IS OMD EM5 update 1.6 safe?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tapper, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    My new OMD EM5 came with firmware 1.5 installed.

I see there is a 1.6 update available. But I've seen firmware updates cause problems on other cameras, so want to be sure this update has been problem free before using it. Thanks.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I upgraded mine from 1.5 to 1.6 last week without any problems. I've not noticed any improvements though, so if you're unsure, I wouldn't bother.

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  4. Idreamphoto

Idreamphoto Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    no pb for me

5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    So far I never had a problem with firmware updates for either the E-M5 or any attached lenses.

6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've had no issues with the 1.6 FW

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I heard it increases susceptibility to GAS. My source is notoriously unreliable ...

8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Within the last 3 weeks, I have purchased 2 OMD bodies and 7 Olympus M4/4 lenses and updated each to the latest firmware and did not have any problems with the process of updating them nor have I had any problems with the equipment afterwards. I did notice some changes after the updating that I did like, but no problems.

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've not had any problems with it.

10. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I have bought my E-M5 recently and updated the firmware from 1.2 to 1.4 and then from 1.4 to 1.6 the day I bought the camera (it needed that two steps). The update took an unexpected long time, so don't be surprised, if you have to wait for an hour. However, it finally succeeded and I have never experienced any problems since then.

11. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'll update, even though it doesn't have anything exciting like focus peaking.

12. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Wow, I was going to ask if I could float a loan, but you've obviously got no money left! :)

13. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    That does seem to be a very long time. Did you factor in the download time (e.g., from starting the updater until anything was finished)? Just flashing the new firmware to the cam shouldn't take much longer than a couple of minutes...

14. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I have a rather quick internet connection and that's about the time the whole process took. There isn't a good explanation what's going on during the process apart from the message that one must not separate the camera and the computer. It's reasonable to think, that the server Olympus is using might be very busy, but even then that was a rather long time. However, I have read in a German forum, that it also took about an hour for others.

15. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    It is nice being retired... ;) I would not of been able to purchase some of that equipment if I did not have some equipment to trade in. Also, the $900 that I will get back in rebates makes those purchases really nice, it pays to have a friend who will go with you to put the purchase of some of the equipment in their name in order to help you get back those rebates. :drinks:

16. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Not to ask a slightly off-topic question, but was is this talk about lens firmware updates?? I have not updated the firmware on my camera, but imagine that is done through connecting the camera through USB to get menu or user interface changes, but what exactly does a lens firmware update do and how do you update it?

I guess I should check my lenses as I have never updated any lens (or my E-M5 since buying it in September)

17. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Just goes to show the lengths we will go to in supporting our expensive habit!

18. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    The Olympus Updater also shows the firmware version of the attached lens. In case there is a newer one, it offers to update the lens firmware as well. In order to check all your lenses you have to attach them to the O-MD and every time restart the update program.

The updates in general (if available) usually improve the interoperability between older lenses and newer cameras and sometimes even improving AF speeds.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  20. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I was reading on Olympus site, that if your EM-5 is not updated to the latest firmware and you do not have the latest Olympus Digital Camera Updater, you should not try and update your lenses. I know that a few people stated that they were not going to update their EM-5, but then there may be a problem with your lenses if you are using outdated firmware on your lenses when your camera may have a newer firmware update. As for just what problems may arise when trying o update your lenses with outdated camera firmware updated.I do not know, but I do keep my entire system's firmware updated.