Is the ep1 totally defunct?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ggcadc, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ggcadc

ggcadc Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011
    I just got an ep1 for a price I was comfortable paying, don't yet have the funds for $1000 on a mft cam. I love shooting with this and the iq seems on par with my dslr(nikon d90) unless I'm using some better glass(50 1.4 afs, nothing touches it) or shooting over iso400. So is the rapid growth from Olympus due more to competition with lumix, or are there really leaps and bounds in the last two years? I know there are those of you out there who started with the ep1 and have upgraded to the 2 and now 3, I'm curious to know, is this body that outdated?

The reason I ask is in nikon land, the d80 is still really a great body, the d90 is only better in certain situations, and the d7000 by the same margins out plays the d90... So if these are similar to the gaps in performance with Olympus, I know I'm in great shape with the ep1 body for a couple years before I really need to upgrade.

2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the gaps between model iterations are similar from what I've seen. Nonexistent to "normal" people and earth shattering to pixel peepers.

• Like Like x 2
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I agree with Luke...and I've gone from 1 to 2 to E-P3. The criteria for me was not IQ, but ergonomics. I got the ep2 to be able to use the vf-2, which my eyes now require. I got the Ep3 for overall speed and built in flash for controlling other flashes.

The ep1 was and is a great cam!

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ggcadc

ggcadc Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 11, 2011
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. Very reassuring. Thearne3, the ergonomics get better? Lol, I find this amazingly comfortable to shoot with, without being a stone to carry, glad to know Olympus puts so much consideration into the function of their gear, instead of just making it smaller and packing in more useless features.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    ...e-P1 is the only one with it's own forum, innit? (ee pee one dot net)

As for image quality, mine is very good indeed ... but as Tom put it : ergonomics improvements from model to model. (EVF, flash)
    I still think the e-pL2 got it rightest and I'm aiming to get one when it too is cheap enough to land in my hands.

7. I've never had an issue with what the E-P1 did, just how long it takes to do it.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The E-P1 is a great camera. If you have no need for an EVF and many do not then it's a heck of a bargain. The speed can be improved by turning off the IBIS or even paring it up with a fast focusing lens like the Panasonic 14. There are lots of reasons you may prefer a different camera but the lack of capability on the E-P1's part is likely not one of them.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'm a Nikon guy too :smile:
    IMHO, the E-P1 is more comparible to your D80.

That being said, it's a very capable and can compliment a D80 in most situations. Based upon your Nikon experience, the logical move up from the E-P1 for you (based upon my understanding of your funds) would be the E-PL3.

But right now, you're still in good shape with the E-P1 on the Olympus side of the house - Panasonic has accelerated past Olympus in sensor performance with their GH2 & G3 models. And they (Panasonic) might even distance themselves from Olympus even more with future sensor improvements.

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    These forums for the most part are for gearheads. As such, the responses to gear are rather predictable. You can go to DPReview and see direct comparisons to different model cameras, old and new. You will find that there has not been any significant changes to the technology. Improving your skills as a photographer will have a far greater impact on your results than upgrading to the latest camera.

Sincerely,

An E-P1 owner

• Like Like x 2
  11. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've always been one of the worst people for "upgraditis" being convinced that having older or cheaper kit was in some way affecting my photography.
    After 3 years of having various expensive DSLR equipment and systems (Sony, Olympus, Pentax) I bought an EP1 a couple of months ago mainly as it was cheap, and I've enjoyed it much more than I ever have any of the other kit I've used, playing around with old Canon FD lenses it tremendous fun and I've found myself enjoying my photography much more instead of finding it a chore.

The only real fault I have with my EP1 is the lack of ability to use the VF2 electronic viewfinder but I might pickup a cheap EP2 to enable me to do that in future, aside from that I reckon the EP1 is an excellent camera, and as others have said not really that far technically behind even the new EP3

12. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    In my eyes something only becomes 'defunct' when....

1) It breaks.

2) You don't enjoy using it anymore.

3) It no longer does what you want or need.

Like many things in life, there are always new models around the corner. If it does what you want, and you still enjoy it, why worry about what you don't have. The fact that many people are using old lenses on their newer cameras shows that new isn't always what works well.

13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    It takes fine pictures, it's nice to use and will mount practically any lens ever made (if you're prepared to find an adapter). Superseded by "new, improved" models, maybe but defunct? Surely not.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The Olympus store is still asking $799 USD for the E-P1 if that means anything to you :wink:

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Then my E-P1 is truly defunct. :( But this is one of the rare dead cameras I have which I actually intend on fixing... It's that special. ;)

16. Phil B

Phil B Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    UK
    Trying to fix something is usually my first answer to number 1, unless I know that I have no chance - my other half says I'm tight, I just don't like to waste things. It's amazing what you can do and learn from something ready for the bin.

17. jsk

jsk New to Mu-43

Jul 24, 2011
    To all of you with the ep 1 and 2. Do you feel that the lack of a built in flash poses a huge problem?

18. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I rarely use the flash so no.

19. sylvesterii

sylvesterii Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    No. Built in Flash is basically good for triggering off camera flash and that is about it.

I am really enjoying my E-P1. It fits the bill for everything I thought I would want it for. I suppose the built-in flash would help to trigger other flashes, and could be useful, but the price I paid for my E-P1 compared to what an E-P3 goes for, I could by several competent flashes to make up the difference. The only issue I have with it is the auto-focus performance.

20. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    A built-in flash can only be used to fire slave flash units if it does not use a pre-flash. It would need a "manual" flash mode.