is this lens okay with the G3? Would I have any problems not having stabilization? I'm fairly new to this stuff and would love to get opinions. Thanks!

2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I was just using my new 45 on a G3 that I picked up yesterday. The combo works fine just like it does in an Oly body. Personally, and without having done any statistical research or measurement, the 45 seems to AF a little bit faster on the EP3 than the G3.

4. Amrak

Amrak Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    Seattle, Washington
    Those pictures look a little washed out and somewhat soft. I primarily want to get this lens to shoot my girlfriend's head shots for her dance portfolio. I used to use my LX-5 and got very good results. Any recommendations where I can get this lens online?

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Good luck mate! They are typically backordered. Latest update was that the Olympus online store had some in stock. So I'd check the Oly website.

I preordered mine from Amazon back in July 7. Got it this week.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    would not surprise me if it did better on the oly bodies. I love mine on the g3 in testing. I have been side tracked with some personal matters so I haven't been able to really use it. But is seems quite nice from my testing. Would like it to focus faster of course, but it's up there in speed

7. Amrak

Amrak Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    Seattle, Washington
    Hopefully I can find this lens next week, I'll check the Olympus store to see if they have it.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Using an Olympus lens on a Panasonic camera is 100% compatible.

9. Amrak

Amrak Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2011
    Seattle, Washington
    Thanks! When I bought my G3 at Kenmore camera, they weren't really specific about compatibility. It's good to know.

10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The G3 + 45/1.8 was plenty fast for me. For whatever reasons, the AF just felt a tad bit faster on the EP3. Probably for the same reasons the 20/1.7 feels faster on the G3 and GH2 than on the EP3.

BUT, the G3 appeared to be able to lock focus with the 45/1.8 in low light better than the EP3. Compared to the EP2, just about all the new Pens and ALL Pany's (old and new) seem ultra fast!

11. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    All m4/3 bodies and lenses are totally compatible. A number of the older 4/3 lenses are also compatible with the system. For anyone new, its a "system", that means they all have the same mount. Oly has stabilization in the body, Panasonic has stabilization in a number of lenses, but all are interchangeable. I come from Canon where I only had two long lenses with stabilzation so I prefer lens stabilization but that's a personal preference. I have both Panny and Oly lenses on Panny bodies, others vice versa.

Diane B

12. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    Works for me.

[​IMG]