Is the e-pl5 noticeably worse than omd?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bwana, Jan 29, 2013.

1. bwana

bwana New to Mu-43

Apr 19, 2012
    Is the user experience significantly different? Is the stabilization significantly inferior?
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The OM-D has the best in-body IS system of any camera. The EPL5 IBIS is fine, but it doesn't stabilize the image through the VF on non-OIS lenses.
  3. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

Well, it really depends on your specific requirements. OMDs stabilization system is really great, and as we now speak, the best in whole range of all cameras. I can easily hold in hands times like 1/10s,take in mind, that moving subjects will still be blurred. And it is superb for video as well. In terms of IQ they will be same, so take a piece of paper and write down pros and cons, and check if is it really worth it. Omd has awesome IBIS, much more controls and "pro" accessories like battery grip (expensive one), native olympus wirelles ttl flash support, and EVF of course. Is it worth it? It depends...for me, it is worth much more, because I am in love with my gripped omd and 25mm f1.4 :)
  4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    As others have said, 5-axis seems to be a different ballpark. User experience is vet subjective, though, and you may want to try them (difficult, I know) or at least tell us what you're looking for in that department.
  5. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Biggest differences for me is the stabilisation and the viewfinder.
  6. archer43

archer43 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2013
    I played with my buddies omd, did some research online and made a choice. I went down to the camera store to buy the epl-5. It was just after christmas and there was the $100 discount. I picked it up and ich. Plastic feeling, the lcd is horrible compared to the old on the omd. I left sad, and then two days later picked up the omd. Sure same image quality, but there's something to be said about the ascetic form of a high quality camera. Nothing wrong with the camera, I just like... no love the feel of my omd.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    What's your take on the E-P3 and E-PL3 stabilization :confused:
  8. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm quite impressed by the E-PL5's image quality. I've been a steady user of high-end Canon gear for a long time (D60 to 5D to 1D3 to 1d4 to 5D3, with an assortment of L lenses), and I'm shocked at how well this little camera and two lenses (pan 20 and Oly 75) performed on a recent trip. I posted some pics straight out of the camera under another thread, but here are a few after processing raw files.

As an aside, the handling is a bit annoying. I shoot in full manual mode, so I wish I could control each of shutter speed and aperture with different controls.

I realized that I rarely bring my heavy duty Canon gear when I travel, so I bought the Oly thinking it would be good enough to tote around. I'm wrong, I think. It's just simply good enough period.

So, I'm thinking of selling all of my Canon gear at this point and buying the OMD and share the same set of high quality lenses between the two of them. E-PL5 for travel and convenience, and the OMD for more serious photography. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If the handling was your only gripe with the E-PL5, then you're definitely a candidate for the OM-D! From the Canon gear I've used, I doubt you'll even find that any of your Canon bodies have as comprehensive controls as the OM-D does, really.
  10. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. My feeling is that, like all things in life, choosing the epl5 has trade-offs, just like choosing the OMD does. For me, having something extremely portable that is still high quality is a priority. The epl5 fits the bill for me.

My next decision is whether to keep two completely different systems or to merge into one system. I love my Canon gear and it has produced some incredible photos. I'm an amateur, but I know my pics are pro quality - at least technically, if not necessarily true from a composition and ideal lighting perspective.

So, I need to investigate the OMD a bit before making the leap. I have 4 kids who play sports, and I'm reluctant to give up my Canon's fast AF for moving subjects until I understand the omd's capabilities in this regard. I'll also look at the Panny slr-like body as well.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the OMD will have better controls than my Canon bodies, but my Canon 1d4 is about perfect to me, with my 5d3 lagging only a little bit behind that. I haven't handled the OMD yet, so I can't compare. Did you move from to the OMD from a Canon 1D body?

Anyway, I'm sure Nikon users will say their bodies have perfect handling too, because we're all victims of biases based on what we're used to. But, I can honestly say that the 1D bodies give this user control over everything I might want in an extremely accessible way. And I'm so used to being able to adjust settings without looking at the camera when using my Canon bodies, that the "switching costs" of moving to the OMD is a consideration. As they say, you can't an old dog new tricks. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    All the largish high-end bodies typically handle well IMO, they've got lots of room for lots of dedicated controls. I think my D300 is great, handling wise. But it is bigger and heavier than the mFT gear, and I typically only use it these days for things where I want to use a lens that I don't have in mFT mount. Or where I want to use it when the weather is bad, because the 12-50 is the only weatherproof lens I have for mFT. Otherwise I pretty much use the E-M5, or if I want a shirt-pocket sized take-along, the E-PL5 with a small lens.

So despite the great controls on large pro/prosumer DSLRs, I really like the E-M5 and E-PL5. There's not enough real-estate to put too many more controls on, but then this makes the bodies small, so that's the tradeoff. The onscreen control panels help a lot. The E-PL5 does pretty well, it handles like an E-PL2 (the closest other thing to it that I've personally used) which wasn't too bad. If you want to stay in manual most of the time, I think the E-M5 is easier at that point. Since I use the PAS modes mostly on my E-PL5, I'm ok with it, but setting up a shot in M really isn't THAT big of hassle. But if you're shooting quickly and changing settings frequently in M, the E-M5 seems less fiddly to me.
  12. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    I have both an E-M5 and an E-PL5. They serve different purposes. The E-M5 has better controls, better EVF built in, etc. The E-PL5's IQ is nearly as good, its flip screen is more flexible, and it's so "pocketable" with my Lumix G 14-42 pancake zoom that I don't need lower-IQ P&S cameras any more. With my tiny 15mm Oly lenscap lens on the E-PL5, I can even carry it in a shirt pocket. So it's the E-M5 when I can carry a gadget bag and need more than one lens, E-PL5 as my "pocket pal" when I want quality photos without carrying any extra gear, and when my smartphone's camera isn't good enough.
  13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The current Olympus and Panasonic bodies have very fast AF when used in AF-S, manually selected focus point. If you can anticipate the action, and keep the AF sensor area on the subject, you'll generally get in focus pictures. More random motion, where you have to depend on AF-C and camera tracking, will much less successful. The EVF presents its own challenges, because the refresh rate may not be able to keep up with the action.

FWIW, I keep some of my Nikon gear for this type of subject and also when I need on camera flash. (The TTL flash metering of the Olympus cameras has a distinct time delay, that for me, is unacceptable for people photography.)
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    OMD controls are about the best I've used (besides pocket cams, I've also shot XPro 1, Nikon and Canon apsc dslrs and canikon full frame. Th d700 came closest to the OMD), excepting that its a bit small. But its well thought out. The EPL5 is just a completly different camera. If you need FULL and EASY control, the OMD is better, but the EPL5 is quite nice, and you can adjust EV and one other parameter (like aperture in A mode). If that works for you, and tou really want compact, the EPL5 is sweet. IBIS is what it is. The OMD is the best in the world. I've only had my EPL5 for about a week, so I'm not sure if the IBIS is as good as the EP3, which was solid, or more like the EPM1, which created more issues than it solved.
  15. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    The EPL5 (and the EPM2 for that matter) have the Olympus wireless flash capability.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Bravin Neff
    What are you trying to do? I have my EM5 setup to operate just like higher Nikon bodies: shutter with thumb, aperture with finger.
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe that comment was regarding his E-PL5, not the E-M5... which is exactly why the E-M5 would answer that complaint. :)

Yes, this is exactly what I meant about the OM-D controls as well. It's not always about having all the real-estate to add more buttons in, it's about having what you really need in the right place. All your most important controls are at your fingertips with the OM-D, although that is an admittedly cramped space.

Which is exactly why I have more Pen Minis than any other camera body. :) In fact, when the Mini first came out I felt it was just what I had envisioned from the system to begin with. The OM-D on the other hand, was exactly what I had always wanted to see in an E-System DSLR, lol. In fact, back in the day I had always said that I wanted an E-510 sized body with E-3 weather sealing, viewfinder, and dual finger/thumb control dials. Now we have all that in an even smaller body than could be imagined at the time.

Each body type has a different purpose, but the new Mini and Lites pack the most versatility and capability into the smallest body I've ever found yet in the digital era (there are others similar in size which are dearly lacking in various fields of capability). They basically do as much as any other digital camera body can do, even if some things take an extra step or two to get at.

When I said you would be a prime candidate for the OM-D, I meant as an addition to your E-PL5 and not to replace it. :)
  18. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Ugh, the temptation to buy gear is painful! Yes, I'm seriously thinking of going all-in with M43. :)
  19. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Just last night, I switched to the opposite. Shutter on finger, as I'll usually select an aperture and stay with it for a while. It allows me to maintain a firm grip on the camera by not releasing the thumb to turn a wheel.
  20. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Regarding how you turn the knobs, have you tried turning both wheels with your index finger instead of thumb for the back, index for the front? It's a little confusing at first, because it "feels" like they're going in opposite direction, but you get used to it. I find this allows me to maintain a much more stable grip over using seperate fingers for each knob. The textured top of the rear dial make it easy to do so.