1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Is OMD EM1 II worth buying for Nokton 17.5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ondra, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Ondra

Ondra New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2018
    Do you think it is worth upgrading from OMD EM5 (1st version) to EM1 II, when I shoot 90% with the manual lens Nokton 17.5 f0.95? Will there be any significant difference? Thanks all for your comments and help.

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    You would be getting improved IBIS, sensor, image processor, and maybe some other things.

Only you can determine if that is worth the cost. If you are happy with what you currently get, I wouldn't see the need.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    You'll get focus peeking (not that I think that it's particularly accurate) and a slightly better sensor. You also get the ability to add lens data to the Exif. That's quite useful!

4. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Dammit. The E-M1ii does that too!

I guess I have to reserve that feature as something I will get whenever I upgrade.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If you don't have an issue gripping the PEN-F, that is also a great camera to use for manual focus and adapted lenses. It provides for input of MF/adapted lens data also.
    Buying used PEN-F will save you some money too...unless you really need the hot rod features of the EM1.2.

6. Ondra

Ondra New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2018
    Thank you guys. Nokton is quite heavy, so I have a grip on my current EM5. Thats why I thought the EM1 II would be the way to go. PEN-F is great, but I would have to add a grip, which does not fit to the PEN-F style. It seems that when shooting with the manual Nokton I would not really utilize benefits of the EM1 II, so I probably stay with EM5.

7. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    A good upgrade path would probably be a E-M5iii whenever it is released. It will most likely have the new sensor, upgraded IBIS, processor, peaking, lens profiles, and some other goodies we don't know about (hopefully.)

8. Ondra

Ondra New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2018
    Yeah, maybe this could be the way to go as well. Thanks for advice, I will wait. Another option is moving to digital FF, but I somehow dislike Sony A7 cameras. I have some Leica M mount glasses for my M6 film camera, so I thought I could use it. But I really enjoy Nokton 17.5 character and ability to close focus.

9. TNcasual

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    You can use that M glass on your E-M5. All it takes is a cheap dumb adapter.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    When I had the CV 17.5 I used with the Pen-F a lot and it works fine without a grip (but I do have a leather half case which improves the grip somewhat).

11. Ondra

Ondra New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2018
    Thats true. But then I loose 35mm focal length. I like the idea to shoot all things with one lens and 35mm is ideal for me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. x_holger

x_holger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Berlin, Germany
    The Voigtländer 17.5mm is rather heavy and big. I use a CV 42.5mm quite often and usually enjoy the bigger handgrip of the E-M1 Mk.I / II

13. Michael Schneider

Michael Schneider Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2017
    I use the em1 mkii with the really right stuff L bracket. I use multiple manual focus adapted lens, and the 4 voightlanders.

14. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I'd say no. The em1 ii won't add much to the 17.5. I'm still unsure if the huge cost of moving from Mk i to Mk ii is justified. If you are happy with the em5, there's no need to upgrade. Lots of great features for pro lenses, but little improvement for the 17.5. Maybe check out the Panasonic for a bigger evf. A bigger evf should make focussing easier.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As an owner of E-M5, E-M1 & E-M1 Mk II, using the latter is like chalk & cheese with the E-M5. Everything is so responsive on the E-M1 Mk II compared to the E-M5, plus the image quality is better, not to mention all the added features.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    He wonders if he should upgrade when his main lens is a manual focus CV 17.5. I like the 17.5 too, and find the pace of using it is quite different than a autofocus pro lens. With the CV, composing and focusing is probably a process that he enjoys (I do anyways), and a faster camera with loads of bells and whistles isn't really going to add much when using the CV 17.5. Maybe a Pen F is more suited to the 17.5. Try them both.

17. If you are using MF a worthy upgrade is anything with the latest large high resolution EVF - E-M5 II, E-M1 I or II. It's a lot easier to judge focus with the higher resolution EVF compared to the E-M5 I.

18. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Legend

If you are only using manual lenses, you might find that upgrading to FF to be a better use of your funds. The original A7 and A7 II are getting very cheap these days, even new.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And then another lens?!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.