1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Oly's built-in wireless trigger RF? What's its range?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    This is a companion thread to my recent other thread (https://www.mu-43.com/f42/newer-e-pl-models-maximum-sync-speed-over-1-160-manual-mode-16498/).

As I'm looking at Oly's E-PL models, I'm beginning to realize that I'll probably need an EVF to shoot in daylight. This is a problem that I could obviate with my GH1. But with the EVF sitting on the hot shoe, I won't be able to use my RF wireless trigger. Fortunately, Oly provides an answer with its built-in wireless trigger.

What is Oly's built-in wireless trigger like? Is it RF, which doesn't require line of sight from the remote flashes? Does it provide enough range for off-camera shooting? (With my Pixel Soldier RF trigger, I have no problem triggering from 30ft away.)

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Unfortunately, the Olympus Remote Commander is optical and does require a line of sight. It's not so great in bright daylight of course, akin to an optical slave.

I haven't had any problem with it though... The only time I must have the EVF is as you say in bright daylight. Then I don't normally need flash, and likewise when I really need flash I don't need the EVF. For those times in between (ie, like overcast days) the optical trigger still works perfect.

Especially if you use autofocus lenses, you'll probably find you can get a lot more accomplished with just the LCD than you realize. I use all manual focus lenses, so I need that EVF if the sun's out.

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I do a lot of my kids' photography, which makes it difficult to pick and choose the ambient light. If anything, it is more likely that my kids will be playing outside in sunny, bright daylight, generating more photo ops.

In bright daylight, I've found flash very useful in not just as fill to lift shadows but in creating more flattering photos using backlight as rim-light, etc.

So, unlike your situation, I do shoot a lot in bright sunlight, and when I do, I do need flash.