1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is panasonic M43 best camera for new member?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by phuctan139, Jan 31, 2012.

1. phuctan139

phuctan139 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    Hey guy,I have a stupid question : I am a new member of photography and i have saved money for a long time to buy a camera than i choose panasonic g2 but my friend say "why dont you save a little bit to take a DSLR" but i think G2 is good enought for me to take a picture like portrait or lanscape ?So my question is : is M43 camera survice for a long time when it have a crop sensor ? should i keep my G2 or just sell it and buy a new DSLR.I am so confused now :(

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Welcome onboard! This is not a stupid question at all. It is a very valid question that someone just getting into photography will ask.

Adding to the confusion, there are always people who feel that great pictures can only come out of a DSLR, but if you spend enough time on this site, you will find your answers. :wink:

In particular, look at the photo threads, particularly the 45mm f/1.8 thread, and some threads from the wider zooms, such at the 12mm f/2.0 and 7-14mm, etc...

If you are into portrait and landscape, m4/3, coupled with a good lens, is a great tool for you. The only time you might find a m4/3 lacking is if you are into sports photography, or if you take a lot of pictures in dimly lit environment...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You do know that the vast majority of DSLRs also have crop sensors, right? You will need to spend at least $2500 to get one that doesn't.

You already have the G2... are you happy with the photos it takes? Forget what your friend says. What is it in a DSLR that you think will make your photos better? And if your photos are lacking, have you looked into better lenses or lighting yet?
    Saving up your money to buy a DSLR with no reason behind it doesn't sound like informed advice to me at all. Those of us who adopted this system early (when prices were high) were saving up our pennies so we could afford to ditch our DSLRs and buy a mirrorless!

• Like Like x 2
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yep, most DSLRs have crop sensors too, so who cares what your friend says. The question is, do YOU like your camera or not?

• Like Like x 1
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There are plenty of DSLRs that are cheaper than CSCs. Personally, I don't distinguished between the two. One has a mirror. One doesn't. One has a OVF. One doesn't. In the end, neither one of those have anything to do with the quality of the image taken.

As for it being a crop sensor. I know what you mean, but I don't agree. It has a smaller sensor than many DSLRs. Remember, there were DSLRs with the exact same sensor size. So it's not a "crop" sensor, it's a smaller sensor. Even a full frame Canon 5D is a "crop" sensor compared to a Pentax 645.

• Like Like x 1
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I've seen plenty of people take crappy photos with their DSLRs, simply because they don't know what the hell they are doing. They just assumed the camera will make them better photographers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A master of an art , any art is not defined by his tools. A master uses whatever tools he has to make his art. If you gave a box of crayons to one of the renaissance masters they would make great works of art. Likewise if you give a Hassbald{a very expensive medium format camera - larger and better than any DSLR} to a monkey you will end up with lots of useless pictures. Find a camera that fits you needs and budget and even fits your hand! get comfortable with it and grow as a photographer. If in time the camera no longer fits your needs then move on to another camera. I started my photography experience with a simple 110 Kodak then moved to a 35mm Nikon point and shoot and then got better and better cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  8. phuctan139

phuctan139 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    thank you guy,i have learn alot from your comment,but you know i from vietnam and in here its very difficult to have a M43 lens and its very expensive so when i hear my friend's advice to change to DSLR i am confuse a little bit

anyway,i am very happy with 14-45 lumix and canon FD 50mm 1.4

once againt,thank you alot

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    There's nothing to be confused about. If you can't afford a new m4/3 lens, then how are you going to afford a new DSLR AND a new lens for it? If you just buy a DSLR you're going to get it with a kit lens which is likely nowhere near as good as your Lumix 14-45mm, and you will only be going backwards with worse quality until you spend another $1500 for a lens to go with that DSLR.

As well, there is no DSLR which will handle your Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 as well as your Micro Four-Thirds camera. On a DSLR the viewfinder will go dark as soon as you stop down that lens, you will not see live exposure from the lens, and you will not have any aids to manual focus. Unless you spend thousands of dollars on a pro-grade DSLR with crystal pentaprism, then you'll be saddled with a cheap pentamirror system which will not give you a clear view for manually focusing even with the lens wide open.

Honestly, I don't think your friend really knows what he's talking about...

I'm glad you're happy with your camera and lenses that you have. Don't let anybody take away that happiness! The grass is certainly not greener on the other side.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eternal Newbie

Eternal Newbie Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Wakefield, UK
    Paul Hardy
    +1. If you find it hard to get hold of new lenses, your M43 camera is the best tool to exploit 2nd hand glass via adapters imho

11. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    As Ned suggests the 14-45 Lumix is a very good lens and with the G2 I reckon you have a great combination for learning about photography.

12. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    One thing I have to agree with Ned. We saved our pennies in order to ditch dslr and now I'm trying to convince my wife to ditch her heavy nikon d300 with 105mm macro.

However to say, m43 has its limitation. I find that I can achieve better results with dslr when taking event photos. Perhaps it's because G3 is not accurate in colors n exposure or weak DR.

Even if so, I'm am still happy with it. I can bring so many more lenses and lighter tripod all in a small lowepro passport sling bag. It's not going to hurt my back too.

Other than these, small filters n lenses are cheaper than those of dslr's.

For a beginner, just focus on polishing your skills. U will know once you have outgrown your camera. By then, you can decide whether to buy dslr.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Ah, this brings back one of the more memorable comments I received from my Facebook photos. Once I posted a few from a photo walk, and one of my friends (who's also into photography) really liked one particular image, and asked what did I use. I said an E-PL1, and he didn't know much about it, so I just said it's not a DSLR, just a "small" camera. Then he says something like "Dude, these images will be much more awesome if you use a DSLR." And I told him "You have one of those - show me. :smile:" End of dicussion. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Thats funny...im actually in viet nam for tet this week. Everyone ive run into pretty much has no idea what the new MFT cameras are...they just think its a new advanced point n shoot.

Then they show me their rebels and d5100's only to choke on the cafe sua da when i disclose (at their request) the cost of my three prime lens outfit alone, trumping their entire dslr setup with kit lens. :redface: I let 'em have a go and the feedback has been more than positive to say the least. If i cant explore the full potential of a dslr its pretty useless to me. Different strokes for different folks. :wink:

15. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I absolutely love the 14 - 45 lens. It is by far my most used lens. And it will work great on a G1, G2, G3, or any other G that comes along.

As far as m4/3, I wouldn't go back to DSLR for anything.

16. phuctan139

phuctan139 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    but i worry about when i want to update my M43 the price will fall alot than DSRL,i mean that i buy g2 for ~450$ and after 1 year i sell it just max price is ~250-300$ but if i use DSLR it doesnt,how do you think about that.Because like i have said i am now a student and i dont have much money spent on camera

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Very Simple. Just do not sell it. Unless you are a student studding cinema (motion picture), you will get years of use out of it.

I am currently using a G1 and have no plans to sell it, until it falls apart. Its 3 years old and i plan to use it probably another 3 years.
    All electronics loos resale value as time goes by, even DSLR cameras. Your camera has less moving parts than a DSLR and therefor, less moving parts that could wear and break.
    The important thing to think of is not what you can sell for more later , but what will save you more money , now , while you use it.
    The G2 will let you buy many cheep good quality lenses, to be able to use on it and will cost you less to build a kit compared to a DSLR.
    I am not a Sports photographer, or Videographer but i think there is no better camera system I could get under a thousand dollars (USD) than ether one of the Panasonic G1, G2, G3 or GH1 cameras.
    Stop worrying. Start taking pictures and looking at second hand stores for good old lenses and, just enjoy your cameras for years to come.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Once you buy a camera, any camera, it's best to think of the money as gone forever. If you can't do that then you really can't afford it in the first place. The value is now in the photographs you create. A camera can be broken, lost or stolen. The only way to ensure these things don't happen is by not using it. If you're afraid to use it then you might as well keep the money in your pocket.

If, when it comes time to replace it, it still has some residual value on the used market that's a bonus. Although it would make a nice back-up to a new body.

A G2 with the 14-45 is an excellent combo. I can't think of any dslr in the same price range that will produce better images. Enjoy what you have now. Learn to create the best images you can. Find your equipment's limitations and work with them and around them. Some of the most loved photographs ever taken were with crappy lenses (by today's standards) and grainy b+w film. The vision of the photographer is far more important than the equipment. Learn to see.

Fred

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  19. phuctan139

phuctan139 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 30, 2012
    i have seen PASSION in all of your comment,now i love my camera so much,Thanks all for advice

20. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I was just going to add my own comments following on from Fred and RDM but I think you have got the picture:biggrin:
    Remember, apart from having a great camera you are also part of a terrific community on this forum - I have been amazed by the speed of response and depth of knowledge when I have asked for advice.
    One other thing - you mentioned earlier that there was only limited availability of :43: lenses in Vietnam. Remember that the :43: adventure is still pretty young, I'm sure that availability/supply will improve during the next few years.

• Like Like x 1