Is the 4/3 camera format dead?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Brian style, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    All I ever see news, excitement, anticipation, new camera and lens wise are m4/3. Are the 4/3 cameras fated for extinction?

Seems like m4/3 is where the money and market is for Oly and Panasonic. Will 4/3rds even be around in 3 yrs? (aside from those that are already in it)
  2. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Unless Olympus makes a proper adapter for m4/3 with PDAF, then yeah it won't last the next few years you would've thought. I don't see a 4/3 only body being produced at any rate.
  3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Dead. Panasonic have been out of it for years. Olympus may release one more half-baked body which I think was promised some time ago but would be a wasted investment and only to appease those with a stake in FT. No new customers likely.

They should put money into porting over some of the great lenses to MFT like the 35-100 f/2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    DSLRs are really dying out as a breed, sadly. Almost like how single lens reflex cameras are. They'll still be around, but one of the few things that really keep it around is the investment owners have in any system, really.

There are really only a few advantages to grabbing a DSLR now instead of a mirrorless, and once things like PDAF like autofocus, focus enhancement, and higher resolution displays (as well as more professional bodies...) are addressed, the DSLR will continue to stick around. Sadly though, Olympus 4/3 format seems to be on its way out within the next couple of years.
  5. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    I agree completely. In fact if one believes the Spanish dSLR Magazine, which had it from the horse's mouth, the E-7 project has been superseded by the Pro OM-D with adapter.

It makes no sense at all to spend well above 1000 $ without either having access either to primes or to Oly's zooms.

Having another reflex camera next to the OM-D for the few who four years later refuse to deal with EVF is economic suicide.

Some people are so entrenched in their old habits, that they will resist any change. It reminds me of earlier times when people were not afraid of claiming that film was superior to digital. Meanwhile digital carried on and we now have 'always with you' cameras with more or less the IQ of a FF 135 camera.
  6. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    4/3 cams life are hanging on a thread . . .
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    As much as I love my E-M5, the DSLR is not going anywhere. PDAF focusing, the OVF, a huge lens line-up are major pluses for DSLRs. Mirrorless still has a long way to catch up.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympus 4/3 I would have to say is almost dead....

Neither the advantages of compact size nor the advantages of a larger sensor.
  9. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    PDAF is being implemented on the sensor itself (Sony), there are hybrid viewfinders (Fuji), adapters for lens compatibility (Canon, Sony, etc..) Which in the grand scheme of things are all technologies that can eliminate the archaic mirror box. Just because its mirror less doesn't mean it cant have all the features of a DSLR down the road. A company just needs to take the leap of faith.

Though at this point I'm betting on Sony for the transition from DSLR to mirror less given their innovative track record (DSLT, NEX, RX1, Etc..)
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    On a more positive note,
    If it weren't for Four Thirds, we'd never have Micro Four Thirds :wink: :smile:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Unfortunately, none of the current systems (Sony, Nikon, Canon) really work very well. Note that Sony still includes the separate PDAF array in their A99.

Which don't provide AF or AE

Some day, but not today. And probably not real soon.
  12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I loved the AF on my J1 (very good IMHO) :wink: :smile:

Just didn't like the lack of lenses.....
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I dont't think the fate of DSLRs is really the issue for 4/3. DSLRs will go cheerfully forward with APS-C and FF sensors. The problem for 4/3 is that only Olympus still supports it at all, and they are clearly moving in a different direction.

BTW, I think DSLRs have a lot of life left. There's a really hardcore following that will just dig in once the percentage drops to a certain point.
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The mirror box isn't going anywhere. The other day I had to stick my eye to the viewfinder on my DSLR and I literally sat for over an hour to get the shot. No way I would ever do that with an EVF. There's still merit in having an OVF in terms of battery preservation and getting "wysiwyg" visual information. To refer to the mirror box as "archaic" is just misleading. There is no mirrorless camera that can even match a D4, D800, 1DX class camera in absolute performance.

I'll do the full switch to mirrorless when I get a 10mp EVF, 2000 shots off of one battery and an AF system that matches my D3 and D800's 51 point AF system.

In all honesty, after getting a taste of Olympus lens quality and image processing, I'd love to try a modern Olympus 4/3rds camera with the new 16mp sensor. I could only imagine how sweet that would be!
  15. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    My e-5 still takes fabulous photos...and that is all that matters to me. Is the format dead, perhaps but not until I sell it off or the body dies.
  16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Only thing dead is this horse we're flogging. ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But its fun to flog a dead horse.....
  19. IcemanYVR

IcemanYVR Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I would venture that 4/3 and APS-C type DSLR's are a dying breed. The m43 cameras are replacing the Digital Rebels of this world, and with the crazy price drops in FX cameras, the advanced amateurs will be turning to Full Frame if they haven't decided to go m43.

Traditional compacts are going by the wayside as most are satisfied with their camera phones these days. m43 cameras are often referred to as 3rd generation cameras, and there's a reason... I'm pretty sure that in a few years, they (or mirrorless) will be the dominant species.
  20. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    What I find funny from those who defend 4/3 mirrors, is that people have stopped buying them almost 5 yrs. ago.

What did they do in all this time? Dream? :)