1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is "the Cloud" a reality?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by tkbslc, Mar 14, 2016.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been kind of thinking that I would really like to have my images in "the Cloud". Meaning, they are on the web and I can easily edit, view or share them from any device I wish. My main, and primary copy of the photos (and videos) would be there, instead of on my main PC. There are a lot of services promising cloud storage and even specifically for photos (Google Photos and Amazon as examples), but what does that really get me? The web-based editors are rudimentary and generally lack RAW support. How do you work local with web-based storage, and have it save back to the cloud with any kind of decent performance? How do you keep it all in sync? Is the cloud hype we get from marketing not a reality yet?

I'm already paying for web backup service, so even if I had to pay for a cloud service that would be somewhat seamless, I'd be all over it.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Seems to me that network speeds (at least here in the UK) preclude the use of cloud storage for anything other than slow backup purposes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Same here. Too slow for anything but email and web browsing. NAS for me.

4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I would agree, though my son just got 1Gb from Talk Talk and he's getting 850mbit download and 920mbit upload! That's fast enough to use as long as the server at the other end can do likewise.

For me, the paltry 5mbit upload still makes internet backups painful, so I have dual NAS systems.

5. tkbslc

Depends on how it is being used. 10-20Mbit is plenty for a few images at a time. You would work out of RAM once opened, regardless.

Flickr, etc, run pretty fast for photo viewing, even on low bandwidth.

6. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Adobe has a cloud storage option. If you are already using Adobe editing tools on your PC, it may be attractive.

Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ

7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Amazon Cloud Storage is "free" with Amazon Prime and has "Unlimited" photo storage. I have not tested this, but it's a slow way to upload. Their bandwidth is considerably less than my outgoing line (I've got 50Mbits down and 1 up, upload is nowhere near saturation with Amazon Cloud so they're limiting it).

In theory, I could use this for slow backups, but at over 1TB of data in my photo collection, that would take Some Time.

8. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Maybe you should look at a NAS with cloud capability and associated apps for your devices (iOD, Android, etc). That would give you the ability to access it from anywhere, and give you faster performance when at home. You can even build your own with the free OwnCloud software.

Cloud = "someone else's computer". Putting your primary storage there seems to be a recipe for future frustration - you have no control over service outages, or even whether the provider will be there tomorrow. Sure you may well have backups elsewhere, but then you have to change to using those and figure out how to sync them again afterwards, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    ... wait till you need to migrate that data off that "virtual server" onto another one. You can quickly build up some gigabytes of data. Server to Server channels are either slow or costly for bandwidth ... assuming that there is even an API to bulk pull down your stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I think snapfish lost data for a photographer I know a few years ago. No way this should happen but it did. so even the cloud is not foolproof for backup

11. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    This ^

Or that a particular cloud service suddenly has a problem and you loose all your precious data. Or like some that suddenly decide to stop their service: you cannot complain because it was free.

12. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Some colleagues and I discussed the whole cloud thing earlier, and one of the fellows just dropped the statement "Remember, the cloud is just someone else's computer", which may be worth some pondering. Personally, I am trying to get to grasps with my entire digital photo set-up, including reworking the entire file structure but are not negative to a cloud structure as a tertiary BU solution as well as running a stand-alone machine for in house BU. :)

13. MJL

MJL Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2016
    Katikati, New Zealand
    Marinus
    If you decide to use the cloud then you'll have to encrypt and some cloud services do not allow encrypted data. And if it is not encrypted do you want someone to get into your most private stuff?

14. tkbslc

I actually manage a datacenter, so I know how it works. That's actually what I want! I want my photos on a server that is accessible from any of my devices. Well that part is easy, what I need is an interface and mechanism that lets me store them there and edit, upload and share them from whatever device I want. That works well currently for office documents and email, but for all the marketing I'm having a tough time seeing how it would work for a large photo collection with quality editing. If I just had smartphone photos, I'd use google photos (or icloud).

15. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Uploading to "cloud" storage would take forever here. Trying to pull a backup back down boggles my mind. I have several HD's as backups that are directly connected to my computer and I use syncback.. I recently got a WD MyCloud NAS box which I can leave hooked up while I'm away and access my stuff from anywhere without leaving a computer on. Kinda like dropbox but with tons of storage and free. Still limited by my connection but works for a few photos.

16. tkbslc

I already do cloud backup. I calculate about 2-3 days to pull down a TB (I can download at 5MB/s) . Worst case, my provider (idrive) offers a service to ship a HDD with my most recent backup on it. Which I would probably do, since I think most major ISP flag you as an abuser if you hit 400MB in a month of downloads. I actually "uploaded" my initial data set via their HDD shipping service, which was nice. Now all I have to do is upload new and changed files automatically with their software.

All my images are already in the cloud at idrive, it's just that I need a client to pull them out and browse them, so it's not seamless with editors and apps on other devices. I don't mind paying for a "real" service, I just am not seeing how to make it work for me other than backup.

17. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I like you people. You're even more paranoid than I am. :)

I use a synology NAS at home with DS Cloud for syncing.

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Most home data plans are asymmetrical, with much faster download speeds (for media consumption) than upload speeds. Until that is addressed, uploading hundreds of photos to the cloud will continue to be arduous at best.

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    the question is not "am I paranoid" it needs to be "am I paranoid enough?"

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I upload everything to Flickr and OneDrive, as well as have it on my hard drive. Flickr is great (despite now charging for their Uploader service), 1TB free at full res (as long as the originals are 16mp or less), available everywhere, and easily shareable. I think you are at far more risk storing everything exclusively locally, just upload overnight if you have a lot of photos to store.