Is Samsungs NX camera going to kill m43?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lovemyoly, Mar 22, 2013.

1. lovemyoly

lovemyoly Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    I don't know very little about the NX. But saw one on a video clip on Youtube. One model looked as small as my little Oly m43 and the NX had a bigger sensor. And from what the guy was saying it sounded like it outdoes the m43. Like 8 frames a second drive and lots of other things.

What is your opinion on this NX system?
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    No first hand experience for me, but the thing that has kept me away from NX is the reportedly poor JPEG engine. I'm generally not a raw shooter.

If that changes I might be compelled to give one a try.

Seems unlikely it is quite ready to kill m4/3s though. If it has improved enough to be a threat that is a good thing in my mind. I like more choices and more competition.
  3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    They don't seem to sell a lot of them. The other samsung products I've had have mostly been pretty good though. I think they would have had more success joining the mFT consortium, since the thing that would keep me from buying samsung right now is the uncertainty of the NX system's future.

Having said that, I've been expecting Pentax to close(and yes, I would hate to see it) for years, since they only seem to have a smaller and smaller marketshare each year, but they're still in business. So apparently the sales numbers don't have to be HUEG to stay in the business of manufacturing digital cameras...
  4. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No reason the two systems can't exist independently of one another. If one system could "kill" another then either Nikon or Canon would now be all we could buy in the first place.

But the cameras do look cool - looks like they've got some neat lenses, and as was already said, Samsung is building some great electronics lately. It also bodes well for them that the third-party lens manufacturers seem to be on board, or at least Rokinon/Samyang/Bower is on board.
  5. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Regardless of the size of the sensor and other technical features, the whole execution looks consumer mass market centric to me. The capabilities and controls are not driven by the high end enthusiast or prosumer market.

m43 covers a much broader range, at least for now.
  6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON

What's with everyone using the word kill these days?
  7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I think the Samsung NX series camera means the death of m43. However, 1st Samsung needs to produce a camera where the NR doesn't make photos look like impressionist paintings above 800 ISO.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaha.. you are absolutely right....

Who will "kill" MFT?

Is it Canon?
    Is it FF cameras?
    Is it Nikon?
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Firstly, no company is going to "kill" another unless they're hiring assassins to take out their rivals. Here's a number of reasons why I don't think that Samsung will be the biggest threat to the market share of Micro 4/3:

The average photographer is totally brand conscious and likely wouldn't even try one out. Samsung is just the whitegoods and general consumer electronics company, not a traditional camera company, and perceptions take time to change. This creates a vicious cycle of poor resale value which makes them even less attractive.

Their jpegs aren't very good, mostly because they favour reduction of luminance noise over colour noise at higher ISOs which just removes detail but leaves weird colour splotching. Having said that, at 20MP the files do have some leeway. If you're prepared to put in the effort to process raws then the files are absolutely competitive, but not so much if you want the instant gratification of jpegs.

They don't currently have anywhere near the range of bodies and lenses of the Micro 4/3 system.

Armchair experts on the internet like to spread negative comments about things that they are not familiar with.

On the positive side, they have an APS-C sized sensor although that is neither here nor there compared to the latest Micro 4/3 sensors. The level of detail at 20MP is impressive with the 20mm and 30mm pancakes at the very least being capable of resolving that many pixels. Colour output is where I really love the Samsungs and they cause me less grief to get what I want compared to the E-M5. The other area where I have been really impressed is the quality of the build, materials, controls, and visual displays on the NX200 which is not a particularly expensive camera.

Disclosure: as you might tell from above I own an NX200 and the two 20mm and 30mm pancakes, which I bought used for a grand total of $401 (see my comment on resale value).
  10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    As far as I can tell, Samsung is full throttle on the NX series. Towards a cliff.