1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Panasonic on backfoot?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys :smile:
    Fiesty Bhupinder( my new title ) is back with some nonsense discussion:wink:. We all know that Oly has squeezed famous OMD sensor into their lower end camera bodies where as Panasonic have only GH3 to offer . I am wondering whats going on in Panasonic camp? Are they gonna use GH3 sensor in future GF , GX and G series? If they dont , they will be on backfoot as many people will find Oly PM2 and EPL5 more than enough to satisfy their needs for low light . Share your views . This is more important than US President elections :rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Maybe Panasonic will start buying Sony sensors, Nikon and Olympus already do :smile:

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i guess we will see new sensors for the upcoming successor to the GX series and eventually to the next GF lines...

:biggrin:

4. Perhaps, but you could also say that Olympus was on the back foot when Panasonic had the GH1 and GH2 sensors and Olympus didn't. This is just normal swings and roundabouts. Unless the two companies release their cameras model for model there will usually be differences in specs and capabilities as successive new models are released.

• Like Like x 2
  5. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Panny in trouble?

Yes Panasonic appears to be in quite a lot of trouble.

In its recent results, it announced a US$7bn loss and is likely to lose around US$10bn for the full year. Of course this isnt just down to cameras (which is a small part of the business) but reflects problems throughout its consumer electronics and TV operations. Panasonic didnt announce a dividend for the first time in over 30 years due to its financial difficulties. I havent seen its balance sheet but some analysts are warning of severe financial distress.

In M43, Panny has been rapidly losing market share in its large domestic home market as the table below shows....

TS560x560.

Olympus in grey
    Sony in blue
    Panny in brown
    Nikon in yellow

Panny used to dominate M43 with its sensors, now if anything, they are a drag on its own brand development. One assumes they have used a Sony sensor in the GH3 and will probably use one in the GX2 to compete with Oly's new Pens.

Overall we are benefiting from lots of competition in the system. However, it does seem that both Oly and Panny are financial basket cases.

6. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Curious... which companies are the blue and the red with the upward trends at the right hand side?

7. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Actually Olympus is in beige color, grey in bottom is Fuji

8. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    Red is Canon I think as they have released M series.

In my opinion Panny was in downturn as they haven't launched any new cameras with some huge sensor improvements when OM-D and NEX-7 started expansion. I'm curious how this chart will look like after GH3 relase and some new data from G5 sells.

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Red is Canon making a surge with the launch of the EOS-M
    Blue is the Pentax Q range

And just to add to those figures. Panasonic market share has fallen pretty sharply from around 32% to 17% in the last 6 months. Now that wouldnt be too bad if mirrorless itself was growing rapidly at the expense of DX and FX. With all the product launches in mirrorless this wouldnt be surprising. However mirrorless peaked as a percentage of total ILC sales in Japan in February at 52% as has since slid back to 47% or so. It seems that DX and FX DSLRs are selling very well far less competition in the market place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Worth remembering that the market is still expanding also, a downturn in market share might still turn out to be flat or expanding sales in real terms.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Also remember, it's not only about the sensor. Many people prefer Panasonic for the ergonomics of the bodies and the control layout. I have no doubt they are also currently working on something new - just wait for the rumors . . . :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's certainly more fun.

13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Exactly....at the end of elections ..there is gonna be only one President but in an other six months we may many MFT bodies and lenses and obviously its more important .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Remember when Sony was in financial trouble few years ago? Everyone was saying they're doomed. Panasonic will still be around.

15. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I don't think Panasonic will sit around and let Olympus have all the fun.

Remember that Olympus used iterations of the same sensor for three generations.

Remember that Panasonic was ahead by one generation with the GH2, G3, GX1 sensors.

But of course people are buying cameras, not just sensors.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I don't understand Olympus' approach here. I think they are going to seriously cannibalize sales of OMD to the cheaper brethren.

With their sensor situation, they may have had no choice, but it seems a stupid business decision to me.

17. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Maybe sales have broken even, or even plateau'd so that sales of the "same" product in a different package (so to speak) is necessitated. Or maybe they're just commited to the Lite and Mini lines.

18. It works for Canon (650D, 60D, 7D)

19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Better that they cannibalize those sales than Sony, Panasonic or Fuji because they insist on sticking with a 4.5 year old sensor. Besides, the Pens are mass market items. The volumes they sell at will more than make up for any slight decline in OM-D sales.

20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Surely people buy the whole camera package, not just the sensor? The Pen and OMD ranges are different concepts. I used Pens for a few years because the OMD didn't exist and when the E-M5 was released I bought it for it's design and handling. The improved sensor was a nice little bonus but I would still have bought it with the old 12mp sensor which was more than adequate for my type of work. Quite frankly, Olympus could introduce a Pen with 24mp and 2 stops extra DR and useable ISO over the E-M5 at half the price and I would still prefer the E-M5.

Might grumble about the price, though. :biggrin: