1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

IS switched off by default when sequential shooting is selected on E-M10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MadMarco, Nov 14, 2014.

1. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Hi All,

I've just been going through the menus on my E-M10 trying to figure out why IS doesn't seem to do anything much.

I tend to leave the camera in Sequential Low Speed (Shooting Menu 2, Sequential Mode - Sequential L) as one of my stock go-to settings, so 90% of this time it's set this way. It seems by default that the IS is switched off when in sequential mode (Menu Settings C
    Sequential + IS Off - On), I don't remember ever changing this setting. Changing it from On to Off enables IS in sequential and so far seems to have a very positive effect on the images at low shutter speed. The sample shots below were shot indoors in low light ISO3200, 1/13s with the Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150 @150mm to make things difficult.

Sequential + IS Off - On
    PB140002_DxO.

Sequential + IS Off - Off
    PB140005_DxO.

This seems like a very odd setting to have by default; has anyone else noticed this setting and if it is indeed the default, any ideas why it is set that way?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It was noticed in one of the very first good reviews of the E-M5 : yeah, crazy but solveable, you solved it.

The "factory defaults" can be bizarre from the point of view of someone actually using the things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Thanks for confirming this, I thought that I was going mad.

It's a bit of a peculiar default setting, I wonder why it is set that way?

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Maybe it had an effect on max frame rate?

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The logic is that people doing continuous shooting use high shutter speeds, so they don't need IS. Having IS on also slows the max frame rate at high speed sequential.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Makes sense, although I often use sequential and shoot in batches of 3 when photographing at low shutter speeds to increase the chances of having a keeper.

P.S. I'm now rather impressed with the abilities of the 3-axis IS on the E-M10. Getting a high proportion of steady pictures at 1/13s with a 300mm equivalent hand-held is very nice.

7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The e-m1 has the same setting, but it was fixed in firmware 2.0 to be more understandable.

Barry

8. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I almost always am shooting sequential at low speed set to 4FPS on my EM1, unless I specifically want a higher fps, I have my IS set so its on during sequential.. this does pose a problem when I am shooting birds, which is what I do most often.. if I want to shoot a bird that is perched I want IS, however one in flight I do not want IS on, I wish there was a way to set it so IS was only on for the first shot after half press in sequential so I wouldn't have to have IS on on panning shots without having to umbel around and turn it off.. yet for the birds perched I can use it for a single shot and just only let it fore once, them release shutter again..

BIF most times dont give you any time at all to focus yet alone turn off IS, I do use auto IS, but I still think shots of BIF are better with IS off even at slower shutter speeds.. I haven't checked all the new features in version 2 yet, will have to go look through and see if I can find any, I dont think they even had a setting for a button to turn IS off and on quickly, or to switch shooting modes.. or maybe one of the lever settings

9. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Now I am really confused, I see they changed IS setting in EM1 ver 2, but I can still see and hear IS working whether I have it on or off in sequential IS in low speed, and even after first shutter click without releasing shutter button, and no button setting for IS on and off, I now will look and see if that setting gets saved in a my set, then at least I can switch to a my set quickly and just have it set to IS off everywhere.. funny with all the things we can set I still seem to find more I want and less use of those they do have available.. I still do not understand why having camera set to lever 5 mode that a button for MF is no longer available

10. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    It works very sensibly. At the default setting the IS is on when you half press, helping you find the bird in the viewfinder. Then when you take the high speed sequence it goes off so you get the best speed.

I don't know why you use low speed when you can have high speed and increase your chances of a good result.

11. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim

Oh that is only for high speed sequential? I thought it was for all sequential shooting, I dont use high speed because it seems to get out of control on still shots sometimes, but I suppose I can just change the high speed fps to less than 10.
    also since CAF is so bad I shoot saf/mf so need time between shots for focus

12. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I use multiple very short bursts, but at full speed. If your finger is under control you can take just three frames in a burst, and a moment later take another burst.

Like you I use SAF+MF. But I don't allow any time between shots for focus, instead I work on the basis of random movement. At these very high frame rates there is a probability of getting the perfect focus on frame 1 or 2 or 3. I find the second frame is often the sharpest.Try it.

Here are a couple of examples, both with the 75-300 set to 300mm, handheld. 1/1000.

438%20BRIXHAM%20Turnstone.JPG

Herring2.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    OK I guess what was confusing me was I hear IS working in either low or high speed, with IS off in menu, so apparently it is active for the first shot even with it set to off in menu for sequentially shooting, so that is what is important to me.. I want to be able to just quickly go from a still subject to a moving without having to change anything, although for BIF I pretty much have switched to a canon when it is my main purpose of what I am going for. its C/AF actually works :)

14. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I had IS turned on during sequential but I had real trouble getting sharp shots so I turned it off, I assume my panning upset it. Just have to be careful with my shutter speeds