1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is the EPL5 shutter fast enough?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chris02, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Chris02

Chris02 New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm looking to upgrade my EPL1 and wondering whether to go for the EPL5 or EP5.

One of the things which I'd like to see improvements in is the ability to take shallow dof photos in brighter light.

For example, I'd like to be able to take something like P3251463 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! without blowing out details.

Would the EP5 be noticeably better with its even faster shutter speed and iso 100? Or should I just save some money and buy the EPL5 and some filters?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Get a 3-stop neutral density filter. That would be a much better investment and it's something you can try it with your E-PL1 without upgrading bodies.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you shoot in RAW, kill the overexposed shots in post processing :smile:

4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    There are two things to note though. First, there are will be very few instances when you'd want to shoot wide open during the harsh daylight simply because this is the worst light for your images aesthetically. There are even photographers who simply refuse to shoot during the day (I speak about portraits and other things where you need to go wide open). Second, you'd most likely want to use a polirized filter during the harsh sunlight anyway in order to kill an unwonted polirized reflections, which will cut the amount of light you get. I also use a NDx8 filter which lets me take any photo during any period of the day wide open :)

Of course there is that moment-capturing physics in 1/8000 shutter that cannot be tricked with filters, but I don't think it is worth upgrading right now (at least for me). Look at all classic photographers - they all shot with 1/4000 at best! I don't think the quality of your images depends a lot on the max shutter speed of your camera :) I mean it is good to have it, but it won't make your camera produce great shots ;-)

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yes I guess the e-P5 will be four times better for your task.
    Bear in mind your e-pL1 has a max shutterspeed of 1/2000sec and the older e-P2 does 1/4000 so is twice as 'good', and that's the main reason I bought one.
    I use the e-P2 for bright daytime shallow-DOF without filters.

6. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I will echo what DeeJayK said, just get a 3 Stop ND filter for your fast glass. Simple.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well, if you do the math, you can get 1 stop darker exposure than in that example photo with the E-PL5 at 1/4000 & ISO 200. The E-P5 would get you 2 stops darker at 1/8000.

The E-P5 would technically give you another stop darker at ISO 100 but bear in mind the ISO 100 on the E-P5 is a "pull". Meaning it just shoots it at ISO 200 and reduces the exposure by one stop in-camera. IMO if you're going to do that you may as well do it afterwards in post-processing where you have better processing power and flexibility.

As others have pointed out, while a couple stops of extra flexibility in shutter speed is great, an ND filter or two (or even a simple polarizer which darkens things 1-2 stops) is even more flexible since it lets you work at other shutter speeds besides the max while still shooting wide open.

8. Chris02

Chris02 New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2013
    Thanks all. The reasons for upgrading from the EPL1 aren't really about the shutter speed. I'm just trying to work out if, when I do upgrade, I can justify spending significantly more for an EP5.

It sounds like the lessons are to shoot in raw (I do now but not when I took that photo) and get a filter.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Bottom line: if you really want to justify the E-P5 over the E-PL5 I'm sure that you can work out all kinds of reasons to do so :wink: (more external controls, WiFi, focus-peaking, etc.), but the faster shutter speed alone, while nice, wouldn't provide justification enough for me.