Is that a real 55mm F/1.0 lens with original MicroFourThirds mount?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bullfrog, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Just seen this over on 4/3 rumours.

Ebay link.

2. David Stringer

David Stringer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2010
    Horsham, West Sussex
    It may be real but the sample picture is terrible!

3. Bullfrog

Certainly a turd. Interesting that someone's retooled something for a :43: mount though.

4. spark

spark Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Toronto
    The sample image looks no better than a cell phone camera or webcam!!

5. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Hmmmm.... but I could "retool" a coke bottle for m4/3rds and I'm not sure it'd deserve any more interest ;-)

To the seller's credit, they're being perfectly honest about the abyssimal quality, so bravo to them for that.

6. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    garbage , but it shows that the market is waiting for a decent mf prime with good speed

lets hope a non vignetting design [ the samples of that lens on gf1s etc that ive seen on flickr do certainly vignette] is made eventually

7. Bullfrog

I like this bit "image really soft, when you step down after F/2.8 soft effect will gone, but when you use small aperture, corner image looks blur."

Corner image looks blurred? The corners of this seem to start at the intersection of the diagonals :smile:

As cosinaphile says it does prove a market waiting.

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    There seems to be a spate of these "new arrivals pending" recently so until I see them and their results in the flesh or on this site, I will assume they are not worth trying to follow up on.

I do expect we will see a lot more copycat lenses that resemble high end manual focus lenses suitable for micro 4/3rds as it is becoming an increasingly popular format and lens prices are more affordable than many top end Canikons.

9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I have a 42mm F0.75 at work. A junk lens. These were made for CRT's and X-Ray machines. The back-focus is very small.

NOW: the lens I want to try to adapt is the Wollensak 51/1.5 made for a special application camera, more like 70mm format. The diameter of the rear optic is too big for a Leica Thread Mount or S-Mount. But it looks SO sharp.

10. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    According to the description, it's a Kowa lens. Presumably it is/was C-mount. Well, any of various technicians can attach a micro 4/3 mount to such a lens.

I've no idea how good it is, but here is a particularly cheap, sorry, I mean a particularly inexpensive "one-inch" 25mm f/1.4 "Avenir" C-mount lens. I can't immediately find it on its maker's website. (The maker is now part of Samyang, but previously made the "Kobalux" brand LTM lenses.)

11. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Kowa also made a lot of Copy lenses, O-Scope lenses, and the such. The back-focus is usually small. I've got a couple of lenses like this, very fast. I have one in the basement that I should check, another F1.0 lens.

12. kai.e.g.

kai.e.g. Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

I have one of those Kobalux lenses - a 28mm in leica screw mount. Not a bad lens, really. I'll try & take some shots with it mounted on the E-P1 during the course of the "Picture A Day" adventure... they crop up on eBay often enough. They also made a 21mm version, which tends to sell for quite a bit more.