1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Olympus really going full-frame?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by mesmerized, May 9, 2016.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Yes it's true, rumor websites make up rumors to increase traffic and thus ad revenue.

I believe that was the real question being asked...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Whenever speculation about some new toy becomes overheated I like to amuse myself by going back and looking at previous rumors - olympus patent site:www.43rumors.com brings up some real gems, my favorite this session is:
    back when cpm was presumably higher you would at least read

at the bottom of such stories.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    @piggsy@piggsy every time I read your sig I'm reminded of my wife posting glitter in birthday cards with spring loaded "throwers" which would do just that on opening ...

pure evil ... I love that woman

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I thought they were moving to medium format and just skipping over the overdone 35mm market.

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    My cousin's husband's sister's daughter's aunt's brother's Uncle's son's grandchild is a senior engineer for Olympus told me last night (when I asked and bribed with a 1/5 of Patrón) that Olympus will introduce a Full Frame OMD with a complete line of Pro zooms in time for Christmas.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'd just be happy with a bit lower noise at high ISO and improved C-AF on the OMDs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. fishone0

fishone0 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    I love my M4/3 Olympus--Have full frame cameras --I wanted the lighter weight-- at my age lugging around a heavy DSLR-FF can be a challenge when hiking if Olympus goes this route I guess I will have to go to Panasonic M4/3rds

• Like Like x 1
  9. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    well if it's right, we will have more discounts then! :biggrin: especially the lenses hehehehe
    and the second hand market will be flooded with m43 lenses too since maybe old users moving to FF or new user buy the FF Olympus system

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Well, that's it then. Time to sell all my mu43 stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
  12. MetilHed

MetilHed Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Jeff
    Because of course they can't so both, and all of your current gear will stop working the day after they announce it. Is will also gain a brick's worth of weight overnight.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Mu-43 app

13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You're right, they can't do both. Look at a company like Sony, who has many more resources at their disposal, and even they focus solely on the FF market (yes yes, they launched the a6300, but look at the lens line-up (when was the last APS-C designed lens released?)). If Sony can't do it, there's no way that Olympus would be able to do it either.

While this is all pure speculation, the recent patent filing for the 3 (?) FF lenses from Olympus certainly is interesting. The initial thought was maybe they were doing it for Sony, but given the overlap in specs, that seems unlikely. Another thought was that Olympus was doing a camera similar to the RX1, but I remember one reader saying something to the extent of based on how the lenses were designed, they were for an interchangeable-lens camera and not a fixed-lens camera.

It's very interesting to see what Olympus is up to (if they even do anything at all).

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's long been the case that there are many more lens patents than lenses in production. I don't think we should read too much into it. Hitting the E-M1ii out of the park is, I'm sure, a much, much bigger focus for Oly than building a complete new FF system from the ground up.

15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Which Christmas?

16. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014

17. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Funny thing is is that my Olympus cameras are full frame they are the largest digital sensor I own. They only aren't full fame when I use a lens that doesn't cover the sensor.

:rolleyes::rolleyes-38:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    IIRC out of the last dozen lenses Olympus has patented only two or three are for a ILC, lately they've been busy designing lenses for camera phones and projectors... As for actual cameras the most interesting thing that's come up lately is a rangefinder where the mechanism is moved electronically rather than mechanically (theoretically they could make a m4/3 with a manual focus rangefinder window, however it seems more likely this is just so someone else can't patent it).

Some of the camera phone stuff is interesting though and I'm intrigued if there's a client or if it's patenting for patents sake, they've made some really compact large sensor designs (1 inch IIRC, large for a phone).

19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Honestly, while I know that it would be an absolutely terrible business decision for Olympus or Panasonic to make a full-frame mirrorless camera, I've become so frustrated with the inability for any of the non-M4/3 mirrorless manufacturers to incorporate basic features like touchscreens and/or fully-articulated monitors that I'd actually be interested in one solely as a digital back for legacy lenses to get a smaller crop factor. It's hard to go back to anything else after using touchpad-AF for focus point selection. On my cameras that don't have touchscreens I just focus-and-recompose, and hope that I have sufficient DoF to cover the focal plane error, because direct focus point selection is so tedious otherwise...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

It ain't over till the fat lady singing is photographed with a digital OM mount camera.