1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the EM5 a big upgrade to the EPL-5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by imahawki, Sep 4, 2014.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I actually purchased my EPL-5 not that long ago but it was my first M43 camera. If I'd known how good it was going to be I'd probably have sprung for something in the OMD line. Coming from an APS-C and full frame DSLR background though I was admittedly a little skeptical so I thought the PEN line would be a better bet. Along with this question I guess is wonder when Olympus typically releases new bodies. Should I wait until the next generation of OMD cameras comes out at this point even if I DO decide that the OMD line is a worthy upgrade?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I started with an E-PL5 and quickly added an E-M5 when I realised that u43 could replace all my Canon gear. IMHO, the E-M5 is a fairly big improvement in handling, EVF (i.e. it has one) and IBIS. IQ of course will be very similar (although the E-PL5 suffers from shutter shock in some circumstances and the E-M5 seems much more robust in this respect).

The E-M5 is near its end of life now, so personally, I'd go for the E-M10 - unless weather sealing is high on your list. If you need something bigger &faster, then the E-M1 is the way to go. Its price is softening now, so maybe it's an option.

• Like Like x 1
  3. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. I think for me the EM10 would be less of an upgrade since it only has 3 axis IS so maybe the smart thing to do is continue to shoot, build my kit and wait and see what comes out when Olympus replaces the EM5.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    It is a big upgrade. My advice is not to wait for next best thing. We're not even sure the E-M5 will be updated. Choose between the 5 & 10 based on features and go for it.

5. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I guess for me the viewfinder is a big deal. I owned the EPL1, EP2, EPL5, EM5 and now the EM1. If you have the cash, I'd go for the EM1. I just received mine yesterday so temper my comments with the fact I"m in the honeymoon phase. Simply put, high iso rendering seems more natural....ie better to me. Maybe that's how I perceive it with no factual data to back it up. Finally, it is more configurable to change settings on the fly because there are more programmable buttons. The faster shutter 1/8000 will gain you a full stop. Basically the EM1 solved a lot of the minor issues I had with the EM5. Having said that, the EM5 is a great camera and because it is now not the latest thing,you can pick up a body for under $500 which makes it a steal. The EM1 is still pretty heavy in price.

6. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, I just got rid of my 7D and all my lenses. While the M43 lenses are all smaller, I'm hesitant to jump right back into one of the largest M43 bodies out there. I appreciate the feedback on the advantages of the OMD line and will definitely be upgrading at some point... I think I'll just wait a while. I literally bought the EPL-5 6 weeks ago.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Don't be put off by the 3-axis vs 5-axis difference. Most opinion is that it only makes a difference on macro shots. The E-M10 improves on the E-M5 by virtue of having more recent firmware features such first curtain eclectronic shutter, Mysets assignable to the mode dial(extremely useful IMHO) and Live Composite mode. It also has WiFi which some find useful (personally it doesn't do much for me). The grip on the 10 is also nicer and the mushiness and placement of buttons is an improvement on the 5. Really, unless you need weather sealing, the 10 is the smarter choice.

8. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Is there strong consensus on the IBIS not being a large difference? I've seen other comments to the contrary.

9. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    I've had the E-PL5 for a year and did the upgrade to the E-M10 a few months ago ... it's a huge upgrade. The EVF, better controls/dials, focus peaking, wifi, better stabilization, some improved settings and with the optional grip a much better handling. There is also big firmware update rumored for the E-M1 in the next two weeks. The chances that the E-M10 gets many of those features is pretty high since they share the same processor, but the E-M5 is an older generation.

I would go for the E-M10 or if you care about continuous autofocus and great old FT lenses the E-M1. I wouldn't expect a new E-M5 until early or mid 2015....if there will be one.