1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the E-PL5 a tweaked OMD sensor?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by arad85, Oct 15, 2012.

1. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Initial reaction:

1. Heyyyyy, I paid more for this OM-D than the E-PL5! How come it's inferior?!
    2. Hmmm, I wonder if the improvement is just in its noise reduction algorithm? So it's a possible upgrade to future EM-5 firmware update.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

4. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    My initial reaction is that it's hardware as the raw files are significantly better. I guess we'll have to wait for DxO to pass judgement....

5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Now hold on, it's the nature of the game that in terms of IQ "the best" only stays the best for a few months - then something "better" comes along. It doesn't mean that the E-PL5 is an overall better or more complete complete camera and it doesn't mean that the E-M5 has suddenly become a bad performer. In fact they are totally different cameras and should be judged according to which design, feature set and price is most appropriate rather than on relatively small differences in sensor performance.

• Like Like x 3
  6. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    +1 EV dynamic range (11EV -> 12EV), held level to ISO 3200 is not a relatively small difference (assuming they know what they are doing when measuring).

7. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden
    This is standard Olympus procedure. The newest body has the best sensor. They have always done this and it is something I definitely applaud.

8. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Even if the measurements are correct, I'll take the E-M5 any day of the week.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm pretty sure Olympus didn't just magically discover an extra stop of dynamic range in six months.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting article, but I think it is a long shot that there are any improvements/changes from a sensor perspective. I am willing to bet that we are going to see 2-3 years of PENs with the same new Sony sensor.

I could see where there could be more NR applied to raw files, though, or changes to the JPEG engine, since these PENs are presumably targeted to a different demographic than the OM-D.

• Like Like x 2
  11. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Lots of ifs and buts, but IF they have improved the sensor performance AND the Panasonic GH3 uses it, it will make the GH3 a very interesting camera.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The notion that a base ISO, JPEG and RAW files have identical dynamic range on the E-M5 makes me suspect that whatever they're actually measuring, it isn't dynamic range. Ditto the idea that there is 10EV DR at ISO 3200...

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, hence the comment I made later:

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wonder if the E-PM2 has the same improvements as the E-PL5? If so, then that would be a killer deal!

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I'll add some more mystery here. Take a lookee at the website below & note that the "numbers" for the OM-D & E-PL5 sensors do not match up 100% across the board :biggrin:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 vs. Olympus PEN E-PL5

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yeah...I'm not going to assume they knew what they were doing...the results would stretch the imagination quite a bit over this time frame and given the different price points and target markets. :redface:

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd be very surprised if they're not identical. There's only $100 price difference after all...

18. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Just musing....It would be nice to buy two of these and not worry about changing lenses. I still favor the OM-d though because its weather sealed. Looks like the E-pl5's mic holes are right there on top of the camera - not good. If image quality is identical, i don't consider an extra $300 bad for these extras:

IBIS
    weather sealed
    EVF
    High res OLED screen
    mic input

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I wouldn't really worry too much about it. Just wait for the OM-D E-M6 and get that along with any improvements made since if you like the OM-D. If you prefer the little Pen, then just get the E-PL5 or E-PM2 now and be confident that you've got a damn fine camera. Either way you can't lose. All the cameras just keep getting better and better (and as a result, the older ones get cheaper and cheaper - meaning something for everyone).

• Like Like x 2
  20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    OM-D could be $500 bucks and I still wouldn't purchase it.
    Just not my preferred form factor for this size sensor.....:smile: