1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Steve Huff dropping hints about a new E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Benzy, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Steve Huff posted tonight a notice of three pending reviews before year's end - the Sony Rx1ii, the Leica SL and a still "un-announced camera before the year’s end as well. Hmmmmmmm ;)"

He's also hinted at Olympus having something up their sleeve. Specifically, concluding the Gx8 review with the following:

"Is it enough for [The GX8] to overtake Olympus? Probably not as I have a feeling Olympus is ready to drop a big bomb on any thunder the GX8 may have taken from them. Soon. Just a hunch. :)"

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I doubt it's a new Olympus body. Sony and Leica are his main beneficiaries.

3. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Well, he is pretty hot on Olympus gear...the E-M1 is one of his favorites. And he made it a point to say the Rx1ii will be the last Sony review of the year. So it's another Leica, Fuji or Olympus by my estimation.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The rumours for a new PEN with a possible built in EVF (& new sensor) could be on the cards, but I'm not sure when that announcement was expected though as it was rumoured to come early next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Olympus did say they could rush out the EM1 successor if they felt they needed to compete. Maybe a prototype? Not a typical thing to do but times they are a-changin'. (we need a folk singer emoji)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Vandy

Vandy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2015
    VA
    Marc
    You know he did say this Oct. 5 . . .

"I expect the next pro Olympus, whatever it is called (E-M1 II perhaps) will have this feature as well and I also feel it is close to being time for a new E-M1 II, my spider senses are feeling it. ;)" - Steve Huff

This was in response to a focus bracketing subject.

7. Ross the fiddler

I can't see that happening at all with the coming FW 4.0 to all the E-M1's as that would be to breath new life into the present model (to match the features in the other OM-D Mk II models) for another year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The FW update is certainly not a sign of urgency on their part. OTOH, if the new body is nice enough it may not matter all that much. The new FW features are really nice but won't change the minds of many with money to spend if, for example, there's a new sensor.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I suspect the only potentially new sensor that the E-M1ii is likely to get is the Sony 18Mp non-BSI one that some here have linked to. I don't see that offering much above and beyond what we have today (as witnessed by the marginal/non-existent improvement with the GX8).

On the other hand, a hand-holdable hi-res mode would be a big deal for anyone who does landscape, architecture, product or macro work. I'm personally ready for a decent hike in sensor performance and I think sensor-shift is the more likely route given current sensor tech. If Oly launched the E-M1ii tomorrow and it delivered that, I'd probably do a pre-order - for the first time in my life!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Olympus owns many of the patents for stacked sensor designs, Sony started producing their first stacked sensor designs earlier this year (some with a global shutter) however they're mostly the size of a grain of sand (still managing 20mp at this size). If they're able to scale up the sensor to 4/3 size it would be very interesting indeed.

I don't believe they currently make an 18mp 4/3 sized sensor, the highest that I'm aware of is the IMX269 which is not a backside illuminated sensor.

11. Ross the fiddler

The info I have on that 20MP sensor is this.
    Product IMX269, Resolution 20M, Image Size [Type] 4/3rds, Pixel Size V = H [um] 3.3, Max Frame Rate [frame/s] @All pixels 27, I/F sub LVDS 12ch, Chroma RGB, Application DSLR, Technology Exmor

12. Ray Tracer

Ray Tracer New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2015
    Undoubtedly an new E-M1 is in preparation, but releasing it in 2015 would mean a considerable acceleration in Oly's update cycle- major updates of two OM-D models in the same year. Three models and a three-year update cycle makes much more sense, and is probably sustainable. E-M1 is the least 'gifty' of Oly's cameras, so it would benefit least from being released in the run-up to Christmas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    I think internally Olympus is definitely playing wait and see in regards to what APSC models are released by Sony and Fuji. Obviously all major players in the mirrorless game want to capitalize with new flagship products before Nikon and Canon enter the mirrorless segment with more serious offerings. I am sure many of the EM1 successor's features are close to final but committing to a more advanced sensor will probably mean launching months after Sony and Fuji. Steve is probably referring to some of the improvements which have already been hinted at by earlier reports. Personally I hope Olympus waits for a better sensor and instead focuses on augmenting the EM1 with more firmware and releasing a set of fast primes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    They have updated the E-M10 and the E-M5 this year, so there is no three-year update cycle already...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For the consumer bodies, it's always been flexible. But for the pro models (E-1, E-3, E-5, E-M1), it's never been much less than 3 years between updates, even for very minor updates like the E-3 to E-5.

16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It doesn't matter what has been. The market is changing rapidly and a minor player (statistically) like Olympus may have to be more aggressive to remain competitive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ross the fiddler

I think the impressive FW 4.0 for the E-M1 coming very soon is fairly competitive for now & is good enough to stave off a release for a new model for a while but we shall see if the E-M1 Mk II will come before the Photokina period or not. I hope that marketing for that can flow onto the market & not be something present owner users only know about. It's retail outlets that only advertise it as FW 1.0 that would let down the marketability so hopefully the marketing can be ramped up for this new 4.0 FW.

18. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Ya I think Okympus could really cause a splash if decide to launch a set of fast prime which are weather sealed. Another firmware update and an attractive promotional bundle with the EM1 would let them really once again being new life to their flagship offering. The next OMD will have a huge impact on people's perception of the format as a whole so releasing something that doesn't blow existing users and potential new users doesn't seem like an option.

19. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Must be tough for the little guys like Oly. You can walk through Best Buy and not notice them. You can go to one of the few remaining camera stores and not see them because they don't carry them. FW 4.0 is a big deal to us, but for a newby entering the dslr market, it's invisible. At least Pany has reasonably priced 4K video to get some attention. Hoping the mk2 does some great, headline catching things.

20. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    While I am not going anywhere, and love my setup, Oly will loose many sales due to SONY's new A cameras. I don't think they have another year before introducing a new EM-1. Way too much time with the way cameras are being introduced right now. But who knows. As far as Steve Huff getting his hands on a new Oly EM-1 before the year is over? Nope. It wouldn't make sense to upgrade the old EM-1 right before the new one comes out, unless Oly thinks that we would not upgrade from our cameras.