1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is the black paint flaking of your E-M5..?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Review from here....
    Amazon.co.uk: Viari's review of Olympus OM-D EM-5 Micro Four Thirds Interc...

NOT a happy little bunny.

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Have you used other Oly m4/3? If so, how do they compare, in your opinion?

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    There are some valid criticisms in that piece, but in the end it loses all credibility when making statements like what I've bolded. Just comes off as a Canon worshipper who had almost no chance of accepting the E-M5.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Mad Dogs and Englishmen

5. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Hey, you can't please everyone, and certain people are impossible to please no matter what.

6. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    This review is simply laughable... I almost literally laughed at every paragraph. Maybe it was the 7d designer who wrote it... Some comments on this review are more informative than the review itself.

"If you use your left eye on the EVF, you literally have to contort your face to use the camera" -- Um, duh! And if you must hold the grip with your left hand it's not gonna perfect either. Maybe that's why he thinks "the textured surface has very little grip"

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I don't think the review is the OP's view - he's just quoting an Amazon review for discussion.

The review makes so many crazy statements that it's hard to believe the "reviewer" actually used the camera. :rolleyes:

8. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    The only two criticisms I am inclined to believe completely are horrible ergonomics (the E-M5 is styled after a "retro" 70s film SLR that was built before the word "ergonomics" was invented) and the fact that black paint on the various Olympus m4/3 bodies isn't as durable as the powdercoat on "rugged" cameras like the E-1, E-3, and E-5. The black finish on my E-P3 has worn off in some places on the bottom from where my tripod plate makes contact with the camera ... and my E-P3 is the only camera I own that has done that from a tripod plate. :(

9. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Dave in Wales seems intent on putting everyone off this camera.
    I would advise ignoring all such posts.
    He didn,t like the camera and wants no one else too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's interesting that his review has generated four pages of comments refuting his assertions.

11. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Now I get what that means:biggrin:

12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Paint flakes coming off ? No way and out of question unless you don't know how to handle the camera. My EPL2 is 18 months old and been handles fairly roughly and I can't see any paint coming off , so I don't think OMD will have any issues . Now don't get me wrong , the real issues seems to be with people . If paint is coming off then talk to Olympus , show us the pics . People are bent upon to tarnish the reputation of this beautiful machine . When you can't find fault with its IQ and performance then start blaming anything for the sake of blaming .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    My E-M5 looks great. I even scraped off a little bit of paint (but still black underneath the scrape) when I shifted it trying to take off a lens one handed while it was sitting on a rough tile counter. Was worried it might flake from that part, but has been perfectly fine.

14. Is this thread meant to be a genuine question? A public service announcement? Something else, perhaps?

15. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I have had my Black OM-D E-M5 since May 9th and had no peeling. I carry it in my pocket with no protection. Also, I have no scratches on the LCD, which also is not protected.

16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Moderators, please move this post to the TROLL FORUM.

17. TDP

TDP Guest

"The ergonomics are not for me"
    "The menus are confusing to me"
    "The paint will come off over time"
    "The lens(es) are sharp in the center and get soft on the edges"

That can be said about any camera/lens ever made, depending on the opinion of the user doing the speaking.

These days true "crap" is rarely produced by any major manufacturer, and if there is some sort of quality slip-up it is quickly corrected.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I deleted the bulk of the copy/pasted review in accordance with our site rules/TOS (you did not specify having obtained permission by the reviewer to re-publish his/her review here).

All: There's a fine line between freedom to express negative thoughts about a bit of gear (allowed, sometimes helpful) and going around repeatedly slamming a bit of gear (inflammatory, unhelpful, not allowed). Please understand that this distinction can be a difficult one to make, and we mods are on the scene and doing our best in accordance with our site TOS.

• Like Like x 2
  19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is a very old and silly review from a questionable source and it has already been posted here and elsewhere and discussed.

No paint chips on my black E-M5 yet, but I did have wear on my black E-P3 and paint chips on the hotshoe. What was weird, is that it still took great images.

• Like Like x 3
  20. krysdafur

krysdafur Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2011
    SoCal
    I have paint coming off mine. It's not flaking off, more like rubbing off. Its on the edge right under the front dial where I usually rest my finger. I just noticed it the other day when cleaning my camera.